Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Humanities Majors Fare Better than Business and CJ
A couple of years ago, CJ and business did have some of the highest underemployment rates according to a PayScale study. 

I don't exactly agree with the author calling business and CJ vocational. They don't teach a vocation. CJ is a social science, and I think a more appropriate term for business would be "applied." TESU uses the term "applied professional."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/study-offer...1540546200

I don't have a humanities degree, but since the job market recovered in Texas, I've never had a problem using my social science degree to land a job that requires a degree. It's all a matter of being willing to work with special populations and depressing situations. I've only had my business degree for a little over a year, and maybe my experience is affected by my past work experience, but having a business degree has done nothing for me so far. Of course, this is just an anecdote.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think that unless you're going entry level into one of the business specialties (accounting, marketing, finance) out of college, a BSBA just becomes a tick the box, "Yes, I have a degree" sort of thing. Of course, that's true for a lot of degrees out there.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I think the BSBA is marginally better than the BALS, but only if you're working in the business world, and then only because having taken some of the business classes helps to learn the language of the business world. When you go to a meeting where they use the jargon, or talk about certain topics, they assume that you understand it. After taking multiple business courses years ago, I found that I had more interest in our quarterly update meetings - very business-y, lots of looking at income statements and balance sheets, discussing profits and losses, projections, etc. It was VERY helpful to know a lot of what they were talking about. Also, when I later went and took Management & Marketing CLEP exams, I passed them cold easily with this prior knowledge. So maybe the DEGREE isn't necessarily as helpful as the actual COURSES were.

If you aren't working in business, or aren't involved in these types of meetings, the degree isn't really applicable, and doesn't do much for you. At that point, whatever degree is most popular/important in your field is the one you should get; even the BALS, if you can get it quickly and cheaply.

I can imagine many fields where the BSBA will do absolutely nothing for you. At that point, maybe if you want to move up in management somewhere, then an MBA might be useful. Again, because you may learn the skills you may need from the courses you take, not because the degree is so great.

It really just depends on what your career is.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-29-2018, 12:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think the BSBA is marginally better than the BALS, but only if you're working in the business world, and then only because having taken some of the business classes helps to learn the language of the business world.  When you go to a meeting where they use the jargon, or talk about certain topics, they assume that you understand it.  After taking multiple business courses years ago, I found that I had more interest in our quarterly update meetings - very business-y, lots of looking at income statements and balance sheets, discussing profits and losses, projections, etc.  It was VERY helpful to know a lot of what they were talking about.  Also, when I later went and took Management & Marketing CLEP exams, I passed them cold easily with this prior knowledge.  So maybe the DEGREE isn't necessarily as helpful as the actual COURSES were.

If you aren't working in business, or aren't involved in these types of meetings, the degree isn't really applicable, and doesn't do much for you.  At that point, whatever degree is most popular/important in your field is the one you should get; even the BALS, if you can get it quickly and cheaply.

I can imagine many fields where the BSBA will do absolutely nothing for you.  At that point, maybe if you want to move up in management somewhere, then an MBA might be useful.  Again, because you may learn the skills you may need from the courses you take, not because the degree is so great.

It really just depends on what your career is.

I mean it hasn't done anything for me as far as getting jobs. There are a lot of sales and marketing jobs, but you can do that with any degree.

Like I said, it might be that I can easily get a counseling or social services job because of the work experience I already have. However, the high underemployment rate for business majors shows that there's a general problem. I think the problem is a combination of the degree being broad but not very deep and the fact that a few hundred thousand people graduate with this degree every year.

I did find marketing and management to be easy because of my social science background. Those two subjects are essentially applied sociology and psychology.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Business 150 - Figure It Out. bjcheung77 0 434 09-28-2022, 03:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Interested in International Business? burbuja0512 2 1,185 06-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Warning: MUST Have STEM or Business Degree burbuja0512 11 2,912 02-25-2018, 04:58 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  What sort of entry-level business-related jobs are there? Thorne 11 2,440 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Bibby
  Who has an online business? bjcheung77 3 1,175 07-19-2016, 02:04 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  The Better Business Bureau is a Scam in Itself sanantone 20 3,238 10-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Getiton1
  Decided on NCU for a PhD in Business Administration ryoder 34 4,388 03-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Last Post: ryoder
  Starting a Business (Making a hobby into something more) Advice Please! Riley2012 4 1,128 02-17-2013, 03:51 AM
Last Post: Riley2012
  off topic - starting our business! cookderosa 24 3,002 08-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Elinor