Poll: Best compatibility with TESU Gen Ed?
This poll is closed.
Sophia
50.00%
10 50.00%
Straighterline
10.00%
2 10.00%
Study.com
40.00%
8 40.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia, Straighterline, or study.com ?
(01-22-2021, 11:43 AM)Flelm Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 11:40 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It depends on what degree you want. If you want computer science, TESU is still the cheapest and easiest. But if you want business, history, or English then UMPI is probably a better choice. COSC and EC have their own good options as well.

Ugh, you're right. I was in the business mindset only. My comment of not going with TESU was meant for a business degree only.

You need to figure out what degree you want (if you haven't already) and then figure out what's most important to you: time, cost, accreditation/concentration/AoS options, etc. and choose a degree program based on all those things.
The thing is I'm still mostly focused on collecting Gen Ed credits, and still considering between computer science and possibly business.
Would TESU still be a good choice?
I would like to stay with either TESU or COSC.
Also, can I collect credits without being enrolled in any particular university I'm still in high school?

(01-22-2021, 11:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Check this other page on the wiki for course recommendations: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

I should add SL because some people do favor that style but SDC and Sophia are usually going to be cheaper.

Thank you so much for the link it's really helpful!
Also, do you know if Sophia is proctored?
If you're still in high school, are any AP classes available to you? They're very valuable for Gen. Ed. credit. Often a single AP class can be 6-8 credits when transferred to a college/university.

TESU is fine, but it's intended for adult learners. If you have no college experience, there's extra hoops to jump through: https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/undergrad-admissions. It's also not the cheapest (except for CompSci like rachel83az said), and not the fastest.

I have no real knowledge or experience with COSC so I'll let someone else answer that.

You can take ACE/NCCRS classes and courses, but they don't count as true college credit until they're transferred into a college that accepts them, after you apply. TESU just revised their ACE guidelines and that left a bunch of people scrambling. If you're just focused on collecting credit, I would look at only Sophia because of its price and ease of use until you make more decisions.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 2 users Like Flelm's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
(01-22-2021, 11:54 AM)Kadenbloom Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 11:40 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It depends on what degree you want. If you want computer science, TESU is still the cheapest and easiest. But if you want business, history, or English then UMPI is probably a better choice. COSC and EC have their own good options as well.

Ugh, you're right. I was in the business mindset only. My comment of not going with TESU was meant for a business degree only.

You need to figure out what degree you want (if you haven't already) and then figure out what's most important to you: time, cost, accreditation/concentration/AoS options, etc. and choose a degree program based on all those things.
The thing is I'm still mostly focused on collecting Gen Ed credits, and still considering between computer science and possibly business.
Also, can I collect credits without being enrolled in any particular university I'm still in high school?

TESU would be good for comp sci but maybe not business. For gen eds, you're going to want to get RA credit (see the roadmap for why). If you're still in high school, check for dual-enrollment options available to you locally. Some localities allow you to get gen eds that way for SUPER cheap.

If you don't have dual enrollment available, make sure you focus on gen eds from TEL Learning or some other inexpensive RA source FIRST before you go grabbing alternate credit.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Flelm, Pikachu
(01-22-2021, 12:02 PM)Flelm Wrote: If you're still in high school, are any AP classes available to you? They're very valuable for Gen. Ed. credit. Often a single AP class can be 6-8 credits when transferred to a college/university.

TESU is fine, but it's intended for adult learners. If you have no college experience, there's extra hoops to jump through: https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/undergrad-admissions. It's also not the cheapest (except for CompSci like rachel83az said), and not the fastest.

I have no real knowledge or experience with COSC so I'll let someone else answer that.

You can take ACE/NCCRS classes and courses, but they don't count as true college credit until they're transferred into a college that accepts them, after you apply. TESU just revised their ACE guidelines and that left a bunch of people scrambling. If you're just focused on collecting credit, I would look at only Sophia because of its price and ease of use until you make more decisions.
I'm trying to head straight for a bachelor's degree and collecting Gen Ed instead of focusing on a high school diploma. I won't be able to test for AP in person due to my parents' work and relocating often. Can you do an AP test online proctored?

(01-22-2021, 12:03 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 11:54 AM)Kadenbloom Wrote:

TESU would be good for comp sci but maybe not business. For gen eds, you're going to want to get RA credit (see the roadmap for why). If you're still in high school, check for dual-enrollment options available to you locally. Some localities allow you to get gen eds that way for SUPER cheap.

If you don't have dual enrollment available, make sure you focus on gen eds from TEL Learning or some other inexpensive RA source FIRST before you go grabbing alternate credit.
What exactly is RA credit?
And Why should I focus on collecting that instead of ACE credits?
Are you planning on getting a GED or what? Because you're not going to be able to even enroll in a degree program if you don't have a HS diploma or GED. And I would highly recommend you don't go for the GED, though a GED can grant you up to 10 college credits.

(01-22-2021, 12:15 PM)Kadenbloom Wrote: What exactly is RA credit?
And Why should I focus on collecting that instead of ACE credits?

All of this is covered across this forum and on the wiki, which is why multiple people have suggested you read that first. RA credits = actual college credits. TESU now requires that you have at least 30 RA credits. 6 have to come from them, 24 (about 8 classes) can come from another college or university. If you don't have any RA credits, you won't get a TESU degree. End of story.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(01-22-2021, 12:23 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Are you planning on getting a GED or what? Because you're not going to be able to even enroll in a degree program if you don't have a HS diploma or GED. And I would highly recommend you don't go for the GED, though a GED can grant you up to 10 college credits.
I'm in a homeschool private school where my ACE credit are counted for high school credits. So I will have an HS diploma before enrolling in college/university. Similar to dual credit enrolment. My friend is in college collecting credits while homeschooled during high school.
It's a bit confusing.
Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kadenbloom's post:
  • Pikachu
(01-22-2021, 12:28 PM)Kadenbloom Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 12:23 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Are you planning on getting a GED or what? Because you're not going to be able to even enroll in a degree program if you don't have a HS diploma or GED. And I would highly recommend you don't go for the GED, though a GED can grant you up to 10 college credits.
I'm in a homeschool private school where my ACE credit are counted for high school credits. So I will have an HS diploma before enrolling in college/university. Similar to dual inrolment. My friend is in college collecting credits while still in high school.
It's a bit confusing.
Smile

Ah, okay, yes. That works. You still need RA credit, though. Or else your only inexpensive options will be Excelsior or UMPI.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(01-22-2021, 12:31 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 12:28 PM)Kadenbloom Wrote:
I'm in a homeschool private school where my ACE credit are counted for high school credits. So I will have an HS diploma before enrolling in college/university. Similar to dual inrolment. My friend is in college collecting credits while still in high school.
It's a bit confusing.
Smile

Ah, okay, yes. That works. You still need RA credit, though. Or else your only inexpensive options will be Excelsior or UMPI.
So even if I do Sophia, SL, SDC, or CLEP I will still need RA credits??
What exactly is RA credit?
RA credits = Regionally Accredited credits. Credits from an actual college or university, NOT ACE credits.

Yes, TESU no longer allows you to get a degree with only ACE credits from Sophia/SDC/SL. Please read the wiki.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
There are many dual enrollment options out there, including TEL - from many different schools. If you can't get free DE (state-based generally), the next cheapest option I know of is $25/cr at WVU. But there are many for $30/cr, $50/cr, $60, $65, $70, $75, etc.

Also TEL has an option through their MCA (Micro-Collegiate Academy) where you can do a 5-course bundle for $100/course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Offer for StraighterLine Course hsufeng 0 57 Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 868 Yesterday, 03:22 PM
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 4 110 Yesterday, 03:20 PM
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 61,860 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 103 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 485 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,425 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 380 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 735 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 992 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az