Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solicitation of Advice
You have so few GE courses, and so many Free Electives, I'm not sure where to send you. I'm thinking UMPI or COSC as the cheapest options.

For UMPI's BLS or BAS, you would go through the link that tells you how to get your GEC credits; you have Biological Science and Lab, English Comp I, US History I, and Intro to Soc; everything else will need to be completed. For the BAS, since you have an AAS in Fire, you just need to get whatever they tell you is available as a minor; for the BLS, you would choose a minor and do English Comp II and a few electives and be done.

For COSC's BSLS, you could use Fire as half of your concentration, then you'd need to choose something to go with it (probably Psych?).

Another option might be APU/AMU, which has Fire as a Bachelor's Degree - with an AAS, I'm not certain how they'd bring it in, though I know they accept ACE credit; I'd see if their Momentum CBE program is going for that degree as well, and see what it would take to finish that degree.

TESU is going to be your most expensive option, and has the fewest space available for Free Electives, so I don't recommend them for your purposes.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-29-2021, 12:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You have so few GE courses, and so many Free Electives...

Yes. No one explained to 18 year old me the difference between an AAS, an AS, and an AA.  37 year old me learned that an AAS degree means that you don't take many gen ed's because it is supposed to be a terminal degree.  If I had known that at the time I would not have gotten the first AAS as I always planned to continue my education.

(07-29-2021, 12:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For UMPI's BLS or BAS, you would go through the link that tells you how to get your GEC credits; you have Biological Science and Lab, English Comp I, US History I, and Intro to Soc; everything else will need to be completed.  For the BAS, since you have an AAS in Fire, you just need to get whatever they tell you is available as a minor; for the BLS, you would choose a minor and do English Comp II and a few electives and be done.

I looked at the BAS degree and it lists the same Gen Ed's as the other degrees at UMPI. Is that incorrect?

BAS Curriculum

I would prefer not to get a BAS if I can avoid it as, like the AAS before it, my research into them (when I was looking at Waldorf U) told me it is a terminal degree and will hurt my chances of moving on to a master's degree later.
(08-01-2021, 01:25 PM)a_dblu Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 12:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For UMPI's BLS or BAS, you would go through the link that tells you how to get your GEC credits; you have Biological Science and Lab, English Comp I, US History I, and Intro to Soc; everything else will need to be completed.  For the BAS, since you have an AAS in Fire, you just need to get whatever they tell you is available as a minor; for the BLS, you would choose a minor and do English Comp II and a few electives and be done.

I looked at the BAS degree and it lists the same Gen Ed's as the other degrees at UMPI. Is that incorrect?

BAS Curriculum

I would prefer not to get a BAS if I can avoid it as, like the AAS before it, my research into them (when I was looking at Waldorf U) told me it is a terminal degree and will hurt my chances of moving on to a master's degree later.

All of UMPI's degrees - on campus and in YourPace - all have to complete the same GEC which is the gen eds. 

You can complete the BLS in YourPace. I graduated with my BLS and 3 minors back in March. The BLS has not hindered my ability to get into a grad program at all. I'm currently attending Charleston Southern University in the MS Project Management degree. I'll be switching to WGU this fall. I prefer the competency based program versus the traditional term based schedule program.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 128 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,847 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 559 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 372 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 17 1,020 03-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Advice: Associates Chilow 14 1,275 03-17-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Look for advice about choosing CS degree Humphrey141 2 207 03-12-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: davewill
Big Grin Degree Planning Advice - Pierpont to UMPI or WGU ElBert 11 547 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for some input/advice kyledudedog 5 295 03-05-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 4 300 03-04-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Priszilla