Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Human Biology Lab & Spanish I
Are they critical when grading touchstones? My oral speaking videos are horrible. I used the written assignments and repeated them verbatim on camera while maintaining eye contact with the camera, my pronunciation was trash and I have a hard time replicating a "Spanish" accent. My written touchstones were written decently. I have a 96% overall grade right now having taken every quiz and milestone test, except the final exam. I am worried I am going to fail this course.
University of Maine at Presque Isle
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
magna cum laude

Eastern University
Master of Business Administration
7/10 courses completed
Some people have used Google Translate to practice their pronunciation.

If you want to spend a little money, you could try to hire a tutor for the specific purpose of helping you to read your script.

"Complete each Touchstone with a score of at least 50%"
"If you do not pass a Touchstone, you will be given one opportunity to resubmit it."
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • clj626, origamishuttle
Does anyone have any guidance on how to format the touchstones for this lab? The instructions are very vague, I have 100% in the class; however, I do not even know where to begin with these touchstones.
magna cum laude

Eastern University
7/10 courses completed
(05-23-2023, 06:54 PM)klone Wrote: Does anyone have any guidance on how to format the touchstones for this lab? The instructions are very vague, I have 100% in the class; however, I do not even know where to begin with these touchstones.

I just used the lab report document provided on Sophia and typed my answers in the boxes right below the questions and received full points. Don't overthink it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Darkstar's post:
  • sandraschuld
In addition to using other tools such as Google Translate, you should create practice runs when completing the speech component. Don't rush yourself, you may want to immerse a little bit more time to pronounce what you're having difficulties with a few more times. You don't have to be perfect either as your scores will accumulate and give you the final grade. A pass is a pass, we're not looking for absolute fluency in the language (at least I don't think Sophia is since it's an introductory course...) Relax and let it naturally flow out, pretend you're speaking with a friend and say those words...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-24-2023, 12:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: In addition to using other tools such as Google Translate, you should create practice runs when completing the speech component.  Don't rush yourself, you may want to immerse a little bit more time to pronounce what you're having difficulties with a few more times.  You don't have to be perfect either as your scores will accumulate and give you the final grade.  A pass is a pass, we're not looking for absolute fluency in the language (at least I don't think Sophia is since it's an introductory course...)  Relax and let it naturally flow out, pretend you're speaking with a friend and say those words...

All of my touchstones were graded and I finished with a 95% overall grade. Thank you for the encouraging words.
magna cum laude

Eastern University
7/10 courses completed
(05-24-2023, 10:00 PM)klone Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 12:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: In addition to using other tools such as Google Translate, you should create practice runs when completing the speech component.  Don't rush yourself, you may want to immerse a little bit more time to pronounce what you're having difficulties with a few more times.  You don't have to be perfect either as your scores will accumulate and give you the final grade.  A pass is a pass, we're not looking for absolute fluency in the language (at least I don't think Sophia is since it's an introductory course...)  Relax and let it naturally flow out, pretend you're speaking with a friend and say those words...

All of my touchstones were graded and I finished with a 95% overall grade. Thank you for the encouraging words.

You are doing mucho better than mi am. LOL. I am awaiting the final composition to be graded and I currently have an 84 in the class. I have never studied Spanish in my life, but I felt pretty good before beginning the course with simple words and ordering a restaurant. I just need the passing grade for UMPI. I have no worries about the final.
I breezed through both courses in less than 10 days because I am already fluent in the language. The first course isn't too hard. Touchstones are mostly written with an additional video one where you say your name, age, physical description of your body, the house or city where you live. I think they also ask you to mention if you have a job or not. Video only needs to run for 2 minutes and they don't expect perfect pronounciation.

The II course took me a while longer but it was because of the video culture touchstone that took me a few hours to prepare. They want the video to last around 5 minutes. You can talk about any cultural topic in Spanish like cinema or a tv show as long as it is suitable for an academic setting. Everything gets graded insanely fast. I had some touchstones graded in just 3 hours.

I loved the Latin America culture segments a lot and learned new dishes I have never seen before. If a person enters the course with zero knowledge of the language, the second course could take a few weeks to complete while the student learns all of the grammatical rules.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,465 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,874 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,402 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,974 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,812 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares