Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Intro to Chemistry Lab course difficulty level
I am wondering if anyone has taken the Introduction to Chemistry Lab course on Sophia and what is the difficulty level of it? I realize this can vary based on the knowledge and background of the individual course. My son was not as strong at Math and Science as the Humanities in High School so I am wondering if he should take the Biology 101L lab course at SDC instead of the Intro to Chem lab course on Sophia if it is easier? I have heard that Biology is often easier than Chemistry. He has about 1.5 years of traditional university credit (28 credit hours) and is looking to go back to finish the BABA Mgmt in Leadership degree at UMPI. He got the year membership at Sophia and would prefer not to have to pay the extra $140 for a 1 month SDC membership if possible. However, if BIO101L is a good deal easier to complete, I think the SDC membership fee for 1 month is worth it especially if he completes one other UL Business course there.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker
[-] The following 1 user Likes EducationSeeker's post:
  • nyjosh
I haven't taken the course from either provider, but why not try it out at Sophia since you've already paid for an annual membership? If it's too much of a pain, you can always drop it at Sophia & do it elsewhere.
[-] The following 2 users Like BitWiseGuy's post:
  • allvia, KSoul
(01-06-2023, 06:56 PM)BitWiseGuy Wrote: I haven't taken the course from either provider, but why not try it out at Sophia since you've already paid for an annual membership? If it's too much of a pain, you can always drop it at Sophia & do it elsewhere.

Agreed - there's no sense not giving it a shot first.

Also, OP - 28cr is just under 1 year of credits (for most schools, 120cr is required, so if you divide that by 4 years, 30cr per year is the normal amount of credits most people complete.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-06-2023, 09:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 06:56 PM)BitWiseGuy Wrote: I haven't taken the course from either provider, but why not try it out at Sophia since you've already paid for an annual membership? If it's too much of a pain, you can always drop it at Sophia & do it elsewhere.

Agreed - there's no sense not giving it a shot first.

Also, OP - 28cr is just under 1 year of credits (for most schools, 120cr is required, so if you divide that by 4 years, 30cr per year is the normal amount of credits most people complete.
Bitwiseguy-

That's right. He attended 1.5 years but dropped some classes so he only has about 28-30 credits from YSU. He decided the traditional college experience is not for him so he would like to look at completing his Bachelor's degree in Business as quickly and cheaply as possible while he is working full time. 

I will recommend to try the Intro to Chem class and see how it goes. He can always drop it and then do the BIO101L SDC class if need be.

EducationSeeker
My son decided to take the Sophia Intro to Chemistry with Lab class since we already have a membership. It looks like Sophia only allows you to take 2 classes at 1 time? My question: does the Intro to Chemistry and Chemistry Lab class count as 2 classes or just 1 class?

Thanks,

EducationSeeker
They each count as a separate class, so taking both simultaneously would prevent you from taking any other classes until you dropped or completed at least one of them.
(01-09-2023, 10:50 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: My son decided to take the Sophia Intro to Chemistry with Lab class since we already have a membership. It looks like Sophia only allows you to take 2 classes at 1 time? My question: does the Intro to Chemistry and Chemistry Lab class count as 2 classes or just 1 class?

Thanks,

EducationSeeker

Note: As an observation, I did note that the Chemistry Lab and lecture count as 2 courses. The Lab requires the student to write a lab report? Conversely, it does not look like that the SDC BIO101L class requires lab reports? Are each of the SDC BIO101L quizzes proctored or is there a final proctored exam?

Thanks,

EducaationSeeker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,365 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 381 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,797 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,868 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,397 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 604 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,962 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,810 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares