Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Accounting @ TESU
Does anyone know if the Sophia accounting course comes in as ACC101 (Financial Accounting) or ACC102 (Managerial Accounting) with TESU? Just going by the descriptions of each one, it sounds like it matches managerial accounting better. But I'm not TESU.
ACC-101
You can always ask TESU to confirm.
Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Ah well.

I'm going to finish Sophia before I contact TESU. I'm kinda working on a plan of where to go after Sophia but I don't have anything concrete yet.
I'd still check with TESU. But in March, when the sophia-tesu transfer list was showing on sophia website, it was ACC 101.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

It's ACC-101.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Stick to your current plan of finishing off the Sophia.org courses, as long as they don't duplicate the courses you already have. When you're about done, apply to the school of your choice and get that evaluation. Revise your courses in your degree plan if needed and finish whichever courses you have left.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • rachel83az
(04-29-2020, 03:12 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Stick to your current plan of finishing off the Sophia.org courses, as long as they don't duplicate the courses you already have.  When you're about done, apply to the school of your choice and get that evaluation.  Revise your courses in your degree plan if needed and finish whichever courses you have left.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, mostly. Just been doing a bit more planning in between taking Sophia courses. Right now, I'm looking at a BA in either English or Communications and another in Computer Science, with an ASNSM in Mathematics and an AS in Business Administration.

Yes, I realize that this is terribly convoluted and ambitious but I do have a specific career goal in mind now! 

1. I need some sort of technical degree and CS looks like the best way to get one.
  2. English or Communications would most likely boost my ability to find a job in my chosen field. 
  3. With all the math I have to take to get CS, I might as well use that to pick up a math degree if I can. Hopefully, it'll look good on resume.
  4. ASBA - I'd only have to pay for a few extra credits from Davar to get this one, so why not? I think this'll also help with getting a job.
  5. 4 degrees, 1 lib. arts capstone. 
I don't want to deal with TESU at all until I am sure that this is at least in the realm of feasibility for me. Last time I was here, Shmoop was still a thing and it gave me such bad nightmares (well, almost) that, along with RL stuff happening, I just didn't keep up with any degree plans. I don't want to re-enroll in TESU and then drop out again.
(04-29-2020, 05:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 03:12 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Stick to your current plan of finishing off the Sophia.org courses, as long as they don't duplicate the courses you already have.  When you're about done, apply to the school of your choice and get that evaluation.  Revise your courses in your degree plan if needed and finish whichever courses you have left.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, mostly. Just been doing a bit more planning in between taking Sophia courses. Right now, I'm looking at a BA in either English or Communications and another in Computer Science, with an ASNSM in Mathematics and an AS in Business Administration.

Yes, I realize that this is terribly convoluted and ambitious but I do have a specific career goal in mind now! 

1. I need some sort of technical degree and CS looks like the best way to get one.
  2. English or Communications would most likely boost my ability to find a job in my chosen field. 
  3. With all the math I have to take to get CS, I might as well use that to pick up a math degree if I can. Hopefully, it'll look good on resume.
  4. ASBA - I'd only have to pay for a few extra credits from Davar to get this one, so why not? I think this'll also help with getting a job.
  5. 4 degrees, 1 lib. arts capstone. 
I don't want to deal with TESU at all until I am sure that this is at least in the realm of feasibility for me. Last time I was here, Shmoop was still a thing and it gave me such bad nightmares (well, almost) that, along with RL stuff happening, I just didn't keep up with any degree plans. I don't want to re-enroll in TESU and then drop out again.

Well for English or Comm combined with comp sci would only be one degree, like a double major. But they only give you one diploma. Speaking from experience once you have a bachelors associates degrees are kind of worthless.

But if you do the BA computer science you would basically almost already have the ASMN math, especially if you take advantage of all the free sophia and aleks math. So you could get associates in Science major math with basically no extra work from the BA in comp sci. So obviously do this degree if you are going for BA comp sci.

The associates in business would require 15 extra credits that don't fit into your other degrees. I figured this because the business requirement for that degree is 18 credits, but you would have intro to computers done. And the only one of those you could do for free (unless clep centers open) is accounting from sophia. So this should be your last priority and idk if it would be worth it.

As far as English vs Comm. The Communication degree can't be fully tested out of. So unless you get financial aid and your plan is to take at least 16 credits at TESU, I'd go with English. However, the English degree depends on CLEPs to make it happen and currently, CLEP is not available. Plus, who knows if TESU will changes the Lit CLEPs to 3 credits instead of 6 and that could ruin the whole thing.

I'm not saying don't go for all these degrees, it can be done. I just figured so you should know all these things. But yes a computer sci/Eng (or comm) and asba and asnm in math is all possible and doable it just might take some work.
(04-29-2020, 10:56 AM)natshar Wrote: Well for English or Comm combined with comp sci would only be one degree, like a double major. But they only give you one diploma. Speaking from experience once you have a bachelors associates degrees are kind of worthless.
I thought it was two degrees. So I could technically bypass the two-degree limit and get a third degree from TESU this way? Or do they count as two degrees in that way?

And, in the US, sure; associates are generally worthless. But, in certain European countries, the more paper you have the better. It doesn't matter if you have 10-20 years of experience in a given field; without a degree, they're not hiring you. It's just a tad bit ridiculous. For some European unis/countries, I don't even count as having graduated school (by their standards) so I couldn't start taking classes here even if they were in session.

Quote:But if you do the BA computer science you would basically almost already have the ASMN math, especially if you take advantage of all the free sophia and aleks math. So you could get associates in Science major math with basically no extra work from the BA in comp sci. So obviously do this degree if you are going for BA comp sci.
That's what I figured; since it's free, why not?

Quote:The associates in business would require 15 extra credits that don't fit into your other degrees. I figured this because the business requirement for that degree is 18 credits, but you would have intro to computers done. And the only one of those you could do for free (unless clep centers open) is accounting from sophia. So this should be your last priority and idk if it would be worth it.
It's definitely not super high up on the list, but it does look interesting and there are a few things there that I'd like to learn anyway. I might as well get credit for them. Between Davar/Saylor/InstaCerta/OnlineDegree, the financial cost is pretty low.

Quote:As far as English vs Comm. The Communication degree can't be fully tested out of. So unless you get financial aid and your plan is to take at least 16 credits at TESU, I'd go with English. However, the English degree depends on CLEPs to make it happen and currently, CLEP is not available. Plus, who knows if TESU will changes the Lit CLEPs to 3 credits instead of 6 and that could ruin the whole thing.
Ugh, that's a shame. There's no way around the CLEP requirement? CLEP is almost certainly out of the question; unless they do bring their services online. That's a PITA. I don't mind taking a course through an online CC, though, if it's relatively cheap and can be transferred in. But I do object to paying TESU rates for credits.
(04-29-2020, 12:02 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
Quote:As far as English vs Comm. The Communication degree can't be fully tested out of. So unless you get financial aid and your plan is to take at least 16 credits at TESU, I'd go with English. However, the English degree depends on CLEPs to make it happen and currently, CLEP is not available. Plus, who knows if TESU will changes the Lit CLEPs to 3 credits instead of 6 and that could ruin the whole thing.
Ugh, that's a shame. There's no way around the CLEP requirement? CLEP is almost certainly out of the question; unless they do bring their services online. That's a PITA. I don't mind taking a course through an online CC, though, if it's relatively cheap and can be transferred in. But I do object to paying TESU rates for credits.

I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the English degree needs CLEP. Idk for sure though maybe someone else can chime in.

And yes the communications degree has mass com I, mass com II, and comm theory all of which there are no alt credit for. And only mass com I can be found easily online from CC for cheap that I know of. But if you get financial aid like pell grant or tuition reimbursement or other scholarships it might be worth it to take 16 credits at TESU because with aid it might be cheaper than paying the wavier.

So hope this makes sense but a degree within the same school within TESU (business, liberal arts, public service, etc.) is a double major not two not degrees. So since computer science and English are in the same school it is a double major. You can't triple major. So if you want to do English, Communication and computer science you have to pick two. And in the end you only get one diploma and it says "Bachelor of Arts" on it with no major. However, your transcript would list your major.

A second Bachelors degree as in a second piece of paper would require choosing something from a different school and different capstone and more UL courses. This would also take longer since you probably wouldn't want to take two capstones at the same time so 24 weeks of courses at TESU. And on top of that with the two capstones and cornerstone you would already be at 9 credits you might as well take 16 to avoid the wavier.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 17 2,482 04-21-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 589 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 489 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 516 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 271 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,313 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 247 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 396 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 307 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 285 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27