Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Encouragement
To anyone who needs a bit of encouragement...Sophia has been a God-send! This post wasn't intended to gloat, but to encourage everyone who's lurked this site for years (like me), who's become stagnant, who started and stopped, who's halfway there...you got this. Let this forum motivate you and kick it into high gear. 

If you haven't taken advantage of this...it's not too late. Sophia is free until 7/31/2020. I also did a few Straighterline courses in between and they even randomly threw in a free course (nice!). There's no time like the present!

I've done a total of 11 courses (within a timespan of 2 weeks) with 1 more class scheduled in a few days. If I can...you can too! Good luck to everyone. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer any to the best of my ability. See the attachment for the courses I've taken.

Attached Files
.png   ACE Transcript.PNG (Size: 78.04 KB / Downloads: 75)
"Step forward into your life as you did when you were a child, when you believed anything was possible." 
- Vince Gowmon

TESU BALS...in process...Dec 2020 graduation...woohoo!

Completed:
TEEX (3 credits): Death Investigation Online
Sophia (29 credits): Psych, Sociology, Ancient Greek, Visual Comm, Project Mgmt, Essentials of Conflict, Developing Effective Teams, Art History I, Art History II, Conflict Resolution, Approaches to Studying Religions
Straighterline (15 Credits): Cultural Anthropology, Intro to Criminal Justice, Business Stats, Western Civ I, American Gov't
SDC (6 credits): Oral Communication and Information Literacy
CLEP (15 credits): A&I Literature, College Composition, Principles of Marketing             
DSST (18 credits): Here's to Your Health, Substance Abuse, Intro to World Religions, Environment & Humanity, Business Ethics & Society, HR Management
WGU (36 credits)
FEMA (38 credits)
NA credits (140 qtr hrs)
[-] The following 9 users Like indivinefavor's post:
  • 4252049, cecilgambe7, gams007, Jobe112, LongRoad, monchevy, Muldoon, rachel83az, ss20ts
(06-27-2020, 05:22 PM)indivinefavor Wrote: To anyone who needs a bit of encouragement...Sophia has been a God-send! This post wasn't intended to gloat, but to encourage everyone who's lurked this site for years (like me), who's become stagnant, who started and stopped, who's halfway there...you got this. Let this forum motivate you and kick it into high gear. 

If you haven't taken advantage of this...it's not too late. Sophia is free until 7/31/2020. I also did a few Straighterline courses in between and they even randomly threw in a free course (nice!). There's no time like the present!

I've done a total of 11 courses (within a timespan of 2 weeks) with 1 more class scheduled in a few days. If I can...you can too! Good luck to everyone. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer any to the best of my ability. See the attachment for the courses I've taken.

"The smallest act of kindness can make the biggest impact." God-sent! I agree. Thank you Sophia Learning. Your act of kindness has altered my life, and made a positive change. I can see the way that wasn't afforded to me before. Though it is a sliver of light, I can see the way.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jobe112's post:
  • indivinefavor, monchevy, ss20ts
This is the first window of opportunity I have ever had in my adult life to actually make a start on a degree. I can't think Sophia and CSMLearn enough for giving me a second chance at the ripe old age of 56.
[-] The following 3 users Like monchevy's post:
  • indivinefavor, Jobe112, ss20ts
It's saved me $2100 and I got to take some free courses as a refresher from a degree I earned 20+ years ago.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • indivinefavor, Jobe112, monchevy
(07-01-2020, 09:10 PM)Jobe112 Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 05:22 PM)indivinefavor Wrote: To anyone who needs a bit of encouragement...Sophia has been a God-send! This post wasn't intended to gloat, but to encourage everyone who's lurked this site for years (like me), who's become stagnant, who started and stopped, who's halfway there...you got this. Let this forum motivate you and kick it into high gear. 

"The smallest act of kindness can make the biggest impact." God-sent! I agree. Thank you Sophia Learning. Your act of kindness has altered my life, and made a positive change. I can see the way that wasn't afforded to me before. Though it is a sliver of light, I can see the way.

That's awesome...glad to know, I'm not the only one.

(07-01-2020, 10:45 PM)monchevy Wrote: This is the first window of opportunity I have ever had in my adult life to actually make a start on a degree. I can't think Sophia and CSMLearn enough for giving me a second chance at the ripe old age of 56.

Wow...congrats! Glad you're encouraged...you're never too old to get a new start. And by the way...56 is not old lol!

(07-02-2020, 10:39 AM)ss20ts Wrote: It's saved me $2100 and I got to take some free courses as a refresher from a degree I earned 20+ years ago.

It's crazy because the amount of money we've saved is ridiculous. I really don't think Sophia understands what kind of impact they made. If I would've tested out of my courses, it would've cost roughly $500-600. If I would've taken these courses at TESU, it would've been over $6k. Just looking at all the money we saved...amazing!
"Step forward into your life as you did when you were a child, when you believed anything was possible." 
- Vince Gowmon

TESU BALS...in process...Dec 2020 graduation...woohoo!

Completed:
TEEX (3 credits): Death Investigation Online
Sophia (29 credits): Psych, Sociology, Ancient Greek, Visual Comm, Project Mgmt, Essentials of Conflict, Developing Effective Teams, Art History I, Art History II, Conflict Resolution, Approaches to Studying Religions
Straighterline (15 Credits): Cultural Anthropology, Intro to Criminal Justice, Business Stats, Western Civ I, American Gov't
SDC (6 credits): Oral Communication and Information Literacy
CLEP (15 credits): A&I Literature, College Composition, Principles of Marketing             
DSST (18 credits): Here's to Your Health, Substance Abuse, Intro to World Religions, Environment & Humanity, Business Ethics & Society, HR Management
WGU (36 credits)
FEMA (38 credits)
NA credits (140 qtr hrs)
[-] The following 3 users Like indivinefavor's post:
  • Jobe112, monchevy, ss20ts
I only transferred 2 courses to CSU Global and saved $2100 and 8 weeks per course. I spent about a week total taking each course, but I'm also a full-time student at CSU. If I was in between trimesters I could have done each course in just a few days. I'm also taking some courses I took 20+ years ago to get my associates degrees. I figure at leas this way I have a free update and know this stuff inside and out. I am going to grad school next summer so I need to have my act together. If it wasn't for Sophia, I would have to take the courses through StraighterLine and spent a few hundred bucks. Not a lot of money, but still more than free and the exams are more complicated there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • monchevy
(07-02-2020, 03:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I only transferred 2 courses to CSU Global and saved $2100 and 8 weeks per course. I spent about a week total taking each course, but I'm also a full-time student at CSU. If I was in between trimesters I could have done each course in just a few days. I'm also taking some courses I took 20+ years ago to get my associates degrees. I figure at leas this way I have a free update and know this stuff inside and out. I am going to grad school next summer so I need to have my act together. If it wasn't for Sophia, I would have to take the courses through StraighterLine and spent a few hundred bucks. Not a lot of money, but still more than free and the exams are more complicated there.

It really is unbelievable, and I'm so glad I found this board. I'm only going for an associate's as a "check the box" in case I end up on the job market again. I'll be 57 this year, and those stupid ATS black holes don't even allow you to submit an application unless you can check the degree box. But even that wouldn't be possible without Sophia and all the other things I found on this board, like The Institutes and CMSLearn. Now suddenly I have a chance I never would have had otherwise. Maybe I'll go for the bachelor's one day too, but baby steps.

Thanks to all of you, and I hope to learn enough that I can help others the way you've all helped me.  Heart
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-02-2020, 03:27 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 03:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I only transferred 2 courses to CSU Global and saved $2100 and 8 weeks per course. I spent about a week total taking each course, but I'm also a full-time student at CSU. If I was in between trimesters I could have done each course in just a few days. I'm also taking some courses I took 20+ years ago to get my associates degrees. I figure at leas this way I have a free update and know this stuff inside and out. I am going to grad school next summer so I need to have my act together. If it wasn't for Sophia, I would have to take the courses through StraighterLine and spent a few hundred bucks. Not a lot of money, but still more than free and the exams are more complicated there.

It really is unbelievable, and I'm so glad I found this board. I'm only going for an associate's as a "check the box" in case I end up on the job market again. I'll be 57 this year, and those stupid ATS black holes don't even allow you to submit an application unless you can check the degree box. But even that wouldn't be possible without Sophia and all the other things I found on this board, like The Institutes and CMSLearn. Now suddenly I have a chance I never would have had otherwise. Maybe I'll go for the bachelor's one day too, but baby steps.

Thanks to all of you, and I hope to learn enough that I can help others the way you've all helped me.  Heart

Heart Heart Heart  That's awesome monchevy! Baby steps. Get your associates degree so you have that piece of paper. You'll be half way to a bachelor's degree. You can earn most of that through alternative credit sources as well. This forum has so much info available on it and people have completed their bachelor's degree while taking very few courses at an actual college. They have saved tens of thousands!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • monchevy
(07-02-2020, 05:14 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 03:27 PM)monchevy Wrote:

Heart Heart Heart  That's awesome monchevy! Baby steps. Get your associates degree so you have that piece of paper. You'll be half way to a bachelor's degree. You can earn most of that through alternative credit sources as well. This forum has so much info available on it and people have completed their bachelor's degree while taking very few courses at an actual college. They have saved tens of thousands!

Thanks! I only found out a few weeks ago about all this, so I've been working hard at Sophia, did CSM and The Institutes, I have my first RA class starting Monday, and I think by the end of the year I'll have most of my Gen Ed and electives! I still can't believe it's even possible, and there's no way I am wasting this opportunity. I owe everyone here so much!!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,271 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 376 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 277 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,794 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,864 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 603 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 562 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,805 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares