Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting At Capella On Monday
Less than a year ago I had no thoughts of finishing my undergrad. Now thanks to everyone here I have not only finished my BA but have also completed two courses towards an MBA and have now put that on hold to pursue a Masters in Sports Psychology at Capella (which will be more relevant to my career in the short term).

The discussions on this site are fantastic. It's amazing how a seemingly irrelevant discussion can open your eyes to a new possibility.

I aim to share some of my thoughts on the Capella program and their flexpath delivery method as someone like me might find it in a few years and then pursue something they didn't hink possible as I am doing now.

Thank you degreeforum.net!
B.A. Liberal Studies (Completed: 2015) - Thomas Edison State College
My mom recently graduated from Capella. The only negative thing I can say about the program cost. Its certainly on the higher end per credit hour. However, it seems to be a great program! Good luck to you.
Thanks futuremrsmlb, it is good to hear your mom enjoyed it. I am hoping I can progress through the flexpath method quickly to keep the cost down.
mog538 Wrote:Thanks futuremrsmlb, it is good to hear your mom enjoyed it. I am hoping I can progress through the flexpath method quickly to keep the cost down.

How does the flexpath work? I see that it's self paced, 2 classes at once. Do you know the general structure?
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:How does the flexpath work? I see that it's self paced, 2 classes at once. Do you know the general structure?

I am curious too I see they offer a Doctor in Psychology, I was wondering how the programs work/courses, also if you can share/explain the whole mentor thing to me that would help, like is it really necessary for me to find a mentor (e.g a licensed psychiatrist) since that might be extremely hard especially given my current circumstances (in the army).
Mednat - the flexpath allows you to come up with (and adjust as you go through) a plan with your advisor and you can go as quickly as you can. I do not know if you can register for more than 2 courses after discussion with your mentor. My initial aim is to do the first course and see how it goes and then either progress through them as quickly as I can individually or see if doing two at a time will give me more flexibility whilst waiting on work being returned. I will be able to give a bit more information as I start and get through my first few weeks.
Johnjaxs - I am not sure how their doctoral programs work, I do see they don't offer them in flexpath format. I admit I haven't looked into it much so I don't know how many taught classes there are in the doctoral programs. From my reading on the forums I am currently thinking I may look into California Southern University for my doctorate. It certainly seems amongst the cheapest just now (I hope it stays that way when my time comes!).
Hows the degree coming along? I am considering Capella also for their Sport Psycology using the Flexpath. Also military-overseas, using tuition assistance as much as I can. Any updates...tips...advise? Thanks!
May I ask why Sports Psychology? What careers can you pursue with that? It's actually a topic that interests me.
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
The Capella website gives a list of career possibilities, but they're jobs you don't really need a master's for.

https://www.capella.edu/online-degrees/m...-outcomes/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Saylor starting an MBA program?! jch 40 4,525 09-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,520 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Starting my WGU MSML Oct 1st mohelena02 33 5,052 04-06-2023, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Online JD Starting Fall 2023 - 1-week residency sanantone 2 833 12-11-2022, 01:00 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Capella Flexpath Alpha 0 745 06-03-2021, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Capella MEd Flexpath Teaching & Learning - $7200 and up bjcheung77 3 1,777 01-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Last Post: sofinel
  Capella Flexpath MS Psychology I/O lyndsey233 0 878 06-24-2020, 07:50 AM
Last Post: lyndsey233
  Capella or Walden MBA nj593 0 831 05-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Last Post: nj593
Wink Help deciding (MBA) Purdue Global/Walden/Capella? eradreede 13 4,810 04-13-2020, 03:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Capella FlexPath or Walden Tempo reyarl884 13 4,576 11-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Last Post: jsd