Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia APA Question
I used APA 6 with Sophia last month and never had any remarks on citations. I mostly just use the citation generator on OWL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rpmranger's post:
  • Pikachu
(08-30-2020, 03:35 PM)tallpilot Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 11:59 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 11:00 AM)tallpilot Wrote: I think it is likely they are using APA6. The updates in 7 are de minimus, the most significant being the elimination of the absurdly redundant “retrieved from” verbiage for electronic sources.

I agree with the others suggesting that it doesn’t matter. I understand, as a matter of pride, wishing to receive as high a mark as possible but the point of these pass/fail alternatives is improving the speed and cost of credentialing. So take your pass and keep moving.

I'm not just trying to pass though. I take pride in my grades. I have lost several points over this APA thing. It's driving me nuts. My transcripts to show a grade from Sophia not a pass/fail.

I understand.  I'm waiting for my last physics lab to be graded and it will determine if I get an A or an A-.  I will be irritated if I end up with the -.  Rachel is correct though.  You are the only one who will ever care.

If it bothers you so much, may I suggest using SDC for courses with APA citing requirements?  Then you can resubmit if you get dinged.  I find the whole concept obnoxiously capricious though.

I'm almost done with the Sophia English Composition II class and then I won't have to deal with this nonsense...LOL This is why I much prefer tests. At least with multiple choice you can find out why you're wring easily - usually.

(08-30-2020, 04:06 PM)rpmranger Wrote: I used APA 6 with Sophia last month and never had any remarks on citations. I mostly just use the citation generator on OWL.

Thanks! I'm going to use APA 6 on my next paper instead of APA 7. I am thinking that is the difference. I use the citation generator from Scribbr.
(08-30-2020, 02:20 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 01:43 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 11:59 AM)ss20ts Wrote: There are some big differences between 6 and 7. One of them is when there's 20 or more authors. The formatting has changed so you don't list all of the authors. I got dinged on this yesterday.

The Purdue Owl links Sophia includes are not consistent. One is APA 6 and one is APA 7. I will check with them on the chat when it's open during the week.

I never check in deep the differences between APA 6 & 7, but to cite a 20 or more authors article is pretty rare; actually, 20 or more authors source (book, article, etc) are extremly rare. I remember a specific physic paper about weird issue that include 100+ authors, but again, it is so strange.

In the other hand, i use APA 6 when i wrote my Sophia papers, i didn't get any feedback in my refernce section, i think as students learning propouse, the reference section may include a similar-APA style that include the main information of the source "Authors, year, title, source, number, volume, etc", but they don't go so deep on the references details.

Oh I know it's rare. I have a journal article that has something like 30 authors. Kind of crazy. I am going to switch to APA 6 with my next paper and see if that changes the complaints on my references. I use a APA citation generator and have for quite awhile. i've never been marked off for my references in the past. That's what's so confusing. I wrote papers weekly at CSU Global and was never marked off for the way my citations were done. That's why I think they aren't using APA 7. Wish they would make it clear on Sophia which APA they're using. The 20 author thing isn't the only change. 

https://owll.massey.ac.nz/referencing/ap...dition.php

Key changes at a glance
  • Et al.: “et al.” is used in the first in-text citation for works with three or more authors.

• Up to 20 authors cited: In the reference list, give the surnames and initials for up to 20 authors.

• Website names: Website names are now included as well as the webpage title.

• Publication location: The location of the publisher (i.e., city, country/state code) is no longer required.

• Ebook publisher: You no longer need to give the platform, format, or device (e.g., Kindle) for ebooks, but you do need give the publisher.

• "Retrieved from": You no longer need to write “Retrieved from” before a URL.

• DOIs: DOIs are formatted the same as URLs. You do not need to write "DOI."

That's true, APA 6 use in text up to 5 authors, what is so bad and unfriendly for readers, it is like: Smith, Johnson, Rhea, Kraemer & Garcia (2019) states that...

In APA 7 it is just Smith et al., (2019), i always like Vancouver format more than APA... it also use et al. after 3 authors...

Again, i use APA 6 for Sophia English I & II, i cite 4 authors paper in text and no feedback about it, so using APA 6 is ok, i think you can use 6 or 7 but dont mix.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(08-30-2020, 04:06 PM)rpmranger Wrote: I used APA 6 with Sophia last month and never had any remarks on citations. I mostly just use the citation generator on OWL.

I prefer Zoterobib ( https://zbib.org/ ). It's completely free and doesn't try to get you to sign up for anything like the OWL citation generator complains to me.
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu, rpmranger
(09-09-2020, 05:47 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

I prefer Zoterobib ( https://zbib.org/ ). It's completely free and doesn't try to get you to sign up for anything like the OWL citation generator complains to me.

I'll try it, thanks. I don't necessarily like the OWL one. Besides watching the 30 second ad once a day, I still have to manually edit it many times to change things anyway. The only reason I even use them is just because it pulls all the info from weblinks, like dates and multiple authors ... usually.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rpmranger's post:
  • ClockworkHammer
(09-09-2020, 11:12 AM)rpmranger Wrote: I'll try it, thanks. I don't necessarily like the OWL one. Besides watching the 30 second ad once a day, I still have to manually edit it many times to change things anyway. The only reason I even use them is just because it pulls all the info from weblinks, like dates and multiple authors ... usually.

Yeah, ZBib does that, too. It's not perfect but it can usually glean all the relevant info from URLs. When it fails, it's not too difficult to edit the result to fix it.
Mine just turned in their 5th paper for English Comp 2 and are using the citation generator from Scribbr also. One of the last graders commented that all the APA formatting was done correctly.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

I am currently using APA 7, which has changed from the previous version and is easier to use for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 350 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 774 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,380 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,319 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 335 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 654 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 926 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 216 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 888 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 359 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle