Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Fun is almost over
God bless Sophia. I killed about 50 credits and knocked out enough Gen Eds for a BOG AAS. I will definitely recommend them going forward. 

The fun is never over....PM me if you want to add a class or two before 7/31/2020.
[-] The following 1 user Likes staroceanex's post:
  • ss20ts
I haven't completed a ton, but I already have 2 associates degrees and am enrolled at CSU Global full-time. I have completed some for fun. A few I took specifically to transfer so I didn't pay $1,050 to take them and take even longer to graduate. I think I will have completed 6 when it's all over.

My husband started about 2 weeks ago and has already completed 4 classes while working full time. He's on his 5th class right now. There are 6 more he plans to complete or enroll in by the 31st. Then he's off to Study.com for some additional math and IT courses. He also has 2 associates degrees. He is looking to attend WGU or Purdue Global in the next few months to complete his bachelor's degree in data analytics which is the field he works in.
(07-19-2020, 03:30 PM)dbinghamjr Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 03:09 PM)Muldoon Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 10:33 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 12:49 AM)Muldoon Wrote: I only took one, Microeconomics. I had registered for the Microecon TECEP but figured I'd take the Sophia course since it was free and just use it as a refresher to study with. But I ended up completing it so quickly that I never took the TECEP. I would have taken more, but I was enrolled in the capstone and that took up all my time, and I'm down to the last few classes I need anyway. I really enjoyed the format though. Right now I'm trying to finish College Algebra and Stats, but not sure I'll be able to finish them.

You don't have to complete the courses by the 31st. There's a countdown on each course telling you how many more days you have for each course. You can request a 30 day extension if you run out of time also.

I know, I meant that I have already run out of time and used all the extensions. Unfortunately I jumped the gun and signed up during my capstone when I had zero time to work on them, not realizing it would start the clock right away. I don't know if you can get more time after the extensions have run out.

I had a live chat agent reset a few courses for me, they didn't even ask why or anything, just asked which ones & it was done and I could register for them again. I hadn't actually completed any of the material - I guess it could be a little different if you're half way+ through one.

That's interesting. For the first class, I signed up for it in April or May (whenever it was they made them free), did zero work on it due to my capstone, then requested the 30 day extension when it was offered. I then started on the class, but didn't get a lot done. They offered me a 15 day extension, which I took. I continued to plug away very slowly at it. I emailed them asking about it and they gave me a one week extension, it still wasn't enough time. I really needed the full ~130 days of constant work to make progress. The course is in my weakest subject, I'm not at all familiar with the concepts so I can't just test out, and I really need the time to try to absorb the material. At this point, I checked today and it now tells me time is up and it's greyed out so I can't work on it at all. I probably could ask them again for more time, but I had already went ahead and started the other course I needed, so I'm going to just focus on finishing that one in the allowed time before I try asking for more extensions or resets.

In hindsight, I really wish I had waited to sign up at all until I was actually ready to work on the courses. I thought there would be an option to choose a course state date, and there wasn't one. Oh well. Worst case, I'll pay for other providers. I don't really care as long as I can find something I can pass.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
(07-20-2020, 12:24 AM)Muldoon Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 10:33 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 12:49 AM)Muldoon Wrote: I only took one, Microeconomics. I had registered for the Microecon TECEP but figured I'd take the Sophia course since it was free and just use it as a refresher to study with. But I ended up completing it so quickly that I never took the TECEP. I would have taken more, but I was enrolled in the capstone and that took up all my time, and I'm down to the last few classes I need anyway. I really enjoyed the format though. Right now I'm trying to finish College Algebra and Stats, but not sure I'll be able to finish them.

You don't have to complete the courses by the 31st. There's a countdown on each course telling you how many more days you have for each course. You can request a 30 day extension if you run out of time also.

I know, I meant that I have already run out of time and used all the extensions. Unfortunately I jumped the gun and signed up during my capstone when I had zero time to work on them, not realizing it would start the clock right away. I don't know if you can get more time after the extensions have run out.

I had a live chat agent reset a few courses for me, they didn't even ask why or anything, just asked which ones & it was done and I could register for them again. I hadn't actually completed any of the material - I guess it could be a little different if you're half way+ through one.

That's interesting. For the first class, I signed up for it in April or May (whenever it was they made them free), did zero work on it due to my capstone, then requested the 30 day extension when it was offered. I then started on the class, but didn't get a lot done. They offered me a 15 day extension, which I took. I continued to plug away very slowly at it. I emailed them asking about it and they gave me a one week extension, it still wasn't enough time. I really needed the full ~130 days of constant work to make progress. The course is in my weakest subject, I'm not at all familiar with the concepts so I can't just test out, and I really need the time to try to absorb the material. At this point, I checked today and it now tells me time is up and it's greyed out so I can't work on it at all. I probably could ask them again for more time, but I had already went ahead and started the other course I needed, so I'm going to just focus on finishing that one in the allowed time before I try asking for more extensions or resets.

In hindsight, I really wish I had waited to sign up at all until I was actually ready to work on the courses. I thought there would be an option to choose a course state date, and there wasn't one. Oh well. Worst case, I'll pay for other providers. I don't really care as long as I can find something I can pass.

What course were you taking that needed so much time to complete? 130 days is more than a full semester. Sophia isn't a semester based approach.
(07-20-2020, 01:05 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 10:33 AM)ss20ts Wrote: You don't have to complete the courses by the 31st. There's a countdown on each course telling you how many more days you have for each course. You can request a 30 day extension if you run out of time also.

What course were you taking that needed so much time to complete? 130 days is more than a full semester. Sophia isn't a semester based approach.

College Algebra. Math is easily my worst subject, I hate it with a passion, and I haven't used any of the concepts for years so couldn't remember how to do things. But also I didn't actually start work on it until I had 15 days left, which wasn't enough time for me.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
(07-20-2020, 01:13 AM)Muldoon Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 01:05 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 03:09 PM)Muldoon Wrote: I know, I meant that I have already run out of time and used all the extensions. Unfortunately I jumped the gun and signed up during my capstone when I had zero time to work on them, not realizing it would start the clock right away. I don't know if you can get more time after the extensions have run out.

College Algebra. Math is easily my worst subject, I hate it with a passion, and I haven't used any of the concepts for years so couldn't remember how to do things. But also I didn't actually start work on it until I had 15 days left, which wasn't enough time for me.

I'm on Unit 5 of College Algebra and I feel like it's taken me 40 years to get here. Finally the last unit! I plan on finishing on Tuesday. I also struggle with math and found this course to include far more than a college algebra course on campus does. I took it years ago at college, but it was too old to transfer in so I had to retake it. There's material I covered in Precalc and my husband says some of the challenges are Calc I. Yay....so exciting....not. Math is not my friend. The graphs make me nuts. I struggle with them something fierce. If it needs shading, there's a 95% chance I will have it shaded incorrectly. At least I'm consistent!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Muldoon
(07-20-2020, 01:27 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I'm on Unit 5 of College Algebra and I feel like it's taken me 40 years to get here. Finally the last unit! I plan on finishing on Tuesday. I also struggle with math and found this course to include far more than a college algebra course on campus does. I took it years ago at college, but it was too old to transfer in so I had to retake it. There's material I covered in Precalc and my husband says some of the challenges are Calc I. Yay....so exciting....not. Math is not my friend. The graphs make me nuts. I struggle with them something fierce. If it needs shading, there's a 95% chance I will have it shaded incorrectly. At least I'm consistent!

It's a bit late, but I suggest you install the Desmos graphing calculator app. It lets you enter formulas and then you can see which shading/graphs are correct. I also had issues with choosing the correct shading but the Desmos app made things better. I think they also have a website if you don't want to install an app but entering formulas on a computer keyboard might be more challenging.
This is why I'm thanking CSMLearn too. Not being able to pass College Algebra is a main reason I never finished my degree. The CSM Course was rigorous, and I cried more than once, but it satisfied the gen ed math requirement.
(07-20-2020, 03:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 01:27 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I'm on Unit 5 of College Algebra and I feel like it's taken me 40 years to get here. Finally the last unit! I plan on finishing on Tuesday. I also struggle with math and found this course to include far more than a college algebra course on campus does. I took it years ago at college, but it was too old to transfer in so I had to retake it. There's material I covered in Precalc and my husband says some of the challenges are Calc I. Yay....so exciting....not. Math is not my friend. The graphs make me nuts. I struggle with them something fierce. If it needs shading, there's a 95% chance I will have it shaded incorrectly. At least I'm consistent!

It's a bit late, but I suggest you install the Desmos graphing calculator app. It lets you enter formulas and then you can see which shading/graphs are correct. I also had issues with choosing the correct shading but the Desmos app made things better. I think they also have a website if you don't want to install an app but entering formulas on a computer keyboard might be more challenging.

Thank you! I will check this out today. I know there will be graphs with shading on the final milestone. They've been on every milestone thus far so I can't imagine them being left off at the end.

(07-20-2020, 09:09 AM)monchevy Wrote: This is why I'm thanking CSMLearn too. Not being able to pass College Algebra is a main reason I never finished my degree. The CSM Course was rigorous, and I cried more than once, but it satisfied the gen ed math requirement.

I'm sorry you've struggled with the math so much. I feel your pain about crying over math. Years ago I took a spreadsheet course on Lotus 1-2-3. Yup this was about 450 million years ago. LOL I was soooo frustrated that I ripped my textbook in half one night. It was a paperback book, but still I tore it in half. I had no idea I had that kind of strength. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • monchevy
For those that are math and stats uncomfortable. My advice is start with getting a good scientific graphing calculator, and read the manual! Lots of the manual will not make a bunch of sense because you don't know the concepts yet but will happen is by reading the manual before starting the course, you will be able to recall at the worst where you can go to find out how to do something. That and YouTube are great.

I also recommend you do algebra first, then stats.

I'm pretty good with math in life and business, but it's been 34 years since my last math class in high school that I failed ? (had other stuff I cared about more) and literally wanted to give up when I started stats first(mistake). I stopped after about 10hrs of pain and grabbed my teens calculator and manual and learned it for another 10 hrs and went back at stats and managed to do a 88 on Sophia in about 30 more hours of moderate level pain. Took a couple days to chill and started algebra with Sophia and knowing the calculator managed a 92 in about 17 hrs on the course. If anything it was more data entry and the quizzes and questions I got wrong were mostly user error on the data entry..

That is my advice, and I am very glad to have those two behind me, as you will be as well. It's also proven helpful in some of my business courses to do stuff more efficiently than the normal much longer way I have been doing stuff in many cases. I have already ordered my own scientific calculator to have on my desk at work as well.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 311 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 762 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,224 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,291 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 304 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 640 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 896 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 877 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 344 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle