Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia - Retaking a course for a higher grade
Can I pay to retake a Sophia course if I feel like I did not score well. I got a 71% on Micro and added the course on ACE a month ago but I want to take it again and willing to pay Sophia  For it so I can attempt to score high since the college looks at letter grade. My GPA is not so high. I don’t like to take another course. Will that cause issues if I have two similar courses from one source on a transcript taken twice with diff completion dates? I know some might say I don’t need to add it since it’s a pass and fail type but I want the Sophia parchment to match the new completion date. Should I take the course elsewhere although Sophia format is something I enjoy already.
Hey jembig, Which school are you planning to attend that accepts these course and gives them an external GPA? Is this COSC - Charter Oak State College or something else? If the course was taken at Sophia, it maybe best to chat/email them and see if/when you can retake the course, some providers have a certain date you have to retake the course, such as OnlineDegree it's 3 months, and Saylor is like 2 weeks, some providers like Study.com, are just 3 days...

I would recommend taking the course again mainly for learning purposes so you get a better handle on the subject, especially since the course is so affordable now. I believe if you do the course again, they'll just put the course with the highest grade in the transcript. As you mentioned, because these courses are pass/fail, and they're external GPA from an education provider (not a college institution), the weight on the GPA won't really matter for admittance to a college or university.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-14-2020, 12:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey jembig, Which school are you planning to attend that accepts these course and gives them an external GPA? Is this COSC - Charter Oak State College or something else?  If the course was taken at Sophia, it maybe best to chat/email them and see if/when you can retake the course, some providers have a certain date you have to retake the course, such as OnlineDegree it's 3 months, and Saylor is like 2 weeks, some providers like Study.com, are just 3 days...  

I would recommend taking the course again mainly for learning purposes so you get a better handle on the subject, especially since the course is so affordable now.  I believe if you do the course again, they'll just put the course with the highest grade in the transcript.  As you mentioned, because these courses are pass/fail, and they're external GPA from an education provider (not a college institution), the weight on the GPA won't really matter for admittance to a college or university.
Great idea! I do want to take it for learning purposes. COSC is the school I’m very cautious about sending letter grades to. However, the Sophia course was added on my ace transcript already. I wonder if the evaluator will find it odd if two similar classes are on my ace transcript with diff completion dates. I was told over the phone you can retake the course. Do I have to explain the college I’m sending my ACE transcript to that I took the course again?

(08-14-2020, 12:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey jembig, Which school are you planning to attend that accepts these course and gives them an external GPA? Is this COSC - Charter Oak State College or something else?  If the course was taken at Sophia, it maybe best to chat/email them and see if/when you can retake the course, some providers have a certain date you have to retake the course, such as OnlineDegree it's 3 months, and Saylor is like 2 weeks, some providers like Study.com, are just 3 days...  

I would recommend taking the course again mainly for learning purposes so you get a better handle on the subject, especially since the course is so affordable now.  I believe if you do the course again, they'll just put the course with the highest grade in the transcript.  As you mentioned, because these courses are pass/fail, and they're external GPA from an education provider (not a college institution), the weight on the GPA won't really matter for admittance to a college or university.
Great idea! I do want to take it for learning purposes. COSC is the school I’m very cautious about sending letter grades to. However, the Sophia course was added on my ace transcript already. I wonder if the evaluator will find it odd if two similar classes are on my ace transcript with diff completion dates. I was told over the phone you can retake the course. Do I have to explain the college I’m sending my ACE transcript to that I took the course again?
If you're sending the ACE transcript to COSC the grade will not appear. That only applies when transcripts are sent directly from a partner provider.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-14-2020, 01:20 AM)jembig Wrote:

Microeconomy was the first (3-credits) course i even take, for learning purposes i highly recomend you to take this course with Saylor. Taking the course with Saylor is free and you can also pay about 25 USD for the exam and credits. Saylor microeconomy uses the video recorded classes from MIT and a pretty nice texts. The general concept of saylor here in the forum is that materials are not friendly and that exam don't fit with course flow and materials. For microeconomy i can say it is different. The course will takes you more that Sophia version but for learning purposes it is better.

You can also take "intermediate microeconomy" with Saylor, but this course is not ACE approved yet.

In the other hand, i don't know about some ones reasons to retake a course based on grade, but for example, if you seek a Master/PhD degree, Tennessee university (as i was researched some time ago), claim for a degree with B or A grade in each courses (or overall grade, i don't remember). This could be a reason to retake courses as other universities could also have similar request for graduated degrees.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 424 9 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 882 Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 62,023 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 112 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 501 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,434 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 741 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 993 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 257 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 991 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab