Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Suggestions
(09-10-2021, 05:01 PM)JB33 Wrote: Thanks for all of the information here. I also read that I could get a third class added via live chat while waiting on English Comp grades, so I've done that and signed up for the Algebra course. I'm pretty good at math, so I'm not too worried about it. I just thought I'd need a physical calculator to do it.

Also, I had no idea about the WGU Academy for A+ cert. I could definitely do the certs within a month, so that's a pretty huge savings! Thanks a lot for letting me know!! It looks like for the WGU Academy that a PACA: Intro to Communication and Development course is required, I'm assuming this covers the required Intro to Communications requirement for the degree as well? So, maybe I shouldn't worry about doing the communication at work via Sophia if I go this route?
This is just my 2¢, but if you're planning to do a bunch of transfer courses through study and Sophia, I wouldn't worry about WGU Academy. Doing PACA through them will be more effort than it's worth since you can literally fine sh Sophia's communication at work within an afternoon if you want. I'd just prestudy for all your IT certs ahead of time using cheap/free sources and then plan to take them shortly after enrolling at WGU with your included vouchers.

Most of the time, the people I see do WGU academy are people with no credits whatsoever who just want to meet minimum entrance requirements at WGU who don't know about any alternative credit opportunities. With the transfer credits you're getting and your work experience in software development, you should be fine to meet admissions requirements.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(09-10-2021, 06:29 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 05:01 PM)JB33 Wrote: Thanks for all of the information here. I also read that I could get a third class added via live chat while waiting on English Comp grades, so I've done that and signed up for the Algebra course. I'm pretty good at math, so I'm not too worried about it. I just thought I'd need a physical calculator to do it.

Also, I had no idea about the WGU Academy for A+ cert. I could definitely do the certs within a month, so that's a pretty huge savings! Thanks a lot for letting me know!! It looks like for the WGU Academy that a PACA: Intro to Communication and Development course is required, I'm assuming this covers the required Intro to Communications requirement for the degree as well? So, maybe I shouldn't worry about doing the communication at work via Sophia if I go this route?
This is just my 2¢, but if you're planning to do a bunch of transfer courses through study and Sophia, I wouldn't worry about WGU Academy. Doing PACA through them will be more effort than it's worth since you can literally fine sh Sophia's communication at work within an afternoon if you want. I'd just prestudy for all your IT certs ahead of time using cheap/free sources and then plan to take them shortly after enrolling at WGU with your included vouchers.

Most of the time, the people I see do WGU academy are people with no credits whatsoever who just want to meet minimum entrance requirements at WGU who don't know about any alternative credit opportunities. With the transfer credits you're getting and your work experience in software development, you should be fine to meet admissions requirements.

Ah, alright. So I can just be ready to take the A+ certs as soon as I start WGU and get the vouchers free through them without doing any WGU training for them first? Also, yeah I have zero issue with meeting admissions requirements.
I also had one question... from what I've read it seems it doesn't matter if you barely passed or got a 100% on all of the ACE credits regardless of where you're taking them right? Just curious since WGU has 80% as passing from what I've read but Sophia and I'm sure others only require 70%?
(09-10-2021, 01:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I second the notion that you don't need a calculator for Sophia's Algebra. It's nice to have one, but your phone or a similar 9-digit calculator will work just fine. With Statistics, they give you instructions for doing things on specific calculators OR Excel so no calculator is needed there either.

Take as much as possible at Sophia, then fill out the remaining available transfers with SDC and you should be good to go.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the rationale for starting with Sophia and then going to SDC? Are we missing courses?
(09-14-2021, 09:37 AM)sophia UX Wrote: Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the rationale for starting with Sophia and then going to SDC? Are we missing courses?

Yes. Sophia doesn't have any upper-level courses while SDC has a number of them. SDC also has a number of computer courses to take.

Specifically for a BS in Software Development at WGU, you can compare Sophia (35 applicable credits) to SDC (65 applicable credits).
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • sophia UX
(09-14-2021, 09:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 09:37 AM)sophia UX Wrote: Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the rationale for starting with Sophia and then going to SDC? Are we missing courses?

Yes. Sophia doesn't have any upper-level courses while SDC has a number of them. SDC also has a number of computer courses to take.

Specifically for a BS in Software Development at WGU, you can compare Sophia (35 applicable credits) to SDC (65 applicable credits).
I'm being redundant today:  have to go somewhere else to get American Government Sad Would MUCH rather take it at Sophia!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes k-k-k-katy's post:
  • NC Coach
(09-14-2021, 12:44 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 09:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

I'm being redundant today:  have to go somewhere else to get American Government Sad Would MUCH rather take it at Sophia!!
I agree with Katy! I’d love an American Government course on Sophia. I’ve been delaying taking it elsewhere in hopes Sophia has one before my year membership expires.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,399 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,800 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,873 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,399 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 606 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,970 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,812 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares