Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Free Courses
Do both "Developing Effective Teams" and "The Essentials of Managing Conflict" both transfer to TESU without being duplicates? I ask because it seems many people only take 1 of the 2 free Sophia Courses and not both. Maybe there are other reasons? Maybe 1 of the 2 is not worth the time investment for 1 credit????

Just checking before I invest the time.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • SophiaLearning
They do not duplicate and can be done in less than an hour each. Definitely worth the time if you need a couple credits.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • AwardTour
(06-14-2018, 10:17 AM)jsd Wrote: They do not duplicate and can be done in less than an hour each. Definitely worth the time if you need a couple credits.

Thanks for letting me know, I will take both.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
I second jsd, they were the first two college courses I took and I highly recommend taking both. Neither of them are perfect courses and both could use some tweaking, but they're free and you will get some useful info out of them.
Those two and the Ancient Greek Philosophers course were the easiest ones for me. I was able to get through them fast and there was no proctored exam. I had a $50 coupon on the Greek one though so it was $99. It's also about double the size of the other two but still easy IMO.
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

[-] The following 1 user Likes BSLIONS's post:
  • AwardTour
(06-18-2018, 02:10 PM)BSLIONS Wrote: Those two and the Ancient Greek Philosophers course were the easiest ones for me. I was able to get through them fast and there was no proctored exam. I had a $50 coupon on the Greek one though so it was $99. It's also about double the size of the other two but still easy IMO.

UPDATE/EDIT: It looks like it is 3 credits and it transfers in as PHI-226?

Thanks for sharing that BSLIONS. Do you happen to know what the transfer code is for TESU? I know it probably came in as elective but what did it show up as when you transferred Ancient Greek Philosophers? How many credits was it?

(06-18-2018, 02:10 PM)BSLIONS Wrote: Those two and the Ancient Greek Philosophers course were the easiest ones for me. I was able to get through them fast and there was no proctored exam. I had a $50 coupon on the Greek one though so it was $99. It's also about double the size of the other two but still easy IMO.

Would this course that you are talking about "Ancient Greek Philosophers" count towards the "Knowledge of Human Cultures" general education requirement at TESU? If it does then I will take this Sophia course instead of "Introduction to Psychology" at Straighterline.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
(06-18-2018, 02:37 PM)AwardTour Wrote:

UPDATE/EDIT: It looks like it is 3 credits and it transfers in as PHI-226?

Thanks for sharing that BSLIONS. Do you happen to know what the transfer code is for TESU? I know it probably came in as elective but what did it show up as when you transferred Ancient Greek Philosophers? How many credits was it?

Would this course that you are talking about "Ancient Greek Philosophers" count towards the "Knowledge of Human Cultures" general education requirement at TESU? If it does then I will take this Sophia course instead of "Introduction to Psychology" at Straighterline.

From what the Sophia site says it transfers as PHI-226 for 3 credits. I actually sent them a list of my Sophia courses this weekend so I'm currently waiting for them to add them to my evaluation. I'll update you when they add it on, they should have it done by tomorrow. However, my "Knowledge of Human Cultures" is full so they won't put it there. Looking at their list though, they list quite a few PHI tagged courses as being eligible. I'd think it would be but if you're working with an adviser it'd be best to ask.
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

Is there a proctored exam for Ancient Greek Philosophers?
(06-19-2018, 09:03 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Is there a proctored exam for Ancient Greek Philosophers?

Nope, no proctored exam. BSLIONS said there was no proctored exam in Post #5 of this thread. That is one of the reasons I am interested in taking it. It would be nice if it counts towards "Knowledge of Human Cultures" Credit at TESU. Even if it does not I will still take it as an elective.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
(06-19-2018, 12:19 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 09:03 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Is there a proctored exam for Ancient Greek Philosophers?

Nope, no proctored exam. BSLIONS said there was no proctored exam in Post #5 of this thread. That is one of the reasons I am interested in taking it. It would be nice if it counts towards "Knowledge of Human Cultures" Credit at TESU. Even if it does not I will still take it as an elective.

You may wish to verify that with Sophia before depending on it. If you look at the details on their site, it looks like all of the paid (3-credit) courses require proctoring. So it seems odd that they'd have one non-proctored paid course when all the rest require proctoring.

When the course was first introduced several people confirmed that it didn't have a proctor requirement at the time, but it has been a while now, so I'd check to be sure. If it is, and Sophia intends for it to remain unproctored, that would be great to know.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,292 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 377 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,657 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 277 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,794 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,864 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,394 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 402 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 604 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM