Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speech credit
(08-21-2018, 10:47 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 10:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I can give you a reason that the Public Speaking TECEP is a decent option:

● Test format:
   o 20 multiple choice questions (20%)
   o 4 short answer questions (20%)
   o 2 pre-recorded presentations (7-10 minutes each) (60%)
● Passing score: 70%. Your grade will be reported as CR (credit) or NC (no credit).
● Time limit: 2 hours for written and multiple choice portion. 2 pre-recorded presentations of 7-10 minutes each.

You will need to create and submit two (2) recorded speeches with visual aids (PowerPoint/Presentation Software Slides) before taking the online portion of the exam.

It's kind of the best of both worlds - a test, so you get it over and done with on one day, and the ability to do your speeches ahead of time.  Still shorter than a course.

Also, as someone who has taken a bunch of TECEP's, I think their Exam Guides are VERY thorough, and have actually gotten better over the last few months.  Lots of links to free prep as well.

And at $75 for LL TECEP exams, the price is right too.

https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep_desc/COM-209.pdf

I've never heard anything terrible about SL or Study.com for this either, so it's just a matter of choice at this point.
Can a TECEP transfer to CC tho? 
Example: My gf has decided to become a nurse, she’s just starting, she wants (and needs) to do science prerequisites at NMJC in a few months. Will NMJC tell her that she needs accuplacer, CLEP or a CC class?

You'd have to ask NMJC if they'd expect it.  I know they are very affordable for credits to transfer out and into the Big 3, but I'm not sure how they are about transferring in alternative credits into them.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

For the oral comm requirement, has anyone been given credit for this through prior courses taken or is fulfilling this requirement somewhere pretty much a necessity?
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(08-23-2018, 08:06 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: For the oral comm requirement, has anyone been given credit for this through prior courses taken or is fulfilling this requirement somewhere pretty much a necessity?

Depends on the school.  TESU requires the course, but I guess you could do a PLA for it (not the best plan considering the price of the courses is cheap).  COSC will let you prove that you have experience, not sure of the details, but I've seen multiple people here get that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-23-2018, 09:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 08:06 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: For the oral comm requirement, has anyone been given credit for this through prior courses taken or is fulfilling this requirement somewhere pretty much a necessity?

Depends on the school.  TESU requires the course, but I guess you could do a PLA for it (not the best plan considering the price of the courses is cheap).  COSC will let you prove that you have experience, not sure of the details, but I've seen multiple people here get that.

I applied to TESU and have 3 English courses to be evaluated, so I am wondering where they will come back as, possibly in composition I/II I am thinking.  

I guess I should probably just start on this course then since I am most likely not going to get any credit for it and not going to bother with a PLA.
Credits:
(08-21-2018, 09:59 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Favorite oral communications / speech credit?  Straighterline? Study?  DSST?

DSST was very easy
For TESU specifically, Study.com's  "Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace" came into my BALS evaluation as my oral communications requirement, transcribing to "COM-290: Presentational Speaking".  This was in February of this year.  

This class has 27 quizzes, a proctored final, and no speech requirement.  I took it knowing it might not fill the slot, but that I could use it in my electives.  Very glad that it did. Just NCCRS, not ACE recommended, if that matters to you.  

I hate ever saying a class was easy, but for me this one definitely was. It combines common sense with useful info about giving business presentations.
TESU: BALS Capstone
SNHU CfA: Intro to Ethics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Argumentation & Communication, Intro to Mass Communications, Intro to Philosophy, World Lit I, Environmental Science, Business Communication, Principles of Management, Online Success, Skills for Business 
CLEP: Eng Comp 
Sophia.org: Effective Teams, Managing Conflict, Ancient Greek Philosophers
Study.com: Personal Finance, Presentation Skills, Info Literacy, Intro to Computing, Earth Science, A History of Vietnam War, Intro to Political Science, American Government, Database Management, Info Systems, Physical Geology
CSM Learn: The CSM Course
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 
Shmoop: History of Technology, Human Sexuality, U.S. History I & II, Classical Lit, The Bible as Lit, Psychology 101, Shakespeare's Plays, Professional Writing, Media Literacy, Journalism 101, Lit in the Media, Intro to E-Commerce
The Institutes: Ethics
TECEP: Computer Concepts and Applications
ALEKS: College Algebra
[-] The following 6 users Like badooble's post:
  • cookderosa, jeremiah_jn, katelynn, mysonx3, shadowgem, silentstorm
I had it filled by prior credits. Granted it was credits taken from my JST.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

I have done presentations/speeches in previous courses, so I am not sure how WES/TESU will even be able to evaluate that properly or not.

I haven't solely had a course dedicated to it, so maybe I will need to end up taking it.
Credits:
(08-23-2018, 09:26 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I had it filled by prior credits. Granted it was credits taken from my JST.

Which course specifically?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Oral communication/ speech. On my JST it's called Public Communication

In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 934 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 475 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 668 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 814 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,771 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,491 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TADA credit NapoleonInRags 16 1,826 05-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACE Credit Recommended Professional Cook Certification lumina 5 1,018 01-26-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: bellbaby
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 923 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Education and alternative credit platforms Londinium7 0 611 10-31-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Londinium7