Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South College announces competency-based DBA
I have been accepted into the DBA Organizational Leadership program

For those who are paying themselves, you may find this of interest from the financial office. I will be paying myself cash so this is nice.

"Students that are electing to pay for their program in full with cash, please reply to this email letting me know what payment option you would prefer. We offer 1,2, or 3 payments within each term. Students that select 3 payments within each pod are required to complete an automatic payment form and have their payments automatically deducted."
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cerich67's post:
  • bmac66
Update, and yeah, I am pissed.

So, prior to applying I had called their fiance office and confirmed that the SC military grant would apply. I was told and assured it did.

Got an email that they are not going to apply it. Checked with Dr Patrick who confirmed "there is no military grant due to the low price of the tuition model. The only grant is for current K12 or higher education employees."

If they had said that up front, I wouldn't be upset, but finding out after I enrolled having been told it would, and even buying textbook for first class REALLY pisses me off.

I am strongly reconsidering the program, while the bean counters aren't the academic staff, corporate culture tends to be reflected across departments. If so, it could be detrimental to doing the program.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
Ouch, for the price, South College is still one of the front runners for my list of programs. Hopefully they're more transparent and admit their mistake, I'll continue to see how this ends up... You may just want to email them and see if there are "other" discounts such as awards, bursaries, scholarships, or whatever else there is for this particular degree program.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cerich67
Well, cooled down, had a good talk with Dr Patrick and will be going forward with.

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 2 users Like cerich67's post:
  • allvia, bmac66
(07-07-2022, 08:29 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 12:23 AM)cerich67 Wrote: They're using already collected data. 

This is not uncommon. Data are just that: data. One might use extant data to conduct new analyses, to test existing theory, etc.
Quote:I've written far more pages than a dissertation in the last year so I will never understand why it takes 2 years to write one.

Because it is much more than just the number of pages. The writing is more complex, more analytical, more global, than a set of term papers that, collectively, are the same length. Plus there's the review process--back and forth with one's advisor and then the university. Or one might have to go out and collect more data, or answer question not anticipated in the proposal. There are myriad reasons for the dissertation to take longer than expected.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sagan's post:
  • cerich67
(08-07-2022, 08:17 PM)Sagan Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 08:29 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 12:23 AM)cerich67 Wrote: They're using already collected data. 

This is not uncommon. Data are just that: data. One might use extant data to conduct new analyses, to test existing theory, etc.
Quote:I've written far more pages than a dissertation in the last year so I will never understand why it takes 2 years to write one.

Because it is much more than just the number of pages. The writing is more complex, more analytical, more global, than a set of term papers that, collectively, are the same length. Plus there's the review process--back and forth with one's advisor and then the university. Or one might have to go out and collect more data, or answer question not anticipated in the proposal. There are myriad reasons for the dissertation to take longer than expected.

Stop acting like you know what I've written and researched. You couldn't be anymore wrong by saying "a set of term papers that, collectively, are the same length".
Regular class papers are usually just literature reviews. You're summarizing other people's work. Dissertations require you to design an original study whether you're using existing data or collecting your own data. Quantitative studies can involve analyzing multiple variables using thousands to millions of data. Experiments can take months to years to complete. Qualitative studies can require coding long interview responses from dozens of people, which can be an arduous task. Some dissertation studies are so big and complex, people have to hire assistants.

Your committee will continue to send your work back if it's not right. What comes out of your dissertation should be able to pass the peer review process for an academic journal. Generally, papers written in grad school are not publishable quality.

There's a ghostwriter who pumps out dissertations left and right for students at for-profit universities and schools like Liberty because, according to him, their standards are pretty low.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Pikachu, Sagan
(08-08-2022, 11:36 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Stop acting like you know what I've written and researched. You couldn't be anymore wrong by saying "a set of term papers that, collectively, are the same length".

I only know what you shared.
(08-08-2022, 02:39 PM)Sagan Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 11:36 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Stop acting like you know what I've written and researched. You couldn't be anymore wrong by saying "a set of term papers that, collectively, are the same length".

I only know what you shared.

You're the one who mentioned "a set of term papers". No one else. Personally, I haven't written a term paper since high school.

(08-08-2022, 02:02 PM)sanantone Wrote: Regular class papers are usually just literature reviews. You're summarizing other people's work. Dissertations require you to design an original study whether you're using existing data or collecting your own data. Quantitative studies can involve analyzing multiple variables using thousands to millions of data. Experiments can take months to years to complete. Qualitative studies can require coding long interview responses from dozens of people, which can be an arduous task. Some dissertation studies are so big and complex, people have to hire assistants.

Your committee will continue to send your work back if it's not right. What comes out of your dissertation should be able to pass the peer review process for an academic journal. Generally, papers written in grad school are not publishable quality.

There's a ghostwriter who pumps out dissertations left and right for students at for-profit universities and schools like Liberty because, according to him, their standards are pretty low.

Not always. Many students conduct research as undergrads and assist grad students with their research. Everything in your first paragraph I experienced as an undergrad. 

That ghostwriter isn't cool.
(08-08-2022, 10:37 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You're the one who mentioned "a set of term papers". No one else. Personally, I haven't written a term paper since high school.
If you ever do a doctorate, please let this forum know so that we may enjoy reading your research.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Edgewood College/UpGrad DBA; potentially $11,250 freeloader 77 8,553 04-12-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: lidel
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 12 827 04-06-2024, 08:20 AM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Competency-Based EdD at South College sanantone 39 11,272 04-03-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: maguirewj
Photo Mexico San Miguel PhD and Poland Jagiellonian College DBA NOT WES! Jack Ma 37 4,666 02-18-2024, 07:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Video from South College about CBE Doctorates NotJoeBiden 0 300 02-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Cost of South College DBA program? EducationSeeker 16 2,806 08-09-2023, 08:01 PM
  South College - EdD Program jb0433 19 4,253 03-01-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: cc95
  South College DBA Invitian Code? maxxor6868 0 569 02-06-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868
  South College - DBA him22 2 1,150 02-03-2023, 12:56 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868
  South Eastern Doctor of Education - 2 concentrations, 54 Credits, $27K bjcheung77 0 904 01-27-2022, 08:45 PM