Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Sophia vs SL vs SDC, etc
I have been taking courses through Sophia and have found them to be pretty easy to get through. At a glance it looks like SL and SDC have a wider variety of classes available. I'm trying to take as many courses as possible through these sites before beginning at TESU and was looking for feedback on what to expect from courses on the other sites.  Are they comparable to Sophia, more difficult, etc.?

As always, thanks for the gift of your collective wisdom.
It depends on what degree you're going for. Sophia fulfills most of your GE requirements. SDC and SL can usually fill in the rest, depending on the degree. Some people find SDC courses to be pretty easy, others less so. SDC is usually preferred over SL, but it again depends on the person and the class(es). Don't forget to check out the review of the individual courses here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...YOUR-input
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • GizmoJack, nomaduser, tallpilot
Thanks for the quick response. I’m working on my BSBA-CIS. The format of the Sophia classes has been fantastic so far with their policies of open book milestones and minimal papers to write. I understand this will offend the sensibilities of some users of this site, but my goal in obtaining a degree is just obtaining an accredited piece of paper. I have 20+ years experience and have only returned to get my degree because I have lost out on job opportunities without it.

Do you know if, in general, the format of SDC similar to that of Sophia?
(09-07-2020, 07:14 PM)rbellak@gmail.com Wrote: Thanks for the quick response.  I’m working on my BSBA-CIS. The format of the Sophia classes has been fantastic so far with their policies of open book milestones and minimal papers to write.  I understand this will offend the sensibilities of some users of this site, but my goal in obtaining a degree is just obtaining an accredited piece of paper. I have 20+ years experience and have only returned to get my degree because I have lost out on job opportunities without it.

The format of most SDC courses is to have about 100ish lessons(on average) comprised of a 5-10 minute video and 5-10 minute multiple choice quiz. You get multiple tries on the quiz(so it's usually a good idea to keep taking until you score 100%). At the end of the course, there is a proctored, closed book final. Some classes(upper level, english composition and computer science mostly) have 1-4 assignments as well.

It may seem daunting to have so many mini lessons but for the most part they are quick and easy. Many people just read the transcripts quickly before taking the quiz or watch the video at 1.5-2x speed. SDC also has an app which is convenient for doing lessons during spare moments throughout the day.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Study.com has an app. That makes it much much easier to do courses with than the other two.

Also at Study.com material you take in History 101 (for instance) fills in all the other History courses that have that same material. So that makes it way faster to do classes too

I personally found Straighterline to just be so awful that I never finished any of the courses I bought from them. There's no UL there either. Sophia is cheap right now so I would do all you want from them and then do whatever else you need from Study.com
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • Muldoon, SteveFoerster
I've been advising people to do the Sophia.org/Study.com combination ever since Sophia started their special deals earlier in March, I've not advised anyone to use any other provider, even StraighterLine which was where I got most of my credit. Sophia popped into first place by leaping StraighterLine and Study.com...

Basically for lower level credit, Sophia.org has the majority you need, you can get a few more from InstantCertCredit and/or Davar, the majority of the upper level credit is usually from Study.com, again with one from InstantCertCredit and a few from Davar. I would go for mainly these providers, maybe even throw in Saylor.og
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-07-2020, 07:14 PM)rbellak@gmail.com Wrote: Thanks for the quick response.  I’m working on my BSBA-CIS. The format of the Sophia classes has been fantastic so far with their policies of open book milestones and minimal papers to write.  I understand this will offend the sensibilities of some users of this site, but my goal in obtaining a degree is just obtaining an accredited piece of paper. I have 20+ years experience and have only returned to get my degree because I have lost out on job opportunities without it.

rbellak,

Totally get where you're coming from... I have the tech job but need the tech degree to advance (so much for that criminal justice degree).. to add to what the others have already said, it depends on you, your learning style and your degree requirements- 

I wouldn't wait too long to apply to TESU, while you may not have a lot of credit to transfer in at the moment, you definitely want to apply and lock-in your program year (requirements do change from time to time)...  

You'll likely find yourself pulling credit from multiple sources/institutions- as a CIS major, Study.com will benefit you greatly due to the larger number of IT/CS courses they offer and your progress is counted concurrently across similar courses thus saving you time as you progress. 

With the app, there's pretty much zero excuse to not make progress on your course- it's a total win/win. My only advice would be to develop a plan for Study.com because it can get expensive pretty quickly... they do occasionally run 50% off for a yearly subscription, or $25/50.00 off referral discount instead of the $200 bucks a month college accelerator plan, but with whatever option you decide, have a plan for the courses you need vs want to save time once you're on the clock. To get college credit, you have to sign up for college accelerator at some point.

I took advantage of the Sophia freebee's earlier this year- the folks at Sophia are amazing- use them for whatever you can, but also surf around- Arizona State University has the "earned admission" program https://ea.asu.edu that allows you to take instructor guided and self-paced courses at a reduced rate (was much more reduced until last month- kind of hoping they reverse course), OnlineDegree.com (more similar to Sophia) also has some courses that will be useful to you.

Hang in there my friend- it'll be frustrating at times, but equally rewarding as you get closer to meeting your goal.

Wish you the best in your studies-
(09-07-2020, 07:58 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Sophia is cheap right now so I would do all you want from them and then do whatever else you need from Study.com

My thoughts exactly. 

Also, FWIW, three of my kids are doing courses through these providers now, and all three prefer Sophia.org to SDC, although they don't mind the latter. None of mine have used SL.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • TwinMom
I just personally couldn't stand Straighterline. Some people here love them and hate SDC and that's fine, but if you're going to do like 20 classes with one or the other you will do them much faster with SDC because of the fill-in and the app. I have done plenty of courses at lunch or in line at the bank or whatever with Study.com and you just can't do that anywhere else. It's also really nice to log and and find out the class you need is already 2/3's completed because you did other classes in the same area previously. You don't get that anywhere else either.

That's not even going into the amount of UL credit Study.com has, or how many hundreds of courses they offer for credit. I just am a big advocate of SDC because it lets you do so much stuff so quickly. But if you just need 3 courses to knock out your core classes then it might not be the best place to go. Just depends.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • Muldoon, SteveFoerster
Out of the 3, Study.com is the only one with UL courses, so you're going to have to finish through them no matter what you choose.

I personally would do Sophia for cost/ease for all GE & Free Electives, and then switch to Study.com for Business Core & AOS. That way you make the most of the overlap of courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 310 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 762 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,224 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,289 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 302 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 638 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 896 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 877 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 342 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle