Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Intro to Statistics
(10-04-2020, 01:40 PM)dodek101 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 12:22 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:35 AM)dodek101 Wrote: I am taking now Shopia's Intro to Statistics and it is rough going.

Could anybody recommend a book or online resource for Intro to Statistics?

Another thing, if you drop the course and after a month retake it.  Are the challenges and milestones the same as the first time around?

my 15 yr old got through this class by taking notes and reviewing the notes frequently. what exactly u having trouble with? its one of the more straight forward stats class out there and the lectures are great. how fast are u going? try slowing down and really studying it.

study dot coms material is good.  
youtube is a great resource.
khan academy is ok

but that course should have everything you need. slow down and take your time.

Probability and Correlation I have trouble with.  Also, I am new to Sophia format.  I should take notes and review them as opposed to just watching the videos and trying to answered the challenges.  Thanks.

Its open book...
Also, as others have said, try the foundations class first.
You only have to do one of the challenges per section to pass the course, not all three.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • dodek101
I recommend making a spreadsheet for each of the more complex things. I’m linking mine below. Also take good notes, work every problem and work the problems with the videos and save all of it. I take notes in GoodNotes on my iPad and they’re searchable, so I have notes plus all practice problems together. Sometimes I had to watch all the videos from different teachers to “get it”.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...aVbDs/edit

I wish I had started doing the spreadsheet from the beginning. This only has certain units.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • dodek101
(10-04-2020, 07:01 PM)ayman003 Wrote: I had the same issue and I dropped the course after taking half of the first unit. But after studying "Foundations of Statistics", it helped me to understand "Introduction to Statistics" really quick and built a great foundation but the only issue that it's only reading.
you can find it also on Sophia. Good luck Wink

I actually found Foundations to be much more confusing than Intro. There was even more, IMO, that just wasn't explained or wasn't explained well in Foundations. Plus, Foundations is more or less the same as Intro but with important sections removed.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • dodek101
I concur with rachel82az. I ended up dropping Foundations, but passing Intro. And I agree with her about Jonathan Oster. I think he actually wrote the PDFs and the quizzes were taken from that.

One thing I did was Snippd (cut and pasted) all of the explanations for the answers I got wrong AND the ones I got right. While you won't see the exact questions in the finals, you will see VERY similar ones. That's how I studied.
[-] The following 3 users Like LongRoad's post:
  • dodek101, rachel83az, RachelB
Neither foundations or intro were easy courses.

Intro was very lengthy with lots of redundant information.

It was hard because it was hard to care for the course itself. Tedious and wordy.

I didn't choose particular instructors because I prefer reading to videos.

Really pointing out something is "easy" doesn't help.

Don't need stats for my degree as I already completed algebra.

But really it is hard to care for that material, the first two challenges are fun but then it becomes boring, with too much useless information, they should just synthesize the content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lacedonia4's post:
  • dodek101
I took College Algebra just before taking Stats at Sophia. I'm very glad I did because it has helped with some of the math problems. Definitely use Excel for the formulas. Everything you need for the course is contained in the course. Finding outside material isn't necessarily going to help you with the Sophia course. There are different videos from different instructors in addition to reading the concepts on your own.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • dodek101
For all those who have taken Sophia's intro to statistics course ... could you please give an idea of how many hours it took you to complete the course? Im juggling many deadlines and wondering if I could do it in around 50 hours. Is that doable?? I keep hearing it's a tough course! Your input would be greatly appreciated!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ann7's post:
  • dodek101
(10-05-2020, 03:52 PM)Pathfinder Wrote: For all those who have taken Sophia's intro to statistics course ... could you please give an idea of how many hours it took you to complete the course?   Im juggling many deadlines and wondering if I could  do it in around 50 hours.   Is that doable?? I keep hearing it's a tough course!  Your input would be greatly appreciated!

I have no idea how many hours I'm into it. I am on the 5th Unit. To me, the math and English courses are quite long. Part of that is because there's more to do than just read and answer a question. You have to do math or write an essay. I'm sure I have spent well over 50 hours on it and have completed 4 of the 5 units. I also did every practice Milestone before taking the Unit Milestones. Each one has taken me well over an hour. Your mileage may vary. Math is not my strong suit at all. I am also attending UMPI full time and completing courses on Sophia at the same time. Life has been a bit crazy!
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • dodek101, Muldoon
I finished it in just a couple of days or somewhere around 8-16 hours. I do not recommend doing this but, if you are really good at math, you could make it work. 50 hours could be doable. But if you're already juggling a bunch of other deadlines, this might not be a good idea. Come back to it later when you have a bit more time available.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • dodek101
https://www.amazon.com/Casio-FX-991EX-En...uage=en_US

get one, learn it and stats suddenly is not so bad
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cerich67's post:
  • dodek101

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,292 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 377 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,794 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,864 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,394 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 604 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,959 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 562 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,806 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares