Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Source for Online RA Credit?(Outlier.org)
(01-28-2021, 08:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 05:43 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 03:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 02:47 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I think I learned more from the comments than from the actual article! It's interesting how many people still think the internet is a terrible way to learn when so many B&M classes are just glorified computer labs anyway. You bring your computer in, you take notes on the computer while you watch the professor give a lecture, you leave. How is that different from a prerecorded lecture? Aside from the delay in getting questions answered; but how many students even bother/remember to ask questions during the lecture itself?

I guess extreme extroverts simply can't understand being able to learn while NOT surrounded by a seething mass of fellow students.

I can't tell you how many courses I've taken at a b&m college where the professor literally spent 45 or 50 minutes reading the textbook to us! What a freaking waste of time! I learned to read as a young child. I don't need someone to read the book to me. Definitely not someone I have to pay thousands of dollars for. There was no point in attending those classes either. 

I actually took a course like that at NYU. It was insane. Every class, he'd just go around the room making us take turns reading out loud from the textbook. And since the class was International Economics, you can imagine how scintillating those 3 hours were twice a week.

Oh I get it! I had a financial accounting professor and a macroeconomics professor do this. Both were monotone. Nothing like trying to make either one a little exciting. Aren't you glad you paid NYU tuition to be read to? LOL

WE HAD TO DO ALL THE READING!!!  Big Grin So we just read to each other, and he taught us nothing. We just wrote papers.
(01-28-2021, 09:03 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 08:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 05:43 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 03:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 02:47 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I think I learned more from the comments than from the actual article! It's interesting how many people still think the internet is a terrible way to learn when so many B&M classes are just glorified computer labs anyway. You bring your computer in, you take notes on the computer while you watch the professor give a lecture, you leave. How is that different from a prerecorded lecture? Aside from the delay in getting questions answered; but how many students even bother/remember to ask questions during the lecture itself?

I guess extreme extroverts simply can't understand being able to learn while NOT surrounded by a seething mass of fellow students.

I can't tell you how many courses I've taken at a b&m college where the professor literally spent 45 or 50 minutes reading the textbook to us! What a freaking waste of time! I learned to read as a young child. I don't need someone to read the book to me. Definitely not someone I have to pay thousands of dollars for. There was no point in attending those classes either. 

I actually took a course like that at NYU. It was insane. Every class, he'd just go around the room making us take turns reading out loud from the textbook. And since the class was International Economics, you can imagine how scintillating those 3 hours were twice a week.

Oh I get it! I had a financial accounting professor and a macroeconomics professor do this. Both were monotone. Nothing like trying to make either one a little exciting. Aren't you glad you paid NYU tuition to be read to? LOL

WE HAD TO DO ALL THE READING!!!  Big Grin So we just read to each other, and he taught us nothing. We just wrote papers.

That's even better! So glad you all paid for that class. Unbelievable. And he's probably some highly regarded professor. Why? No one knows.
A short interview with Anjuli Gupta, Head of Partnerships at Outlier.com
3 Questions for Anjuli Gupta, Head Of Partnerships at Outlier.org | Learning Innovation (insidehighered.com)
(04-07-2021, 01:18 PM)Alpha Wrote: A short interview with Anjuli Gupta, Head of Partnerships at Outlier.com
3 Questions for Anjuli Gupta, Head Of Partnerships at Outlier.org | Learning Innovation (insidehighered.com)
"provide a high-quality, affordable and flexible option for each of the 20 to 30 largest introductory college courses."

Glad to see they have plans to continue expanding their catalog.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Interesting update is that outlier.org is now also listed on ACE:

https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...0d3a378a3a
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • jch, Pikachu
(04-19-2021, 05:20 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Interesting update is that outlier.org is now also listed on ACE:

https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...0d3a378a3a

kinda pointless since a student gets transcript from RA school as well
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
Just heard from someone in another group about the Outlier Psych course. They were not pleased with the quality of the course, and then trying to take the midterms through a live proctoring service was a major issue. The student finally had to drop the course for a "W" just to get out of it because he could NOT get the proctoring service to work after hours trying. Outlier admitted it was an issue but don't seem to be super concerned with fixing it.

Same group, another person had major issues with the Stats course. They were very unhappy with it. Can't remember the details, but this is the 2nd person who said they will not be taking another Outlier course.

It's a bummer.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu
I remember reading this horror story about Examity, and vowed to never take a course that used them. Not only are they sketchy, but there's no way I am giving full remote access to my computer to a random stranger on the other side of the world. NOPE.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/29/21232...-education
[-] The following 3 users Like monchevy's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az, TINASAM
(04-20-2021, 10:30 AM)monchevy Wrote: I remember reading this horror story about Examity, and vowed to never take a course that used them. Not only are they sketchy, but there's no way I am giving full remote access to my computer to a random stranger on the other side of the world. NOPE.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/29/21232...-education

If I had to do this, I'd probably just get a cheap computer specifically for this reason. Or use one of my kids' computers.

My kids have their own laptop computers, and they have nothing personal on them at all - nothing that requires a password or any personal data, except school-related things.  If they want to purchase something, they can use my computer for it.  They use a password that's for that computer only, and everything else has a different password (like their bank accounts).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If anyone is still interested in taking an Outlier class after all this, I just got an email from them that you can now pay $23/mo for 18 months instead of $400 all at once.

IMO, it'd be better to save up and do ONU or TEL instead.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any online colleges with recorded or live video lectures? whiverem 15 968 11-17-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: whiverem
  Other Brick and Mortar Public Univ's that Accept ACE Credit cdrob44 18 2,366 09-06-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Liberty University Online Degree plan LevelUP 3 1,157 06-15-2023, 05:47 PM
  What are the best online colleges? whiverem 10 1,175 05-23-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of North Alabama online BBA ReyMysterioso 2 774 05-15-2023, 02:45 AM
  Purdue Global Masters in IT -- certification credit walruspanda 3 946 04-18-2023, 12:53 AM
  Self-paced online that uses physical textbooks? pluggingalong 6 1,126 03-10-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Age 55 and older discounts for online college? pluggingalong 4 795 03-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online Web Development degrees pluggingalong 11 1,390 02-28-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Drexel University - Certificate in Leadership ($199 Online) w/Certificate attached Life Long Learning 23 4,325 01-10-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent