Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Chemistry Lab and Chemistry 1 info
I saw lots of people asking so I thought I'd share.
I took Chemistry 1 and Chemistry 1 Lab on Sophia.
Here is some info on those classes.

Chemistry 1:
Hours - 8 hours of actual work, no Touchstones.
Difficulty - Starts very easy then quickly gets very challenging on the Milestones.

Chemistry 1 Lab:
The course has 15 Virtual Labs that you have to do, and 2 of those Labs have a Touchstone associated with them where you write a lab report.
Each lab takes between 30 minutes and 1.5 hours.
The 2 lab reports are super easy, you just do them while you're doing the Lab and fill in the info as you go. They were each graded within a few days.
Total Length of time - about 13 hours

The virtual lab will not run on an old computer or a slow internet connection. My old laptop met the minimum specs, but the lab program was so laggy, it was unplayable. The labs have some glitches, I had to restart due to getting stuck, multiple times (and that is added into the final time, so you could finish faster)
[-] The following 2 users Like BigJohn1975's post:
  • KSoul, origamishuttle
Thank you Big John!
(01-01-2023, 08:13 PM)BigJohn1975 Wrote: I saw lots of people asking so I thought I'd share.
I took Chemistry 1 and Chemistry 1 Lab on Sophia.
Here is some info on those classes.

Chemistry 1:
Hours - 8 hours of actual work, no Touchstones.
Difficulty - Starts very easy then quickly gets very challenging on the Milestones.

Chemistry 1 Lab:
The course has 15 Virtual Labs that you have to do, and 2 of those Labs have a Touchstone associated with them where you write a lab report.
Each lab takes between 30 minutes and 1.5 hours.
The 2 lab reports are super easy, you just do them while you're doing the Lab and fill in the info as you go. They were each graded within a few days.
Total Length of time - about 13 hours

The virtual lab will not run on an old computer or a slow internet connection. My old laptop met the minimum specs, but the lab program was so laggy, it was unplayable. The labs have some glitches, I had to restart due to getting stuck, multiple times (and that is added into the final time, so you could finish faster)

Helpful to know; thanks for the details.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
I would agree with BigJohn's assessment. Overall the Chemistry course was challenging and I learned a lot. Some of the milestones are very difficult even with the open book aspect. That said I finished the whole course in about 2 days time including the lab. It's very "doable" if you're motivated.
I've been working through both these classes for the last two days and have just gotten to my first lab report. So far, the labs are really fun and interesting. The actual chemistry class is making my eyes go cross, but I can see that the parts of chemistry that I understand better come up toward the end so I'm looking forward to that.

This is possibly a stupid question, but I can't find the answer anywhere: when submitting the lab report, do I submit the Labster template that I've filled out, or do I need to write out the lab report separately?
I concur with the assessments. There is some math involved in both the Chemistry Class and the labs which may be challenging for those with limited algebra knowledge. Overall, the labs are pretty straightforward and simple, but there have been a few times I have been "stuck" on an area of not knowing how to fill a beaker, etc.
MTAW Certified Municipal Treasurer - Wisconsin 
IAAP Certified Administrative Professional
Administrative Professional Associate Degree - Madison College

Next up: Bachelor's Degree 

(01-01-2023, 08:45 PM)joshua27 Wrote: I would agree with BigJohn's assessment.  Overall the Chemistry course was challenging and I learned a lot.  Some of the milestones are very difficult even with the open book aspect.  That said I finished the whole course in about 2 days time including the lab.  It's very "doable" if you're motivate
Joshua27

When you say you did it in 2 days, is that studying a solid 8 hour day or how many hours did it take you each day? I realize this can vary, but, I am wondering what your experience was? My son was debating between the Intro to Chem Lab/lecture course on Sophia and the SDC BIO101L course for UMPI to meet the lab course requirement. He has not had Algebra in about 3 years since High School and Chemistry can sound intimidating vs. Biology so this is good information.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker

(01-08-2023, 11:55 PM)sksandorff90 Wrote: I've been working through both these classes for the last two days and have just gotten to my first lab report. So far, the labs are really fun and interesting. The actual chemistry class is making my eyes go cross, but I can see that the parts of chemistry that I understand better come up toward the end so I'm looking forward to that.

This is possibly a stupid question, but I can't find the answer anywhere: when submitting the lab report, do I submit the Labster template that I've filled out, or do I need to write out the lab report separately?

sksandorff90

For the Intro to Chem course Lab, is there a separate fee for Labster and does my son need to subscribe to it or is the cost included in the cost of his Sophia subscription?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Quote:sksandorff90

For the Intro to Chem course Lab, is there a separate fee for Labster and does my son need to subscribe to it or is the cost included in the cost of his Sophia subscription?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Labster is included in the fee.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow GEC Critical & Creative Thinking Learning Objective D - Sophia equivalents? mythomagician 2 83 03-27-2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 850 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 197 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
  Sophia Classes for BA Psych? CollegeBraveB 2 289 03-01-2024, 09:10 PM
  Completed! BAS Minor in Info Systems & Project Management mohelena02 4 417 02-25-2024, 07:14 PM
  BABA v BLS Project Management - All Sophia Jbpooles1024 5 775 02-04-2024, 02:17 PM
  BABA MAT 140 Requirement and Learning Objective 3A, 3B - Covered by Sophia Calculus? FM1 13 1,065 12-14-2023, 04:56 PM
Last Post: ishady
  Microbiology from Sophia Broooke 4 444 11-12-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia UL Classes Accepted at UMPI mohelena02 4 959 11-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Last Post: mohelena02
  Business Ethics Sophia Transfer? CCCollege 7 743 09-19-2023, 02:23 AM