Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting TESC
Hopefully in February. First have to be accepted which is just me paying the fee hopefully and then send them my transcripts from Ole Miss and my CCAF. Does anyone know since I have already been in college if I can CLEP or DONTE the English Comp II? I have a few credits from Ole Miss before flunking out, mainly English I and lots of business classes, but I'm going to pursue a Associates in Electronic Engineering. Just wondering since I do not want to take any English or if I should just take it and get it over with. I feel that over 10 years a lot has changed and am hoping to finish my degree with them, something I didn't pursue or take pride in when I was younger.
tsimmns Wrote:Hopefully in February. First have to be accepted which is just me paying the fee hopefully and then send them my transcripts from Ole Miss and my CCAF. Does anyone know since I have already been in college if I can CLEP or DONTE the English Comp II? I have a few credits from Ole Miss before flunking out, mainly English I and lots of business classes, but I'm going to pursue a Associates in Electronic Engineering. Just wondering since I do not want to take any English or if I should just take it and get it over with. I feel that over 10 years a lot has changed and am hoping to finish my degree with them, something I didn't pursue or take pride in when I was younger.

Yes, I believe there is a CLEP that will qualify.
I also know that TESC offers a TECEP credit-by-exam for English Comp II. This would be really inexpensive and quick if you're confident in your writing. I believe you will be asked to write a research paper on the spot with appropriate bibliography after being assigned a topic.

You can also get English Comp II done as a course via Straighterline.com which could be cost-effective.

There may be other sources that I'm not aware of. I ended up just taking English Comp II as a course through TESC, but I would probably have been better served doing one of the options above.
Thanks for the info sodaspeak. I hate writing and was somehow looking for any alternative method, but it looks like there will be writing. Don't know what I was thinking for an English class.
I've you have been out of practice, I STRONGLY SUGGEST you take some English Comp courses, whether through TESC or one of the Independent Study options. Why? Because distance education, lacking face to face time, makes up for it with a heavy writing requirement. You will be writing/typing until your hands fall off and will be required to site references and in specific formats. I took the English CLEP because I never stopped writing and I was able to do well with university level writing, but if you haven't done it in years, you should probably take a course.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prolko I see you must be in contracting with the Air Force? I am in the Air Guard as Avionics and hopefully will complete an Associates with TESC soon. I posted another thread about admissions there that maybe you can shed some light on. If all goes well maybe I can knock this Associates degree out by around summer.
He tsimmns, we may have worked together without knowing it. I used to be an Egress Tech before crossing into contracting.

Have you looked into AU-ABC? There may be another school that can maximize your Avionics courses. If not, TESC was GREAT with accepting my CCAF credits even giving me upper level credit (this was before they changed the rule about CC credit) and I was able to finish quickly.

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Prloko possibly, we always say those Egress guys are crazy for working around explosives. Can you explain a little more about TESC changing the rule for CC credit that you mentioned? I have a ton of Electronics on my CCAF and was hoping a lot of it would transfer over, do they no longer take transcripts from the CCAF or what? I don't actually have my CCAF degree, just lack the speech. But with my Electronic Principles courses and Avionics classes, I'm hoping to need at the maximum around 30 hours. I know I will need:

English Comp II
Psychology or Sociology
Physics I
Physics II
The Capstone Class

That's 15 hours there and hopefully just 2 or 3 other classes for the Associates in Electronic Engineering.

I
In the past, for some courses, TESC would transcribe community college credit as upper level. They did this with my ALS management courses, which they transferred in as upper level managerial communication, they also took my CCAF contracting courses, and transcribed them as upper level operations mgmt courses. A year or two ago, they changed their policy, and will only award lower level credit to credits gained at a community college even if the TESC equivalent course is upper level. I'm not sure if they are giving CCAF special treatment, but since CCAF is a CC, all credits will transcribe as LL. You may want to private message OfficerA as he is currently attending TESC and may shed better light on how they are treating CCAF credit. TESC will accept all CCAF credit, its just a matter of how it fits into your degree plan. I had lots of overage (over 180 credits) due to all my two tech schools/basic/ALS/NCOA credits.

For english comp II, I recommend the TECEP as my wife had taken it and said the TECEP was fairly easy. Search the forum for physics options. I passed the sociology clep with very little study.

PrLoko-isms

Ah I see, well maybe for the Associates I won't have much hassle. I have basic, 3 tech schools, ALS, and some college credits from when I attended the University of Mississippi.
Just as an FYI, the English Composition II (ENC102) exam was revised in October 2014. The exam is not as easy as it once was (one research paper, 4hrs, vers 2005), but still less work and time when compared to a full semester.

I agree with Prloko, is you do not have good writing skills a course would be best.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,161 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Just starting I need help tobyisking 19 3,341 01-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,958 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,294 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,744 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,700 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,150 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,778 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby