Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia.org credits
So I'm very familiar with Excelsior's admission process and everything I need to do for a degree.
If I completed every Sophia course that is free (I'm about more than halfway done). Is TESU a better option for affordability? Should I look into COSC?
What degree are you looking at at EC? What credits do you have outside of Sophia?

This shows you what courses will transfer to EC and what they transfer in as.

https://excelsior.sophia.org/#courses
I'm looking for an aa or ba, whatever is easiest to get mostly with Sophia.com and testing out. I understand I'll have to take a capstone or a few classes from the specific classes.

Just looking for the cheapest way since all those Sophia courses are free. I do not have any credit to transfer.

Also I can't find a degree list that points out exactly what kind of classes you need to fulfill each requirment for a specific degree at either 3 schools.
You will need to look at the catalog for each school individually. EC has their catalog online. Your best bet is going to be a bachelor's degree in liberal arts - either a BA or BS depending on the focus of your courses. There are other sources besides Sophia as well. They're not free, but are far cheaper than tuition.

Study.com - both LL and UL
StraighterLine - mostly LL
Davar Academy
Onlinedegree.com - mostly LL
Coopersmith

There's always CLEP and DSST tests but the testing centers around the nation have been closed due to COVID.

BYU has online courses and correspondence style courses where a 3 cr course is under $600

University of the Cumberlands is about $200 per credit - this would be online

FHSU is about $212 per credit - online courses both UL and LL

https://www.excelsior.edu/programs/liberal-arts/

https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...ts-degree/

https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...ts-degree/

http://publications.excelsior.edu/progra...e_Catalog/

It's a lot to take in and sort through. Take your time and feel free to ask questions on here! Someone will know the answer.
I did alot of research into EC it was the other two I didn't know much about. Should I look into one of the other two or stick with EC?
I would look at TESC and COSC as well. You may like their style better. At EC you're required to take 7 credits with them - Information Literacy, Capstone, and Cornerstone. The others have similar requirements.
I personally think AA's at EC/TESU are way overpriced (TESU because of the Residency waiver, EC because of the AA/AS capstone). But I'm not a fan of the AA/AS in the first place. If you just want an AA, you're better off at COSC. But I still don't recommend them.

For a BA/BS in Liberal Arts/Liberal Studies:
1) COSC is cheapest, EC and TESU are very similar in price but more expensive
2) TESU requires fewer UL credits (18cr) vs 30cr UL needed at COSC and EC
3) COSC and EC both have a BS in Liberal Arts/Liberal Studies, which allows for 60cr of non-liberal arts coursework (like computers, nursing, fire, police, paralegal, etc); TESU only has a BA in Liberal Studies, so you can only use up to 27cr of non-liberal arts courses (free electives)
4) EC will take NA credit while TESU and COSC will not
5) COSC is changing their policies on 7/1 to accept fewer ACE credits, so if you have RA credits to bring in, you're fine, but if not, it will be an issue.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
For an AA/AS one might be better off at their local community college. Tuition maybe less and they may receive state financial aid and possibly a PELL grant. Out in the working world, very few associate degrees are worth the paper they're printed on unfortunately. I have 2 of them and they make for lovely wallpaper. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 470 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 497 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Sophia to TESU Carnation 3 468 12-27-2023, 05:49 PM
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 603 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 792 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 433 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  Competency based certifications for Electronics and Nuclear credits? sciencemathematics1 5 492 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM