Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future
I'm likely going for the history degree at TESU.   Does anyone think this would duplicate either of the US History courses?   It doesn't seem to me like it should, but I don't want to spend time on it if it would.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
I'm pretty sure it won't. And, like I said, there is a slim chance that it will work for the research methods requirement. I would go ahead and take it if I were going for a history degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Benefit of having it vs dificulty and cost of having it= worth having it for a history degree. Specially since there are not to many history courses cheap.
(06-19-2021, 08:55 PM)NC Coach Wrote: I'm likely going for the history degree at TESU.   Does anyone think this would duplicate either of the US History courses?   It doesn't seem to me like it should, but I don't want to spend time on it if it would.

Sent from my NX591J using DegreeForum.net mobile app
(06-20-2021, 09:16 AM)Kab Wrote: Benefit of having it vs dificulty and cost of having it= worth having it for a history degree. Specially since there are not to many history courses cheap.
(06-19-2021, 08:55 PM)NC Coach Wrote: I'm likely going for the history degree at TESU.   Does anyone think this would duplicate either of the US History courses?   It doesn't seem to me like it should, but I don't want to spend time on it if it would.

I understand that may be the case for someone just starting out who needs a degree for a career, and/or someone who must watch every penny.   I don't need any degree at all.  I'm in my 50's and a senior level executive in the mortgage business who makes well into six figures.   I want a degree for personal fulfillment only.    

I'd rather study something I enjoy.   When I realized how many history books I have on my Kindle I felt that is a pretty good indication it's a subject I enjoy reading about.   If I'm going to put in the effort, it might as well be learning more about something I'd read about even if it wasn't in a class.

Cost is honestly pretty unimportant to me, as long as it remains within reason.   I've also mapped it out and quite honestly I don't feel the cost will be that significant.   There are history degree roadmaps on this site, and while it's not the cheapest degree, it isn't that bad.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
(06-20-2021, 09:16 AM)Kab Wrote: Benefit of having it vs dificulty and cost of having it= worth having it for a history degree. Specially since there are not to many history courses cheap.

There are LOTS of inexpensive history courses all over the place.  Maybe not as cheap as Sophia, but this is certainly a degree you can get at any of the Big 3 for less than $10k starting at 0 credits (and possibly far less).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • NC Coach
UMPI has a bachelor's in history which can be completed pretty inexpensively if you can set aside time to get it done in 2 terms. That would cost you $2800 plus whatever it costs you to get your GEC and general electives transferred in. Not saying this would be easy. It would be cheap and quick though.
(06-20-2021, 10:41 AM)NC Coach Wrote:
(06-19-2021, 08:55 PM)NC Coach Wrote: I'm likely going for the history degree at TESU.   Does anyone think this would duplicate either of the US History courses?   It doesn't seem to me like it should, but I don't want to spend time on it if it would.

I understand that may be the case for someone just starting out who needs a degree for a career, and/or someone who must watch every penny.   I don't need any degree at all.  I'm in my 50's and a senior level executive in the mortgage business who makes well into six figures.   I want a degree for personal fulfillment only.    

I'd rather study something I enjoy.   When I realized how many history books I have on my Kindle I felt that is a pretty good indication it's a subject I enjoy reading about.   If I'm going to put in the effort, it might as well be learning more about something I'd read about even if it wasn't in a class.

Cost is honestly pretty unimportant to me, as long as it remains within reason.   I've also mapped it out and quite honestly I don't feel the cost will be that significant.   There are history degree roadmaps on this site, and while it's not the cheapest degree, it isn't that bad.

Bravo to learning for learnings sake! I am nearly done with a TESU BSBA accounting and my end goal is a CPA. Do I need either? Not really. I have a good professional career. (I am 47). Do I WANT both? Absolutely!

Along the journey, I picked up the BOG AAS from Pierpont.

I am also adding a BA History from TESU.

Why? I need 150 hours for the CPA. Most often taken as a masters, my state doesnt care. 150 hours. I’ll have more than enough accounting. Need the 150.

Second, the cost to add a history degree at TESU is less than a Masters.

Third, and most important, I really really like history.

Kudos to you for following your interests!! Learn for the sake of learning and personal fulfillment.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 2 users Like BrianFallon's post:
  • NC Coach, rachel83az
(06-21-2021, 01:40 PM)BrianFallon Wrote: Bravo to learning for learnings sake!  I am nearly done with a TESU BSBA accounting and my end goal is a CPA.  Do I need either?  Not really.  I have a good professional career. (I am 47). Do I WANT both?  Absolutely!

Along the journey, I picked up the BOG AAS from Pierpont.

I am also adding a BA History from TESU.

Why? I need 150 hours for the CPA.  Most often taken as a masters, my state doesnt care.  150 hours.  I’ll have more than enough accounting.  Need the 150.

Second, the cost to add a history degree at TESU is less than a Masters.

Third, and most important, I really really like history.  

Kudos to you for following your interests!!  Learn for the sake of learning and personal fulfillment.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Thank you!   Kudos to you also for your continued learning and pursuing the CPA.   May we never stop learning about something of interest!

I'm also picking up the BOG AAS, but not from Pierpont.   I'm in a class now with West Virginia University at Parkersburg to meet their 3-credit residency requirement (I needed RA credits anyway).   Being a native of WV, although I have lived in NC for several decades, I felt I'd rather have the degree from WVUP so I made the small additional investment to get the degree from a source I would prefer.  

Some would see that as an unnecessary cost, but for me it is a little extra money well-spent.   Wink

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
[-] The following 2 users Like NC Coach's post:
  • BrianFallon, rachel83az
Love Sophia got Freshman year Free Lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,465 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,874 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,401 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,973 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,812 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares