Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Learning - New membership levels and pricing
(03-16-2022, 02:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Jwheels27 Wrote:I meant I had already signed up for Sophia prior to the rate change, so I’m grandfathered in at the $79 monthly charge. $99 a month or $299 for four is still a steal for all the credits you can bust out at Sophia! 

After many years of procrastination, I’m FINALLY pursuing my degree BJ!! ?

Awesome, it is a very good start.  Make sure to multi-task with a second monitor and take classes that apply to your degree (skip ones that don't).  Do you have a spreadsheet to follow as an action plan?  You can use the spreadsheet for reference and tracking purposes.
Yup I’m pursuing the BABA- Management and Leadership from UMPI! I’ve got a spreadsheet on my desktop saved to Pages as well as a printed copy to cross off classes as I go!
I just got an email earlier today in regards to Sophia.org remaining at $79/month for existing members.  If you change to their other billing options for 4 months or 12 months, you will not be able to change back.

New members, it's $99/month if you subscribed after the end of March 2022...  For best bang for the buck, decide on the number of courses you need, the more courses and time you need, the 4 month subscription for $299 may be more worth it.

You’ve got (new) options - It’s go time

We launched Sophia’s new, flexible membership options last week.
Because you’re a valued member, we locked in your rate at the low price of $79 a month.
This rate continues until you choose to cancel.

Students who rejoin after cancelling their membership will be subject to new membership rates.
Got your eye on an upgrade?

Choose a new membership option in your account settings. Please note that if you upgrade to a four-month or 12-month membership you won’t be able to return to the $79 monthly rate.
4 Months – $299, a savings of 25%
12 Months – $599, a savings of 50%

Save on membership
Have a question?
learningcoach@sophia.org

225 South 6th Street, Suite 900 Minneapolis, MN 55402
2022 - Sophia Learning, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • MNomadic
(03-15-2022, 04:48 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
jsd Wrote:I hope they're working on new courses. They could rival Study.com if they started to massively expand their offerings.

LevelUP Wrote:Sophia is a part of Capella/Strayer so they could snap their fingers and shut down Sophia altogether if they felt that Sophia was cannibalizing their online college revenue.

Yes, I think it can go either way, but more leaning towards what jsd is saying here.  I think they'll be expanding slowly just to start the processes of gaining market share and eating into StraighterLine/Study.com's chunk of the pie.

(03-15-2022, 02:28 PM)Vle045 Wrote: This is true.  If my son were to say he wanted to take a “Gap Year” before starting college, I would totally be on board with that idea if he were working on Sophia for that year.   Wink

(Dear Lord, please let my kid choose some sort of degree.  He is not the type that would do well in a trade.  We don’t want him living in our basement the rest of his life!   Bahaha.)

That's a great idea!  My niece and nephew are in their late teens, the 4 month or 1 year membership would be ideal to get them started on their journey.

Isn't it likely that they'll apply to colleges that won't accept Sophia credit?
muu9 Wrote:Isn't it likely that they'll apply to colleges that won't accept Sophia credit?

It all depends, the Big 3 and CBE's all transfer in ACE credit, many members on the board here are specifically wanting to get college degrees the cheap, easy, fast route. Some try to add a bit of ROI/Value while trying to get their Associates, Bachelors, or even at the Masters level. You can always ladder from an average or above average ranking school to a better one...

Close to 2900+ schools accept CLEP, 1900+ accept ACE, and 1500+ accept NCCRS credits for transfer into their degrees, further to that, many schools allow up to 75% transfer. We recommend schools that are either Public/State colleges and universities or ones that provide a degree for a reasonable price using either competency based education or alternative credit friendly...

Just to let you know (and others who are reading), when I did an "evaluation" of the Big 3 and the CBE options, the bulk of them actually ranked in "my personal" list of top 10% in the entire country of about 6 thousand schools and the worst few of them were in the top 20%. If that matters to you, you shouldn't really need to worry about these Regionally Accredited institutions.

My methodology was to "map" out the ones who were ranked on 4 websites and filtered them by the rankings those 4 sites had for each of the Big 3 and CBE options, each and every one of them made the top 1500 schools on each website list, Excelsior actually beat out TESU on two of them but I still chose TESU.... anyways, it's all personal preferences when you choose a school. Find your preference.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • schlocker
(04-21-2022, 03:14 PM)muu9 Wrote: Isn't it likely that they'll apply to colleges that won't accept Sophia credit?

Sure, it’s possible. I don’t know how likely it is.  But even so, it still has value.  Sophia is very affordable.  And you can also make it fit for a variety of needs.  Next year, my son will have Algebra 2 and American History.  If he takes the College Algebra and US History courses, that can give him a little head start on those classes.  Especially if Algebra is hard for him and he needs the free tutoring included with Sophia.  If he has interest in Business, for example, he can take those courses and see if that is the path for him.  If so, he would have at least a familiarity with the subjects from the start.  From my perspective, it’s a valuable resource either way.  For college entrance, maybe it can - at minimum - show him as someone who works hard.  He does struggle with his grades due to his ADHD.  In a single course, he can have anywhere from an A to F each quarter throughout the year.  It’s like he just can’t consistently juggle that many classes.  Yet, he is very smart.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(04-22-2022, 06:27 AM)Vle045 Wrote: He does struggle with his grades due to his ADHD.  In a single course, he can have anywhere from an A to F each quarter throughout the year.  It’s like he just can’t consistently juggle that many classes.  Yet, he is very smart.

Definitely common for someone with AD(H)D. https://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/executive-function
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-22-2022, 06:58 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 06:27 AM)Vle045 Wrote: He does struggle with his grades due to his ADHD.  In a single course, he can have anywhere from an A to F each quarter throughout the year.  It’s like he just can’t consistently juggle that many classes.  Yet, he is very smart.

Definitely common for someone with AD(H)D. https://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/executive-function

And the thing that sucks is that he *wants* to go to this private high school and they will *NOT* provide any accommodations for his disability.  He knows this and still wants to try to do it on his own.  His grades drive me nuts.  He will literally have an F one quarter and a B the next.  He’s not failing any tests.  He understands the material.  He participates in class.   He just doesn’t always finish/turn in assignments.  Especially those large ones.  Which is why he had a 504 plan in middle school.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 105 52,157 9 hours ago
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 275 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,860 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 601 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,957 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares