Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spanish Clep 12 Credits??
I just had (2 days ago) an evaluation done by TESU for my Spanish Clep Test that I took in 2003. I scored a 75 on that test (no writing).

TESU just gave me 12 Credits

SPA101
SPA102
SPA201
SPA202

Is anyone else getting 12 credits for the most recent Spanish Clep test? What are you getting? Plus score of test?
In progress:
TESU or UMPI

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG CIS AOS
Bergen Community College - AS BA
Sophia - 15 Courses, InstantCert - 7 Courses, Study.com 1 Course
Coursera -  Google Digital Marketing
Coursera - Google IT Professional Certificate
Coursera - Project Management
CSMLEARN
Clep -  Spanish, CIS, Analyzing Lit
(03-10-2021, 02:47 PM)splirow Wrote: I just had (2 days ago) an evaluation done by TESU for my Spanish Clep Test that I took in 2003. I scored a 75 on that test (no writing).

SPA101
SPA102
SPA201
SPA202

Is anyone else getting 12 credits for the most recent Spanish Clep test? What are you getting? Plus score of test?

TESU goes by ACE for this, so back in '03, a score of 63 or above was worth 12cr (and 50+ was worth 6cr).  Since 3/1/2015, it's only worth 6 or 9cr for same scores.

CLEP has added the Spanish w/Writing exam, which is worth 6cr for a score of 50+ and 12cr for a score of 65+.

ACTFL has 4 exams you can take (Oral, Written, Listening & Reading), and some can get you UL credits as well - worth doing if you're fluent and getting a degree where you need UL credit in the humanities.  Cheap and you can do them from home.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-10-2021, 02:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 02:47 PM)splirow Wrote: I just had (2 days ago) an evaluation done by TESU for my Spanish Clep Test that I took in 2003. I scored a 75 on that test (no writing).

SPA101
SPA102
SPA201
SPA202

TESU goes by ACE for this, so back in '03, a score of 63 or above was worth 12cr (and 50+ was worth 6cr).  Since 3/1/2015, it's only worth 6 or 9cr for same scores.

CLEP has added the Spanish w/Writing exam, which is worth 6cr for a score of 50+ and 12cr for a score of 65+.

ACTFL has 4 exams you can take (Oral, Written, Listening & Reading), and some can get you UL credits as well - worth doing if you're fluent and getting a degree where you need UL credit in the humanities.  Cheap and you can do them from home.

Yeah.. I also heard that the CLEP credits you get are different than the ACTFL. So possibility of getting 32 Credits+ is crazy especially if someone is fluent.
In progress:
TESU or UMPI

Completed:
CSMLEARN
That's right, pretty much what I mentioned in a PM to you... And in addition to the PM and message above, if someone was fluent in French and Spanish, they can just get the CLEP/ACTFL for both and the ENTIRE UL requirements and LL AOS would be completed in a couple of "swoops". I mean, the cost for ACTFL is nominal, and the CLEP/MS combo is free if you can find a test center that's still open...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-10-2021, 03:31 PM)splirow Wrote:

SPA101
SPA102
SPA201
SPA202

Yeah.. I also heard that the CLEP credits you get are different than the ACTFL. So possibility of getting 32 Credits+ is crazy especially if someone is fluent.

I do know that the Spanish Language CLEP does not overlap with any of the 4 ACTFL exams.  But I'm not sure what the Spanish w/Writing CLEP comes in as - nobody has taken it and reported back.

If you scored the highest level for all 4 ACTFL exams, you'd actually get 24cr LL + 12cr UL, add that to your 12cr for the CLEP, and you'd have 36r LL + 12cr UL = 48cr.  For someone who was getting a BALS at TESU, that would be all of Knowledge of Human Cultures + 9cr GE Electives; 12cr of UL AoS; and 15cr of LL AoS.

That's 40% of a degree, and practically the most important parts of the degree.

I do wonder if COSC and EC follow ACE for these as well.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-10-2021, 06:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

SPA101
SPA102
SPA201
SPA202

I do know that the Spanish Language CLEP does not overlap with any of the 4 ACTFL exams.  But I'm not sure what the Spanish w/Writing CLEP comes in as - nobody has taken it and reported back.

If you scored the highest level for all 4 ACTFL exams, you'd actually get 24cr LL + 12cr UL, add that to your 12cr for the CLEP, and you'd have 36r LL + 12cr UL = 48cr.  For someone who was getting a BALS at TESU, that would be all of Knowledge of Human Cultures + 9cr GE Electives; 12cr of UL AoS; and 15cr of LL AoS.

Well my wife will do all next week. We live in Texas and test centers are open here. I will report back here. She is super fluent in Spanish. So its safe to assume highest score possible.
In progress:
TESU or UMPI

Completed:
CSMLEARN
[-] The following 1 user Likes splirow's post:
  • Zardoz
I will take the opportunity to ask in this thread about the NYU Foreign Language Proficiency Tests, that according to the website, you can take a 16-point spanish proficiency test (which according to the description, transfer as 16 credits). Does anyone know if this credits are considered by TESU as RA credits?
(03-10-2021, 07:37 PM)splirow Wrote: Well my wife will do all next week. We live in Texas and test centers are open here. I will report back here. She is super fluent in Spanish. So its safe to assume highest score possible.

I found dfrecore's comments on ACTFL credits stacking with CLEP intriguing. Prior to this thread, I hadn't quite realized the sheer number of credits you could farm using this one weird trick. 

Since I happen to have a couple of languages under my belt, I decided to take the plunge and take an ACTFL LPT, just for kicks. I picked the LPT because it's cheap and short (~1 hour). The cost is nominal, really, so I figured, what the heck, why not.

The LPT I took had a total of 25 listening tasks, starting with basic dialogue enunciated slowly and clearly, with simple multiple-choice comprehension questions. Still, you only get one chance to listen to each clip, so you have to listen carefully and take notes. The difficulty of the listening tasks gradually increased, ascending through intermediate level up to advanced and above. 

The last half dozen or so were pretty challenging, I have to say. The tasks dealt with academic topics of a cultural, literary or scientific nature. Only a well-educated and focused native or near-native speaker would be able to nail the comprehension questions. The "superior" level tasks have tricky questions with curve-ball answers that demand quite a bit of interpretation, interpolation and inference.

So, definitely doable, but not exactly a shoo-in either- even if you're truly fluent. 

Prepare her for it to be a somewhat challenging week, is my advice.
(03-14-2021, 05:50 PM)Zardoz Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 07:37 PM)splirow Wrote: Well my wife will do all next week. We live in Texas and test centers are open here. I will report back here. She is super fluent in Spanish. So its safe to assume highest score possible.

I found dfrecore's comments on ACTFL credits stacking with CLEP intriguing. Prior to this thread, I hadn't quite realized the sheer number of credits you could farm using this one weird trick. 

Since I happen to have a couple of languages under my belt, I decided to take the plunge and take an ACTFL LPT, just for kicks. I picked the LPT because it's cheap and short (~1 hour). The cost is nominal, really, so I figured, what the heck, why not.

The LPT I took had a total of 25 listening tasks, starting with basic dialogue enunciated slowly and clearly, with simple multiple-choice comprehension questions. Still, you only get one chance to listen to each clip, so you have to listen carefully and take notes. The difficulty of the listening tasks gradually increased, ascending through intermediate level up to advanced and above. 

The last half dozen or so were pretty challenging, I have to say. The tasks dealt with academic topics of a cultural, literary or scientific nature. Only a well-educated and focused native or near-native speaker would be able to nail the comprehension questions. The "superior" level tasks have tricky questions with curve-ball answers that demand quite a bit of interpretation, interpolation and inference.

So, definitely doable, but not exactly a shoo-in either- even if you're truly fluent. 

Prepare her for it to be a somewhat challenging week, is my advice.

Thanks for reporting back on what to expect.  I don't think anyone has gone into detail here about that.  I would say that in order to score near perfect, you would have to be completely fluent, as in that language is your first or you've studied many years - or have lived in that country - to be able to get the highest scores.  Luckily, even if you don't score all the way at the top, you can still get credits (even UL) for lower scores.

I've also heard that the Spanish Language CLEP exam is difficult because the quality of the recording is difficult to hear.  Surprisingly, the same has not been said about the German or French CLEP exams.  You'd think they'd be able to fix the Spanish problem easily (it's been complained about for MANY years).

(03-10-2021, 07:37 PM)splirow Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 06:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

SPA101
SPA102
SPA201
SPA202

Well my wife will do all next week. We live in Texas and test centers are open here. I will report back here. She is super fluent in Spanish. So its safe to assume highest score possible.

The ACTFL exams are done from home.  So no testing centers to deal with.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 240 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 470 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  A&I CLEP not counted in 90cr limit Murdockb 1 248 01-18-2024, 11:57 AM
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 498 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 792 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 433 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  Competency based certifications for Electronics and Nuclear credits? sciencemathematics1 5 493 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 322 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic