Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Learning Non-proctored?
(08-13-2018, 10:14 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 10:03 AM)SophiaLearning Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 02:39 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 02:36 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 02:13 PM)katelynn Wrote: Hey guys, I'm a tad inconvenienced at the moment and need some help. 

I love the Sophia format and really want to return to them for some of my Gen Ed courses. I've taken their free courses as well as their Philosophy course, which were all non-proctored. The reason these worked out for me is because I don't have a webcam at the moment. My laptop is quite old and I'm in the market for a new one (just went to Best Buy yesterday, actually). I'm confident I'll be making a final decision on a new laptop fairly soon, and the proctored courses will no longer be an issue as I'll have a built in webcam. IN THE MEAN TIME, I have a lot of free time this weekend and as we all know, time is money. Are there any other courses through Sophia that you guys have taken that didn't have the ID verification final? 

It seems both the English courses only have a final milestone (I think that means no ID verified final), but I'm not positive. The history courses also look promising based on their student guides. I really can't be sure and would love some feedback from those of you who actually finished these courses. I need a bunch of credits, so please advise me to anything that isn't proctored. 

Also, any updates on the Sophia coupons? Really bummed about the 5 for $99 each coupon being cancelled. I think the 50% Phoenix coupon is still applicable. 

Thanks guys!

This doesn't help with Sophia, but there are a few Straighterline options without a final exam (their courses that have finals do require proctoring).  English 1 & 2 (though neither can be done in just one weekend unless you're a crazy fast writer) and all of their science labs also.

I had no idea Straighterline offered several courses without a final exam! You're a life saver, Jennifer! Do you know if those two English courses will satisfy the English portion of the TESU BSBA degree? I really want to get the English portion over with.

If you create an account on sophia.org, NONE of the courses are proctored (using biometric keyboard verification instead).  Also, if you register for 3 courses, you can use HALFOFF promo code for 50% all courses (AGP is $149 full retail, so this course ends up being $74.50 and transfers to TESU as PHI-226).

Thanks for the info.

What is "biometric keyboard verification?"

Biometric keyboard verification is when the system records how you type a sentence. It's pretty cool.  So instead of being on camera and scheduling a session with a proctor, you just type a sentence that is presented to you (about 10-12 words) and by the way you type (fluency, cadence, etc), it recognizes that it's you!
[-] The following 4 users Like SophiaLearning's post:
  • AwardTour, katelynn, MNomadic, suzycupcake
That is extremely cool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • SophiaLearning
(08-13-2018, 10:18 AM)SophiaLearning Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 02:39 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 02:36 PM)cookderosa Wrote: This doesn't help with Sophia, but there are a few Straighterline options without a final exam (their courses that have finals do require proctoring).  English 1 & 2 (though neither can be done in just one weekend unless you're a crazy fast writer) and all of their science labs also.

I had no idea Straighterline offered several courses without a final exam! You're a life saver, Jennifer! Do you know if those two English courses will satisfy the English portion of the TESU BSBA degree? I really want to get the English portion over with.

If you create an account on sophia.org, NONE of the courses are proctored (using biometric keyboard verification instead).  Also, if you register for 3 courses, you can use HALFOFF promo code for 50% all courses (AGP is $149 full retail, so this course ends up being $74.50 and transfers to TESU as PHI-226).

Thanks for the info.

Biometric keyboard verification is when the system records how you type a sentence. It's pretty cool.  So instead of being on camera and scheduling a session with a proctor, you just type a sentence that is presented to you (about 10-12 words) and by the way you type (fluency, cadence, etc), it recognizes that it's you!

Isn't that neat! I will definitely be using your services more often now. May I ask, how many paper/essay assignments are required in Sophia Learning Comp I? I'm using Straighterline right now and I'm not enjoying the format, so I was thinking of switching if the work load is lighter. Also, are there any plans on adding a Comp II anytime soon?
From the Sophia site:
"Assessments & Grading
This is a pass/fail course. You'll complete 13 Challenge assessments (these are like quizzes), 4 Milestone assessments (these are like tests), and 4 Touchstone assessments (these are like written assignments) with an overall score of 70% or better."
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • katelynn
(08-13-2018, 02:59 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 02:39 PM)katelynn Wrote: I had no idea Straighterline offered several courses without a final exam! You're a life saver, Jennifer! Do you know if those two English courses will satisfy the English portion of the TESU BSBA degree? I really want to get the English portion over with.

Thanks for the info.

Isn't that neat! I will definitely be using your services more often now. May I ask, how many paper/essay assignments are required in Sophia Learning Comp I? I'm using Straighterline right now and I'm not enjoying the format, so I was thinking of switching if the work load is lighter. Also, are there any plans on adding a Comp II anytime soon?

There are 5 Touchstones in English Comp 1.  However, the course was just renovated to a side-by-side platform so you don't have to toggle anymore from the Challenge questions to the tutorial.  I attached a screenshot.   When it comes to written Touchstones, it might be nice to have the extra time - extensions are free and easy to manage.

Attached Files
.png   Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 3.03.20 PM.png (Size: 196.11 KB / Downloads: 56)
[-] The following 1 user Likes SophiaLearning's post:
  • kai1120
(08-13-2018, 03:09 PM)SophiaLearning Wrote:

Thanks for the info.

There are 5 Touchstones in English Comp 1.  However, the course was just renovated to a side-by-side platform so you don't have to toggle anymore from the Challenge questions to the tutorial.  I attached a screenshot.   When it comes to written Touchstones, it might be nice to have the extra time - extensions are free and easy to manage.

That sounds perfect for me. Straighterline doesn't want to give me a refund for their Comp I course, but hopefully I can convince them to switch me to another course so that I can take Comp I through you guys. 

I just tried to find more info about the biometric keyboard verification system but couldn't find anything on Google. Did you guys get rid of the video proctoring altogether? I've never heard of the biometric keyboard verification being listed as a possible option. I actually already have an account with you guys from a couple months back, can I access the biometric keyboard option on that account? Or do I need to make a new one?
(08-13-2018, 07:46 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 10:14 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Thanks for the info.

That sounds perfect for me. Straighterline doesn't want to give me a refund for their Comp I course, but hopefully I can convince them to switch me to another course so that I can take Comp I through you guys. 

I just tried to find more info about the biometric keyboard verification system but couldn't find anything on Google. Did you guys get rid of the video proctoring altogether? I've never heard of the biometric keyboard verification being listed as a possible option. I actually already have an account with you guys from a couple months back, can I access the biometric keyboard option on that account? Or do I need to make a new one?

We are currently testing biometric keyboard verification at this time with those who create an account on sophia.org.  If your account was originally created on sophia.org, then you'll be set!
(08-13-2018, 08:00 PM)SophiaLearning Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 10:18 AM)SophiaLearning Wrote: Biometric keyboard verification is when the system records how you type a sentence. It's pretty cool.  So instead of being on camera and scheduling a session with a proctor, you just type a sentence that is presented to you (about 10-12 words) and by the way you type (fluency, cadence, etc), it recognizes that it's you!

We are currently testing biometric keyboard verification at this time with those who create an account on sophia.org.  If your account was originally created on sophia.org, then you'll be set!

I am going to take English Comp 1 with Sophia.org instead of Straighterline after reading this thread. I might take Public Speaking with Sophia.org as well. How many videos do I have to upload to youtube if I take Public Speaking at Sophia.org?
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(08-14-2018, 04:08 AM)AwardTour Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 08:00 PM)SophiaLearning Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 02:59 PM)katelynn Wrote: Isn't that neat! I will definitely be using your services more often now. May I ask, how many paper/essay assignments are required in Sophia Learning Comp I? I'm using Straighterline right now and I'm not enjoying the format, so I was thinking of switching if the work load is lighter. Also, are there any plans on adding a Comp II anytime soon?

I am going to take English Comp 1 with Sophia.org instead of Straighterline after reading this thread. I might take Public Speaking with Sophia.org as well. How many videos do I have to upload to youtube if I take Public Speaking at Sophia.org?
Sophia's Public Speaking course requires 2 video assignments (and 2 text-based assignments).  Good luck!  : )
[-] The following 1 user Likes SophiaLearning's post:
  • AwardTour
Sophia has the best interface and "system" I have used hands down (and thumbs up to them!), I highly recommend them for as many courses as you can take that is not offered by another provider. Their customer service is top notch as well when I needed something added or my profile changed, they were really quick to get that done.

One thing to note, Sophia - can you work on your pricing? I speak for myself, but others may find your pricing a tad more expensive than other providers for similar courses. The HALFOFF coupon provided and profile switch to using Phoenix was the only option to lower the pricing to a comparable cost to some competitors such as Study.com or StraighterLine.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • kai1120, katelynn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 359 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 782 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,447 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,324 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 336 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 656 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 938 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 216 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 891 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 361 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle