Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia burnout
Hi everyone! I have taken multiple courses through Sophia and I am getting burnt out on the wording of the questions. The public speaking has been the worst. I was going to register for Micro and macro economic, world religion and Statistic before I came across this site. I have been researching Straighterline and study.com and I was wondering if anyone had input on which one would be better for these courses? Thanks!
I would do Modern States for Macro/Micro and get the CLEP exams for free. Also use Crash Course Economics/ACDC Econ for extra study materials.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Study.com is great since you can get the scholarship to get 18 free credits.

You can also test out with Saylor, Davar, etc.

Study.com is Sophia on steroids.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(01-04-2018, 03:02 PM)landa1995 Wrote: I was going to register for Micro and macro economic, world religion and Statistic before I came across this site. I have been researching Straighterline and study.com and I was wondering if anyone had input on which one would be better for these courses? 

I have 36 credits from Sophia. I actually alternated 1 month with Sophia and 1 month with StraighterLine. The stark difference between the platforms kept me from getting burned out.

Microeconomics and Macroeconomics were my favorite Sophia courses. I recommend Kate as the instructor. Most of the answers come from her lessons. But you have to watch every video and take notes, they can't be just read because the visuals are so important to understand the shifts. Have you used the "ask a coach" feature? If you get stuck or can't find the answer to a question, tell them which instructor you are viewing and they will tell you if that answer is coming from a different instructor's videos.

I took World Religions with StraighterLine and it was a totally different experience from Sophia. I would recommend the StraighterLine to anyone who needed the Religion course. 

I haven't taken Statistics, but I hear Business Statistics at Straighterline is highly recommended by others.
I'm unsure but I think the Macro/Micro CLEP is generally harder than at other sources.

I tried Macro through Straighterline and Study.com and preferred Study.com. Others had different results.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
I think its good to switch around between different providers because you will get burnt out just using one. I did nine study.com courses in about the same number of weeks and I was really glad to get that last course finished. I personally enjoyed their course format for its ease of use and only needing to use Remote Proctor vs. Proctor U. But I couldn't have done all my credits through them. I took the World Religions and Speech courses there and they were pretty easy IMO. I've heard SL is good too but since I didn't take the same courses twice I can only speak to my experience with the one provider. I guess whichever one you use will be the one you recommend to others if it went well and if it didn't you'll probably warn people away from that particular option. If you can get the scholarship from study.com I wouldn't hesitate to use them. But whatever format you choose you'll probably want to switch them up every so often just to break up the tediousness.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(01-04-2018, 06:30 PM)sanantone Wrote: Study.com is Sophia on steroids.

Thanks for the warning!  Smile
I have used Study.com for about 15 courses so far and I find it helpful to alternate that with Shmoop bc the two are just completely different and it helps to take a break sometimes
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,195 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,862 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 603 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares