Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Advice on Accounting
I have a question about the grade levels. When it says something like, "One year of related experience equivalent to the GS-5 level," how can I tell what that kind of experience is? Is it indicated in the job posting?
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
(02-17-2019, 03:47 PM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: I have a question about the grade levels. When it says something like, "One year of related experience equivalent to the GS-5 level," how can I tell what that kind of experience is? Is it indicated in the job posting?

Yes, they give a detailed description in the job announcement. 

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513802600

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/515288900

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/523937300

For anyone who has one of the degrees listed (or equivalent experience) but doesn't have at least 24 accounting credits yet, I recommend applying for the Revenue Officer position to get your foot in the door. There's no telling when the IRS is going to have another hiring surge like this. I don't know how many positions are left because a lot of internal applicants have transferred from lower-paying positions, and the application cutoff for the first wave of external hires was back in November 2018.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
(02-17-2019, 03:47 PM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: I have a question about the grade levels. When it says something like, "One year of related experience equivalent to the GS-5 level," how can I tell what that kind of experience is? Is it indicated in the job posting?
 GS-05 is the grade one could expect to start at with a bachelor's degree. So, when they say one year experience equivalent to GS-05 it would be like graduating from college and working one year in an accounting position. If you have a Master's degree, you qualify for GS-09 based on your education. The OPM website covers this for the federal government. Accounting is the 0510 series.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes UptonSinclair's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
Some of the IRS positions have distinct series. Revenue Officers are 1169, Revenue Agents are 0512, and IRS Special Agents are 1811. Within series, there can be special requirements depending on the agency. For example, 1811 is the criminal investigator series, but only IRS Special Agents are required to have 15 credit hours in accounting. An 1811 working for DOJ or ICE wouldn't need to have any accounting credits. And, IRS Special Agents can qualify based on experience, but that experience has to be in accounting or auditing investigations.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • UptonSinclair
(02-17-2019, 11:29 PM)sanantone Wrote: Some of the IRS positions have distinct series. Revenue Officers are 1169, Revenue Agents are 0512, and IRS Special Agents are 1811. Within series, there can be special requirements depending on the agency. For example, 1811 is the criminal investigator series, but only IRS Special Agents are required to have 15 credit hours in accounting. An 1811 working for DOJ or ICE wouldn't need to have any accounting credits. And, IRS Special Agents can qualify based on experience, but that experience has to be in accounting or auditing investigations.

I'm hoping there are a bunch of openings when I'm finally ready. Preferably a position that allows some telework eventually. My daydream is to one day mostly work from home. I'm really hoping that accounting is one of those things that just makes sense to me immediately. I've done a lot of the study.com accounting courses, not for credit, just using a teacher account. Unfortunately, they were really easy, so, probably nothing like a real accounting class. I was thinking of ordering Wiley's FAR review and working out of that for now until my courses at WGU startup.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
upton, I recognized your username and checked your thread out. I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I tried getting a BSBA in Accounting years ago. Instead I gave up and started working in the accounting field. 4/5 years later I'm coming back to get a general business degree so I can pursue my MBA. Best of luck getting your second degree!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Publius's post:
  • UptonSinclair
(02-19-2019, 04:23 PM)Publius Wrote: upton, I recognized your username and checked your thread out. I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I tried getting a BSBA in Accounting years ago. Instead I gave up and started working in the accounting field. 4/5 years later I'm coming back to get a general business degree so I can pursue my MBA. Best of luck getting your second degree!

Thank you for the encouraging words. I am almost done with this session at TESU and will be taking a couple of more courses at APUS to finish my degree. I am not thrilled with the workload of the courses at TESU. This auditing course is a nightmare. If I finish both of these classes with the 73% I need to get credit for them, I will be thrilled.

Good luck with your general business degree. It was my BSBA that allowed me to leave the trades and enter federal service as a civilian.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice tpell1219 17 784 03-31-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 361 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,322 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA Accounting 2nd Degree at TESU. mog538 10 1,172 10-06-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Managerial Accounting for TESU BSBA Entrepreneurship schlocker 3 513 09-21-2023, 03:35 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Good study advice for my TECEPS? kowenboy 3 421 09-01-2023, 11:53 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci trying2grad 10 769 08-20-2023, 12:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Accounting Electives Advice Chudson 0 330 07-11-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Chudson
  Advice: Taking a bunch of writing TECEPs tomorrow. CanICode 10 1,258 05-28-2023, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU - Accounting Credit Options allvia 8 1,149 05-11-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore