Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Intro to Statistics
(10-05-2020, 05:16 PM)cerich67 Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Casio-FX-991EX-En...uage=en_US

get one, learn it and stats suddenly is not so bad

I have one close to identical to that. But for Sophia stats, I used Excel more. It was much easier that way.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • crotique, dodek101, LongRoad
(10-05-2020, 05:16 PM)cerich67 Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Casio-FX-991EX-En...uage=en_US

get one, learn it and stats suddenly is not so bad

Totally not necessary Sophia stats. Excel makes your life easier. This is not a math heavy course. It's heavy in concepts and theories. For most of the math I have used my iPhone calculator. There's some that I used Excel for - the formulas. The course tells you how to do the formulas in Excel and the long way by hand.
[-] The following 4 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • dodek101, LongRoad, Muldoon, rachel83az
Thanks for your advice on time frames! Very helpful!
I took Foundations of Stats first, and finished that one in 5 days (working on it a few hours per day), and I think it really helped me. Even though the course is short and not too detailed, I had no familiarity whatsoever with any of the concepts, and taking the Foundations class helped me feel confident that I'd have a chance at passing Statistics. I am very math-phobic since it's my worst subject.

The actual Intro to Statistics course was much more tolerable once I started it, because so many concepts were not completely new anymore. I just took my time working through the material. I spent about 1-2 hours per day on it during the week, and maybe 2-3 hours per day on weekends, and at that pace it took me 24 nonconsecutive days to finish (I did take breaks as I went). It took me about ~30 hours, at least that's my best guess. Some lessons were quick but some took longer than others.

The most helpful thing was to take every practice exam. Being able to see the correct answer plus the explanations and calculations really made a difference. I would leave the practice milestone open, then open a new tab for the milestone, then when I got stuck I would tab over and review the formulas to figure it out. For some reason the explanations there made more sense than the lessons. There were a couple times I bombed the practice test but did fine on the final from using the other tab.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
[-] The following 3 users Like Muldoon's post:
  • dodek101, LongRoad, rachel83az
The importance of the practice exams cannot be understated. I feel like not enough people take advantage of this resource, rushing through Sophia courses to get to the end. Yes, the practice exams make the courses take a bit longer. But you're much more likely to pass.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 5 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • BrianFallon, dodek101, GizmoJack, Muldoon, ss20ts
(10-10-2020, 03:26 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The importance of the practice exams cannot be understated. I feel like not enough people take advantage of this resource, rushing through Sophia courses to get to the end. Yes, the practice exams make the courses take a bit longer. But you're much more likely to pass.

I agree! The practice exams especially in the math courses have been very helpful. Quite often there is a very similar question or identical question on the milestone. Better to get it wrong on the practice and see why it's wrong than on the actual milestone.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • dodek101, LongRoad
I actually took Foundations of Stats in error thinking it was the right class for TESU. I was at first mad at myself but it appears it may have been, accidentally the right way to go.
I'll be taking the Intro to Stats course as soon as I complete the Approaches to Studying Religions...a very dry course.
(10-04-2020, 11:35 AM)dodek101 Wrote: I am taking now Shopia's Intro to Statistics and it is rough going.

Could anybody recommend a book or online resource for Intro to Statistics?

Another thing, if you drop the course and after a month retake it.  Are the challenges and milestones the same as the first time around?

Trust me, any external source will be more complicated for you... Statistics is pretty difficult subject for most of people, Sophia course is the easier and friendly course/content you will find about statistics.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
[-] The following 1 user Likes cecilgambe7's post:
  • ss20ts
Can anyone validate that the sophia intro to stats course transfers to TESU STA-201 Principles of Statistics?
(10-22-2020, 02:59 PM)saltyseabastard Wrote: Can anyone validate that the sophia intro to stats course transfers to TESU STA-201 Principles of Statistics?

It does. See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List for recent transfer equivalencies.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,192 11 hours ago
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,861 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 602 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares