Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum age for alt-credit attainment?
(04-21-2022, 04:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 03:54 PM)bellbaby Wrote: I will probably supply too much info and not exactly helpful to every scenario. My kids are enrolled at a private high school allowing us to take coursework at home. During covid they attended synchronously and did the coursework the school was providing. Because it is a school for "alternative learners," not every subject was meeting my kids' needs. For instance, my kids read and understand info on a higher level, but they are slow at progressing through subjects. To use Sophia as an example, an easy Sophia course that people here can get through in a day might take them a few weeks, and a course like US History that maybe some here have done in a week or two, might take them a month.

My daughter is 17, and she is motivated and works independently. For Sophia, I've found if I don't write her out a "pace chart," she doesn't work through the material as well. But with the chart, she is doing a challenge a day (or milestone if at that point.) I'm a stay-at-home mom so what I do for her is wake her up and pop in on her routinely to drop off a meal or retrieve a plate. She takes care of the family dog during the day. Her day is comprised of working through those two at-a-time sophia classes and taking care of him... she has high functioning autism so part of her day is also pacing back and forth and obsessing over her artwork (she wants to work in Character / Game Design.)

I submit the course badges to her Principal at the private school and they are used for Dual Enrollment.

My son is 15. He is miles behind her in maturity. He's always been into gaming and being online but covid has wrecked him. Dodgy  He is motivated but not disciplined at all. I have to shadow him all day, (many days are endless "close discord, we are not done") and pull info from outside sources to enrich coursework for him. He zoomed through the Sophia IT course but is on month two of US History. The Sophia US History questions are tricky so while some multiple-choice exams are a piece of cake for him, the trickier questions that "open-book" tests use have tripped him up. He is finally to the final milestone today and has a 78 because of those tricky ones.

I think by the end of May, both of them will have 30 credits or close to it. 7 of those were taken directly from an online dual enrollment program (SEU.edu) in the Fall and the rest with Sophia.

They are going to use their credits for an Interdisciplinary Degree at Liberty. Here is a link to the Degree Completion https://www.liberty.edu/registrar/wp-con...S-BS-D.pdf
(if you attend in person, there is a different degree completion plan) Since they are so young, they haven't really decided on their "Areas of Concentration" but my daughter's will include Art since that's her interest.

If something changes along the way, I hope they find a college that will accept the ACE/Sophia Credits, but I'm hoping we can just make the Liberty thing work out since I have heard that they could graduate with a BS degree from there for less than 10k with the transfer credits. Not the cheapest out there but a huge savings over typical routes.

I just wanted to provide that extra background info because these are "average" teens, not class valedictorian types who've got their crap together. Angel Big Grin

There are other options besides Liberty for degree completion using ACE credits. There are definitely options that are less than $10K.

Thanks, I am aware. Smile  We wanted a Study and Sophia partner, and we narrowed it down further based on other factors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 947 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 501 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 822 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,785 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,519 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TADA credit NapoleonInRags 16 1,879 05-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACE Credit Recommended Professional Cook Certification lumina 5 1,023 01-26-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: bellbaby
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 932 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Education and alternative credit platforms Londinium7 0 616 10-31-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Londinium7