Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age limits and ID?
Good morning,
For Study.com and SOPHIA, is there a minimum age requirement for the college credit option?

And also, during the proctored exam, what proof of ID can you provide if your child doesn’t have a photo id?

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
Your child must have a photo ID to participate in proctored exams. If your child doesn't have a school ID (which might work), you should be able to get them a state ID relatively painlessly. They should be about $20. A passport would cost more, but would possibly have more utility in the long run. There is no way around the photo ID requirement. Everyone taking proctored exams must have at least one.

I don't see any ages specifically mentioned in Sophia's terms: https://www.sophia.org/terms/ IIRC, they're generally fine with kids aged 13 and up getting credit, so long as parental/guardian permission is received.

Similar with SDC's terms: https://study.com/pages/terms_of_use.html
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • acamp
eta: posting at similar time as above poster. not much different to say...

last I saw, minimum age for sophia is 13 years old. SDC: not sure.

on the photo ID with SDC: https://support.study.com/support/soluti...inal-exams-

sounds like photo is required.
Assuming you don't have religious objections to photo ID and assuming in the US, you can use a non driver's license state ID. I'd recommend you look into the getting state photo ID card, or even get a passport (much longer wait of course). Those can be helpful down the road for jobs.. It's been so long that I don't remember if we uploaded photo id with sophia to set up account or not.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • acamp
Sophia does not require a photo ID. The exams aren't proctored the same way as Study.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • acamp
Sophia does SOMETIMES require photo ID. Such as if the biometric keyboard/typing verification fails, or in some situations seemingly at random.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I think a school ID may also work - as long as it's a photo id. I know homeschoolers who create a school id online (there are services), as long as it's "government-issued" it should work (and for CA homeschools at least, they are considered valid for this purpose, since you're legally a private school if you file correctly, and therefore sanctioned by the state).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
All great responses - thank you. For a homeschooled 14 year old, besides a passport, does anyone know where to get a state-issued photo ID? I’ll also look into the online school ID that you mentioned dfrecore.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
It'll probably depend on your state.

In California, for example, there is no age limit, and you get it at the DMV just like you would your driver's license. It looks just like the drivers license, minus of course the parts that authorize you to actually drive.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • rachel83az
AFAIK, getting a state ID at the DMV (or equivalent) is pretty universal.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Free Homeschool ID: https://www.homeschoolbuyersclub.com/homeschool-id/ (I'm sure there are others).

In my current state of SC, you must be 5yo to get an ID, and it's $15 - you just need to prove who you are and residency. In my previous state of CA, it's $35, same rules.

The good news about the state ID's - if it's the REAL ID, you can use it to fly domestically.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA