Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Sophia, only 2 courses active at one time
Logged in this morning and saw a new landing page layout where it tells you that you may only have two active courses at one time and also giving an option to drop courses.

I had only two active but also have the remainder not done scheduled out. I am curious if once all assignments are being graded and all done that can be done on the student end if they will consider a course complete and allow to start another or if will have to wait for all grading.

I guess I am fixing to find out as they say.

This however is a change that could make a difference as we all try and get the free Sophia courses done.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 2 users Like cerich67's post:
  • acmh1211, RizP
Oh dear. Well, I better hurry up and finish more Sophia classes, I guess.
(06-30-2020, 05:49 AM)cerich67 Wrote: Logged in this morning and saw a new landing page layout where it tells you that you may only have two active courses at one time and also giving an option to drop courses.

I had only two active but also have the remainder not done scheduled out. I am curious if once all assignments are being graded and all done that can be done on the student end if they will consider a course complete and allow to start another or if will have to wait for all grading.

I guess I am fixing to find out as they say.

This however is a change that could make a difference as we all try and get the free Sophia courses done.

I am waiting on the final Public Speaking to be graded and no it is not considered completed until I hit submit so I can't add any other classes. God I saw this coming but thought they would make the change tomorrow not today.
I guess one thing to do is not have two courses with assignments that have to be marked active at one time, so you can always complete the one without assignments quicker and on to another.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ARhead's post:
  • cecilgambe7
Yup, I have two open with assignments..so shall finish up and avoid doing so in future.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(06-30-2020, 10:22 AM)ARhead Wrote: I guess one thing to do is not have two courses with assignments that have to be marked active at one time, so you can always complete the one without assignments quicker and on to another.

Totally true, sadly my English Composition I course is in progess and not pretty advanced, im finishing with part 2 of 5... and waiting for the first assignment to be graded...

I actually don't know what to do... i really don't want to drop this course...
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(06-30-2020, 10:51 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 10:22 AM)ARhead Wrote: I guess one thing to do is not have two courses with assignments that have to be marked active at one time, so you can always complete the one without assignments quicker and on to another.

Totally true, sadly my English Composition I course is in progess and not pretty advanced, im finishing with part 2 of 5... and waiting for the first assignment to be graded...

I would just finish it out and be proactive. You can chat with them to see if they can grade it faster. 

FYI I dropped two courses as I already have them from a different school, It does not give me the same message for "starting" again compared to one I never added. Imo it probably will require a msg to Sophia to get reactivated if you drop it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes staroceanex's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(06-30-2020, 11:05 AM)staroceanex Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 10:51 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote:

I would just finish it out and be proactive. You can chat with them to see if they can grade it faster. 

FYI I dropped two courses as I already have them from a different school, It does not give me the same message for "starting" again compared to one I never added. Imo it probably will require a msg to Sophia to get reactivated if you drop it.

Thank you for your advice,

Actually i get the first assignment grade few minutes ago and i get 46/50!!

I can't believe it, as non-native english speaker i really was expecting really bad grade because my way to write is pretty bad in enligh. So this gives me the motivation to finish this course instead of dropping it.

Smile Smile Smile Smile
This won't help folks who already have English Comp Intro, I or II, or Public Speaking open, but it sounds to me like the way to handle this is to bang out the other courses and save those with assignments for last, or open no more than one such course at a time.  With the current promotion, you can get through quite a bit of other coursework while you're waiting for grades, conversely, you can miss out on a staggering number of courses if you're waiting for grading.

There's nothing to stop you from opening a course, starting on the assignments, and then dropping it.  Then when you're down to the last minute, re-take the course and submit the assignments (as many as possible) immediately.  If the next Touchstone is locked, you can ask via chat, email or phone to have it unlocked for submission before the deadline.  In any case, I suspect that they will have to extend the completion dates for folks who have to wait for one assignment to be graded before the next one is submitted, at least in those cases where one assignment is to revise the previous one.
(06-30-2020, 12:24 PM)ctcarl Wrote: This won't help folks who already have English Comp Intro, I or II, or Public Speaking open, but it sounds to me like the way to handle this is to bang out the other courses and save those with assignments for last, or open no more than one such course at a time.  With the current promotion, you can get through quite a bit of other coursework while you're waiting for grades, conversely, you can miss out on a staggering number of courses if you're waiting for grading.

There's nothing to stop you from opening a course, starting on the assignments, and then dropping it.  Then when you're down to the last minute, re-take the course and submit the assignments (as many as possible) immediately.  If the next Touchstone is locked, you can ask via chat, email or phone to have it unlocked for submission before the deadline.  In any case, I suspect that they will have to extend the completion dates for folks who have to wait for one assignment to be graded before the next one is submitted, at least in those cases where one assignment is to revise the previous one.

I think that after dropping a course you can re-start it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,464 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,746 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,873 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,400 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 547 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,970 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet