Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia vs. Study.com vs. Straighterline?
Which is better Study.com or sophia or straighter line and why?

Feels like study.com has more courses and different ways to learn -- video, reading, quiozzes, and others are more just reading?

Am I right?  I am totally new to this.
I've split your question off into a new thread because it was off topic in the old one. "Better" or "Best" is subjective. It depends on what you're looking for.

Sophia - Cheapest by far. $99/mo. and all the courses you're able to complete during this time. For most mature students, most courses can be completed in a matter of days.

Study.com - $199/mo. for 2 exams per month, up to 3 additional exams available for $70/each. This is where students in this forum get most of their UL credit.

Straighterline - Subscription fee + course purchase fee. They are fairly widely accepted, but only have a few courses that aren't offered at SDC or Sophia. Some students really enjoy their courses, however, and don't mind the additional cost.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • iamspecial
do any teach better than others?
They all teach in slightly different ways. One is not necessarily "better" than the others. It all comes down to personal preference.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I would say it depends on where you're transferring to. Sophia is all one needs for UMPi which is great because it's the cheapest of the 3 and in my experience the easiest. Sophia has the option to read the text or watch videos. Some classes will have 4 different people who created videos and they explain things in a different way which is quite helpful in subjects such as math.
I hated SL, the quizzes were very textbook-specific and hard to find the answers to (and I read the textbook!). Just an all-around bad experience, never finished a course there.

Did only 1 course on Sophia back when it was $329/course, I love their dashboard; very user-friendly. Back then, there were no touchstones (papers) to write even for my UL course (project management was UL at the time). So it was great.

Study.com gives you the option to watch videos OR read the text, and you can have 2 screens open to take the quizzes which is helpful. I think at this point, they are quicker grading papers than Sophia. They also have SO many more courses than everyone else.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • iamspecial
I like SL the best because you could just get 100 percent on the section tests and bomb the final and not care. Sophia was pretty good and really tried to teach you the material and like the previous poster said they used to have an upper-level credit course that was completable in a couple of hours. I tried study.com but the number of quizzes combined with the assignments get a big no from me.

A caveat - I was just trying to get through courses as quickly as possible. So being able to skim a couple chapters and take a test (via Straighterline) was the best for me.
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - in process

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
Study.com only lets you do 5 courses per month. People complain about the volume of quizzes they have, but all those quizzes do help you to learn the material, especially when teaching a tough subject.

Sophia would be the quickest and cheapest if you had 40 hours and you were able to move through courses quickly.

SL uses traditional books however it's impossible to read the book and memorize what is needed for the text, so you end up searching for answers. SL doesn't have a video learning system like Sophia or Study.com.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • iamspecial
Study.com is going to be your best bet in most situations because 1) they have an app, and 2) duplicate material you've done in one course is filled in for all other courses, and 3) they let you pre-test for courses you think you know alot about and it fills in the material you get right on the course you're pre-testing for as well as all other related courses.

Also Study.com has the most course offerings and has more upper level credits than all the other competitors combined.

Straighterline is for people who want to test online but pretend they're in a classroom reading the textbook. Sophia since the change is interesting but I don't think as useful as Study.com for most people, although obviously if you want Sophia courses they're much cheaper than Study.com so there's that.

The app is almost by itself enough reason to go with Study.com though. If you're in line at the grocery store or bank or if you're on the toilet or if you're waiting at the bus stop or whatever, you can be knocking out quizzes the whole time and it's just really hard to beat that.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • iamspecial
Everyone has their own learning style and time commitment... It really depends on the student and how they do things. For me, I took the most courses from StraighterLine as that learning system was most commonly available at the time for cheaper. Sophia.org/Study.com was slightly more expensive at the time and so, my bulk of alternative credits came from SL.

When Study.com came out with discounts/referrals and Sophia.org dropped their pricing from $329/course to $99/month all you can take, my recommendation now has changed to Sophia.org for lower-level credit and Study.com for upper-level credit, skipping StraighterLine altogether. Unless you have some courses that are not available at Sophia.org, then take it at Study.com
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • iamspecial

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,207 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 78 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,280 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,471 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,610 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,789 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,862 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux