Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Courses
Are there any courses via Sophia.org as of July that are not transferable to TESU or any of the Big 3? I read a post that US History 1 and 2 through Sophia has expired as of June? When I look on the TESU site it states that Sophia is Provisionally Approved – Review Pending as educational providers by TESU. What does this mean. When I registered for courses on Sophia it ask the school you will be sending transcripts or something like that and for the courses I have take so far TESU is listed. What does all this mean? Are all the courses up to date to be acceptable to TESU or not? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Ahhh.... I checked with Sophia and they said since they are partners all the credits are acceptable to TESU however each school has the choice to decide if they will accept the credit or not. It made me nervous with the information I believe I read on here. It was contrary to what is normally written so I needed to double check.

Also I did read the Ethic course with The Institute has expired. I took it back in 2018 so I guess that means I will have to take it again. Errgg.... oh well.
Most Sophia courses will transfer, see https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List for what has transferred as what. Excelsior and COSC are likely inaccurate because fewer people have been reporting what transferred where. Principles of Finance and Business Law are new so we're still waiting to see what TESU takes them as. The Foundations Courses and College Readiness are the only ones that absolutely will not transfer to TESU but they may transfer to the other two.

All ACE courses are time-limited. They are only approved for (IIRC) 3 years at a time. One of the histories and Public Speaking were expiring and we weren't sure when they'd be officially re-approved because of the pandemic. Turned out that there was no issue with the renewal. Occassionally, some courses never get renewed for ACE credit. That wasn't the case here but it's always a concern when the renewal date is looming near that a given course might not get renewed.

You don't have to tell Sophia what college you're taking courses for; I think it's simply part of their internal survey system. I've been a Sophia member for years and they still don't know that I'm going to TESU. I have my credits added to my ACE transcript and ACE sends them on to TESU.

TESU will sometimes stop taking credits from a given ACE provider (Shmoop) but there is no reason, at this time, to think that this will happen regarding Sophia courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Risingstar
Sophia's ACE credit approvals for their US History and Public Speaking courses were set to expire earlier this year. However, everything got renewed and extended so there is no problem.

There is a community maintained Sophia-TESU equivalency table at https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
Everything except for college readiness and "foundations of ______" should transfer.

Edit: I see Rachel beat me to the punch here by a few seconds
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • rachel83az
(08-03-2020, 02:28 PM)Risingstar Wrote: Also I did read the Ethic course with The Institute has expired. I took it back in 2018 so I guess that means I will have to take it again. Errgg.... oh well.

If you took it in 2018, and it was valid then, it most likely can be applied at TESU for the credit it was evaluated by ACE that that time. I took it in Dec. 2019 when it was ACE evaluated as 3 Lower Level credits and it was accepted at TESU in April 2020 on my evaluation. Double check with tesu advisor and registrar to see how it would apply for you. It might still be "errrggg" but maybe not.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • Risingstar
If you took it in 2018 and it's on your ACE transcript, The Institutes ethics counts as 2 UL credits. That's what mine came in as.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Risingstar
(08-03-2020, 05:01 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you took it in 2018 and it's on your ACE transcript, The Institutes ethics counts as 2 UL credits. That's what mine came in as.

same
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cerich67's post:
  • Risingstar
(08-03-2020, 02:56 PM)rachel83az Thank you so much for your reply. The information and t hat link you provided is so helpful and it seems to have been updated as of June 2020. Your reply has put my mind at ease. Wrote: Most Sophia courses will transfer, see https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List for what has transferred as what. Excelsior and COSC are likely inaccurate because fewer people have been reporting what transferred where. Principles of Finance and Business Law are new so we're still waiting to see what TESU takes them as. The Foundations Courses and College Readiness are the only ones that absolutely will not transfer to TESU but they may transfer to the other two.

All ACE courses are time-limited. They are only approved for (IIRC) 3 years at a time. One of the histories and Public Speaking were expiring and we weren't sure when they'd be officially re-approved because of the pandemic. Turned out that there was no issue with the renewal. Occassionally, some courses never get renewed for ACE credit. That wasn't the case here but it's always a concern when the renewal date is looming near that a given course might not get renewed.

You don't have to tell Sophia what college you're taking courses for; I think it's simply part of their internal survey system. I've been a Sophia member for years and they still don't know that I'm going to TESU. I have my credits added to my ACE transcript and ACE sends them on to TESU.

TESU will sometimes stop taking credits from a given ACE provider (Shmoop) but there is no reason, at this time, to think that this will happen regarding Sophia courses.

(08-03-2020, 02:59 PM)jch Thank you for replying. You are right on target with Rachel aiding in eliminating my concerns. Wrote: Sophia's ACE credit approvals for their US History and Public Speaking courses were set to expire earlier this year. However, everything got renewed and extended so there is no problem.

There is a community maintained Sophia-TESU equivalency table at https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
Everything except for college readiness and "foundations of ______" should transfer.

Edit: I see Rachel beat me to the punch here by a few seconds

(08-03-2020, 04:58 PM)P226mem Thank you. Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 02:28 PM)Risingstar Wrote: Also I did read the Ethic course with The Institute has expired. I took it back in 2018 so I guess that means I will have to take it again. Errgg.... oh well.

If you took it in 2018, and it was valid then, it most likely can be applied at TESU for the credit it was evaluated by ACE that that time.  I took it in Dec. 2019 when it was ACE evaluated as 3 Lower Level credits and it was accepted at TESU in April 2020 on my evaluation.  Double check with tesu advisor and registrar to see how it would apply for you.  It might still be "errrggg" but maybe not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,367 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 381 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,688 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,798 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,870 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,397 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 604 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,962 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet