Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia - Intro to Ethics
Oh my word! This is by far the most difficult course I've taken on Sophia. Years ago I took and intro to ethics course and it was much easier than this. I'm taking this course because it's 3 credits and the one I took was only 1 credit. This philosophy approach is hurting my brain. I lasted a week when I tried taking intro to philosophy in college years ago. Apparently, my brain hasn't changed in 20+ years.
Yeah, if I hadn't taken Greek Philosophers first, I'm not sure I'd have made it through Intro to Ethics. It doesn't really feel like an ethics course. It feels like a philosophy course with some talk of ethics thrown in.
(07-29-2020, 03:31 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Yeah, if I hadn't taken Greek Philosophers first, I'm not sure I'd have made it through Intro to Ethics. It doesn't really feel like an ethics course. It feels like a philosophy course with some talk of ethics thrown in.

That is a perfect description of it!
If you haven't already done Greek Philosophers (which I assume you haven't), I'd suggest going and downloading that course's PDF. It's not easier to get through, per se, but it does have some information that might help you to pass ethics.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
I like the sophia courses in general but this was the worst course I've ever taken in my life. I passed it, but barely. They took an easy to understand concept like ethics and made a twisted mess of philisophical nonsense out of it. Then they gave the most vague, and subjective questions possible which was the real problem with this course. The text frequently did not match up to the questions and the questions had more than one possible correct answer MANY times according to the text/information given. When you have the lesson text right in front of you and you still have to guess on which answer they want of more than one correct answer possibility, it's incredibly frustrating.  

If their goal was to make me despise philosopy and never want anything to do with it for the rest of my life, they succeded.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rpmranger's post:
  • GizmoJack
(07-29-2020, 03:53 PM)rpmranger Wrote: I like the sophia courses in general but this was the worst course I've ever taken in my life. I passed it, but barely. They took an easy to understand concept like ethics and made a twisted mess of philisophical nonsense out of it. Then they gave the most vague, unclear, and subjective questions possible which was the real problem with this course. The text frequently did not match up to the questions and the questions had more than one possible correct answer MANY times according to the text/information given. When you have the lesson text right in front of you and you still have to guess on which answer they want of more than one correct answer possibility, it's incredibly frustrating.

If their goal was to make me despise philosopy and never want anything to do with it for the rest of my life, they succeded.

We must be sharing a brain. I still don't know why most of my answers were wrong because I had the tutorial open and read it again while doing the Milestone. They don't tell you anything when you get a question wrong which isn't helpful at all. The tutorial really doesn't have anything to do with the questions at all. It's like throwing darts at my screen. This thing is a hot mess. If this was my first Sophia course, I would have ditched this place.
(07-29-2020, 04:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote: rpmranger

We must be sharing a brain. I still don't know why most of my answers were wrong because I had the tutorial open and read it again while doing the Milestone. They don't tell you anything when you get a question wrong which isn't helpful at all. The tutorial really doesn't have anything to do with the questions at all. It's like throwing darts at my screen. This thing is a hot mess. If this was my first Sophia course, I would have ditched this place.

Same. I've taken 8 of their courses which I liked, for the most part. This course was just poorly done.

If it wasn't for the really high prices outside of the free promotion, I would highly recommend Sophia for as many courses as possible. Except that one. I Love the layout, simplicity, instant scoring without special proctoring, and how they don't have a hundred quizzes to get through like study.com.
Couldn't agree more. It was so frustrating. And it really wasn't Ethics at all, it was Philosophy 101.
[-] The following 2 users Like monchevy's post:
  • GizmoJack, rachel83az
A philosophical approach to ethics appears to be the standard at universities. I would only expect something different in the case of a professional or business ethics course. I've enjoyed the Sophia course. I guess that I am the only person who likes the philosophical stuff. :-)
(07-29-2020, 04:13 PM)rpmranger Wrote: Same. I've taken 8 of their courses which I liked, for the most part. This course was just poorly done.

If it wasn't for the really high prices outside of the free promotion, I would highly recommend Sophia for as many courses as possible. Except that one. I Love the layout, simplicity, instant scoring without special proctoring, and how they don't have a hundred quizzes to get through like study.com.

According to a post elsewhere on this forum, they're going to have some sort of pricing promo/change once the freebies are over. We'll have to see what they actually do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,230 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 373 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,790 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,863 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 603 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,805 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares