Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed/Ease of completion - SL vs SDC vs Penn Foster
This one's fresh for me so I'll share my experience. I have experience with SDC, SL, Davar, and Saylor. Saylor is, of course, the cheapest. SDC/SL/Davar are different price structures, but almost boil down to the same. My preferred format is SDC for ease of knocking out courses. At least, for the LL courses. I've had a bumpy experience, to say the least, with their UL courses as I've found that the assignment requirements and rubrics play a game with students and it can be very frustrating to spend a lot of time researching, preparing, and writing a research paper only to find AFTER the fact that you didn't curtsy quite like they like.

I've had A product papers be graded B- and C+. Now, just so that we're clear, I got an A+ in my Cornerstone Seminar online course with COSC, and I've had As with all my Davar papers, as well. The problem lies in SDC's structural inability to properly and adequately communicate all requirements for these papers with the student. Feedback is vital BEFORE you write the paper, not after. Yes, they offer an "Instant Answer" feature for students with subject matter questions, but what they don't tell you is that you really need to be very proactive in using it BEFORE you engage in any of these assignments, because you will be surprised to find that the assignment requirements and rubric DON'T actually cover everything their looking for and will grade you on. It's up to you to be very creative and inquisitive about the myriad of possibilities that they might consider "important" content on the final assignment product - they won't tell you this, so I'm telling you (*if anybody's interested I can share my detailed response complaining to SDC on this matter).

I've already registered my complaint (lol) with SDC support and via response to my graded assignment. Of course, I'm not very optimistic it means anything to them, so I decided to "vent" here (lol), because at least here I might be able to save somebody from the heartache I've gone through (lol). Trust me, you wouldn't be laughing either if after all that hard work you submit what to your estimation is an A+ product, but end up getting a B- for your effort. I have resigned myself to getting Bs with both of my SDC UL courses: Business 303 and Marketing 303. I have As in all the other LL courses.

So, in summary, I recommend:
SDC for LL courses
Davar for UL courses (Davar gives you the study guides for their courses, which are very helpful, and you also get pretty good feedback from them and I've had no problems with the research papers/assignments I've had to write for them - all As.)
[-] The following 2 users Like vpassenheim's post:
  • kevie, TopHatWombat
Keep in mind that you are able to revise your Study.com papers as much as you like (at least 3 times anyway) based on feedback from the grader, so getting an A (93% or better) on every paper is easy if you keep revising until you get to the grade you want.

I completed 20 courses with SDC and earned an average of 97% in those classes; most of my papers came in at 95% or higher. I had trouble with some of the first courses I took with SDC (writing courses) and found that I needed to resubmit them after feedback to score well. I felt like the graders were being inconsistent and not following what was asked. However, that was not the case.

Basically, the graders are looking at the rubric as the only measure of what good looks like, so if you follow the rubric exactly, you will usually score high. Early on I was using my own interpretation of what good looks like, but this resulted in a lower score. Once I started following the rubric to the letter and learning how the graders did their thing, I found more consistency with the grading and a higher overall score on each paper.

That is my experience anyway.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • kevie, TopHatWombat
(03-08-2019, 04:18 PM)TopHatWombat Wrote: Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I completed my BSAST (Nuc Eng Tech) at TESC (I mean, "TESU") waaaaaay back in 2004. I mostly followed the old bain4weeks.com plan that was accurate at the time. I took over a dozen CLEP/DANTES exams, and transferred in copious credits from my military training. A few graduate courses at a brick and mortar state university closed some gaps, and voila, I had a degree.  Cool

Fast forward 15 years, and I'm looking to tack on a bunch of credits to my existing TESU transcript via credit banking so that I can qualify to sit for the CPA exam. I met the experience requirement to become a CPA about a decade ago. I work only in tax, via an IRS-issued credential (Enrolled Agent). I don't do income tax preparation, but rather work on higher level, complex business tax matters. I have zero desire to ever work in audit or any other accounting arena.

The desire for a CPA license is purely for personal satisfaction, not professional. In fact, I don't even care about the CPA license itself, I just want to prove to myself that I can pass all four parts of the exam. But in order to sit for the exam, I need to meet the education requirement.

Most of the required business courses I can complete via additional CLEP/DSST exams. I'm fairly confident that I can pass the federal income taxation TECEP and the CSU Global SSA/CBE exam for federal business taxation with almost no study. But this leaves me with 15 semester hours of Upper Level accounting courses that my state will still require.

Based on other threads I've read through here on DegreeForum, some combination of Straighterline, Study.com, and Penn Foster courses will get me across the goal line.

Of the three, which provides the courses that can be completed the fastest?

I am looking at this regardless of cost, and regardless of whether I actually learn anything. I realize this latter statement may be grossly offensive to a lot of people, but given that my objective is merely to qualify to take the CPA exam rather than practice, I believe it to be a reasonable position to take.

Thank you!

If you are looking for pure speed, SDC can't be beat.  You can fly through the quizzes without needing to watch the videos because the answers are provided to all the quizzes.  That is especially helpful when you already know the content, as you clearly do.  Writing the essays for the UL courses is easy enough too.  You don't need a high grade to pass, just make sure you follow the grading rubric and you'll easily get the 57% you need.  It doesn't sound like you need to study, you just need to pass the class.  So for your situation SDC is great.  I completed 8 classes in one month, averaging a B for each one and that included writing several essays.  It's hard work, but once you find your rhythm it's pretty easy.
(03-10-2019, 11:41 PM)ryanaryn Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 04:18 PM)TopHatWombat Wrote: Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I completed my BSAST (Nuc Eng Tech) at TESC (I mean, "TESU") waaaaaay back in 2004. I mostly followed the old bain4weeks.com plan that was accurate at the time. I took over a dozen CLEP/DANTES exams, and transferred in copious credits from my military training. A few graduate courses at a brick and mortar state university closed some gaps, and voila, I had a degree.  Cool

Fast forward 15 years, and I'm looking to tack on a bunch of credits to my existing TESU transcript via credit banking so that I can qualify to sit for the CPA exam. I met the experience requirement to become a CPA about a decade ago. I work only in tax, via an IRS-issued credential (Enrolled Agent). I don't do income tax preparation, but rather work on higher level, complex business tax matters. I have zero desire to ever work in audit or any other accounting arena.

The desire for a CPA license is purely for personal satisfaction, not professional. In fact, I don't even care about the CPA license itself, I just want to prove to myself that I can pass all four parts of the exam. But in order to sit for the exam, I need to meet the education requirement.

Most of the required business courses I can complete via additional CLEP/DSST exams. I'm fairly confident that I can pass the federal income taxation TECEP and the CSU Global SSA/CBE exam for federal business taxation with almost no study. But this leaves me with 15 semester hours of Upper Level accounting courses that my state will still require.

Based on other threads I've read through here on DegreeForum, some combination of Straighterline, Study.com, and Penn Foster courses will get me across the goal line.

Of the three, which provides the courses that can be completed the fastest?

I am looking at this regardless of cost, and regardless of whether I actually learn anything. I realize this latter statement may be grossly offensive to a lot of people, but given that my objective is merely to qualify to take the CPA exam rather than practice, I believe it to be a reasonable position to take.

Thank you!

If you are looking for pure speed, SDC can't be beat.  You can fly through the quizzes without needing to watch the videos because the answers are provided to all the quizzes.  That is especially helpful when you already know the content, as you clearly do.  Writing the essays for the UL courses is easy enough too.  You don't need a high grade to pass, just make sure you follow the grading rubric and you'll easily get the 57% you need.  It doesn't sound like you need to study, you just need to pass the class.  So for your situation SDC is great.  I completed 8 classes in one month, averaging a B for each one and that included writing several essays.  It's hard work, but once you find your rhythm it's pretty easy.

I don't see how taking 100 quizzes is faster than taking one test. Davar and CSU Global require one test. I only spent a couple of hours studying for the Davar exams.

Edit: I forgot that CSU Global now requires a handful of quizzes, and they moved the essay from the exam to a separate assignment. It's still a lot less than SDC.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(03-12-2019, 08:51 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 11:41 PM)ryanaryn Wrote: If you are looking for pure speed, SDC can't be beat.  You can fly through the quizzes without needing to watch the videos because the answers are provided to all the quizzes.  That is especially helpful when you already know the content, as you clearly do.  Writing the essays for the UL courses is easy enough too.  You don't need a high grade to pass, just make sure you follow the grading rubric and you'll easily get the 57% you need.  It doesn't sound like you need to study, you just need to pass the class.  So for your situation SDC is great.  I completed 8 classes in one month, averaging a B for each one and that included writing several essays.  It's hard work, but once you find your rhythm it's pretty easy.

I don't see how taking 100 quizzes is faster than taking one test. Davar and CSU Global require one test. I only spent a couple of hours studying for the Davar exams.

Edit: I forgot that CSU Global now requires a handful of quizzes, and they moved the essay from the exam to a separate assignment. It's still a lot less than SDC.

I agree - a single test is ALWAYS going to be faster than a course (any course).  Now, studying for the test may take a certain amount of time, at which point no one can tell you which would be faster.

But if you know the material and just need to brush up, then a test is the way to go.  This is especially true with an UL exam, which would take 1-3 papers/projects through Study.com.

Not saying that Study.com isn't a good option, but it's certainly not the fastest option in many scenarios.  Anyone who tells you that hasn't taken a test.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • kevie
I hope it's not bad form in these parts to resurrect my own zombie thread.

After 13 full moons (or has it been 14? I haven't taken Astronomy yet), I have returned to finally begin the golden quest.

I signed up yesterday for Study.com, and am staring at Lesson 1 of Accounting 101.

My purpose has slightly changed from the OP. I'm going to take the time to actually learn the material, not just fly through it for the sake of flying through it. I think I may also return to TESU for a 2nd BS, as it appears I will only be a few classes short of that anyway.

I know that there is a thread for providing individual SDC courses, and I will post there as appropriate, but also want to keep this as a personal progress journal, of sort.

OK, let's do this...
In progress: TESU: BS CIS | Coursera: Google IT Support
Completed: TESU: BSAST Nuclear Engineering Technology (2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes TopHatWombat's post:
  • alab21

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,024 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Penn State & ACE Example Learningnow 6 1,071 10-21-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study.com completion time? him22 6 1,393 09-15-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lisarox
  SDC and Completion Date doom 14 1,732 02-04-2022, 01:50 PM
Last Post: doom
  Penn Foster ACE Credits jamshid666 15 2,750 08-27-2021, 02:16 PM
Last Post: gods6monkeys
  onlinedegree.com course difficulty/completion times? studyingfortests 4 1,279 07-10-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Sophia Course Completion Deadline cwendy111 11 1,835 04-24-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: cwendy111
  SDC Plans and speed for Database management StudentOLife 24 2,829 01-14-2021, 06:03 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Sophia Eng Comp I and II Completion Time mrskitty 4 1,292 08-09-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Study.com Completion Dates natshar 2 833 08-06-2020, 08:37 PM
Last Post: natshar