Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting TESC & Need Advice for Undergraduate Newbie
I have decided on TESC and will start the process over the next few days; going for a BSBA. I am looking for advice and options for a "newbie".

Working for a fortune 100 company (IT Management), I have plenty of life experience as well as 10+ years of business acumen. My downfall however is no post-secondary education beyond a single C++ programming course. I do have approximately 20 Harvard Mentor courses under my belt, a Cisco networking admin course as well as a few company training classes (business / management).

My employer covers 75% of the tuition expenses and I've had the "when are you going to get your degree" speech ad nauseum. At 39, I should have tackled this long ago ...

What are my options? If you were in my position, what would you do? How do I test out of the general education requirements? PLA (prior learning assessment), what does this give me?

I would like to start with more than 3 credits!
I would recommend going to the TESC website Thomas Edison State College/ Academic Programs and look over the different types of degrees. Do you want to get a Liberal Arts degree or are you interested in Business. How many prior credits do you have? They also have a program where you can get credits for certificates you should look into that and see how many credits they will award you for your C++. If you are definitely set on TESC (you might also want to check out Excelsior) go ahead and submit your application so they can began to process it. I would also recommend picking a CLEP/DSST to begin studying for (possibly Intoductory Sociology?). I am sure you will have this degree in no time you seem to be on the right track. Good Luck!
[SIZE="2"]BSBA Marketing Thomas Edison State College-63/120[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]College Math-66, College Algebra-64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature-67, U.S. History I-66, U.S. History II-61, Information Systems & Computer Applications-59, Biology-61, DSST Introduction to Business-61, Introductory Sociology-65, Introductory Psychology-52, Principles of Microeconomics-54, Principles of Macroeconomics-47, Principles of Marketing-68, Financial Accounting-47, Introductory Business Law-62, Principles of Management-70, DSST Principles of Supervision-64, DSST Organizational Behavior-68, English Literature-61[/SIZE]
I started my Clep/Dantes journey with general education reqs- Literature, Biology, Government, History, more Literature, etc. However, I ended up taking way more gen ed credits than I need for a BSBA at TESC so I would recommend planning your entire degree out before you take anything to avoid wasting money. If you feel more comfortable with the business side than start by taking some of the business exams first. It really doesn't matter which ones you start with, but once you get going you will start to look forward to the next test and getting it all done.

I put off getting started on testing out for 4 years because I didn't think I could do it. Then once I started I wanted to kick myself for waiting so long. Big Grin
As soon as you have enrolled, call and make an advisement appointment. This will allow you to get a program approved from which you can then start looking at your options...testing, PLA, etc.
[SIZE="6"]Pattie[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]CLEP:
[SIZE="1"]English Comp 101 & 102 - Analysis & Interpretation of Literature 130 & 131 - Intro to Marketing[/SIZE]
TECEP:
[SIZE="1"]Marketing Comm - PR Thought & Practice - Intro to News Reporting - Sales Management - Operations Management - Marketing Research - Business in Society[/SIZE]
DSST:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to Computers[/SIZE]
FEMA:
[SIZE="1"]12 FREE Credits![/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Associate of Science in Management, TESC - 9/17/04
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, TESC - 6/6/08

Smile
ultravista Wrote:I have decided on TESC and will start the process over the next few days; going for a BSBA. I am looking for advice and options for a "newbie".

Working for a fortune 100 company (IT Management), I have plenty of life experience as well as 10+ years of business acumen. My downfall however is no post-secondary education beyond a single C++ programming course. I do have approximately 20 Harvard Mentor courses under my belt, a Cisco networking admin course as well as a few company training classes (business / management).

My employer covers 75% of the tuition expenses and I've had the "when are you going to get your degree" speech ad nauseum. At 39, I should have tackled this long ago ...

What are my options? If you were in my position, what would you do? How do I test out of the general education requirements? PLA (prior learning assessment), what does this give me?

I would like to start with more than 3 credits!

What you can start doing today, online, for FREE is start taking FEMA ISP (Independent Study Program) courses and exams. If you search this forum, you will find a number of posts regarding FEMA and TESC. In short, you simply download the course materials (in PDF format) from the FEMA website, take the exam when ready (online, with no proctor!). When you are ready, just have FEMA send a transcript to TESC for all of the courses that you completed (be careful, as TESC will accept most, but not all FEMA courses for credit). The majority of FEMA courses are worth 1 credit each through TESC.

Unless you are enrolled in the Emergency Management degree program at TESC, the FEMA courses will count toward your general and free electives. I believe TESC will accept up to 20 FEMA courses in transfer. Again, check this forum and also contact TESC for a list of acceptable courses.

Note: If you are enrolled at TESC, you do NOT need to have the FEMA credits transcripted by another school. TESC will accept the transcripts directly from FEMA. Do not pay extra money for this!

Good Luck,
Tom
japhy4529, thanks for the FEMA info. I saw "FEMA" on multiple postings (here and elsewhere) and didn't put the two together.

I will be attending TESC for a BS in Business Administration.

To clarify, the FEMA courses will (those accepted) apply towards my ga and electives? I am assuming I can take these at any time or is it best to knock them out beforehand?

The C++ course will give me +3 as well as (fingers crossed) a few of the courses I've taken internally with my organization.

How long do the FEMA courses take? Is it feasible to knock them out quickly?
Check out this link http://www.instantcertonline.com/forums/...light=fema. It is the thread that discusses FEMA in detail.
[SIZE="2"]BSBA Marketing Thomas Edison State College-63/120[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]College Math-66, College Algebra-64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature-67, U.S. History I-66, U.S. History II-61, Information Systems & Computer Applications-59, Biology-61, DSST Introduction to Business-61, Introductory Sociology-65, Introductory Psychology-52, Principles of Microeconomics-54, Principles of Macroeconomics-47, Principles of Marketing-68, Financial Accounting-47, Introductory Business Law-62, Principles of Management-70, DSST Principles of Supervision-64, DSST Organizational Behavior-68, English Literature-61[/SIZE]
Hello...

To answer your question, TESC will only apply FEMA credits to your "Free Electives" in your degree plan. Depending on the degree is how many they will apply. For example, for a Liberal Arts Degree, they will apply up to 27 because it is 27 free electives for this particular degree. For a Business degree, they will only accept 18 for BSBA.

Hope this answers your question.

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
INWE, thanks for the info, very informative.

How many credits were you able to transfer to TESC?
Does TESC document which FEMA courses are accepted towards a BSBA?

I'll get on it, immediately.

That will give me 18 credits, are there other options? How difficult are the CLEP tests and does the intensity vary?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 1,981 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,114 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Degree plan - advice needed please Tripletmom 9 2,105 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  TESU Undergraduate Certificate in Finance Dowew 10 2,700 06-28-2018, 01:24 AM
  Can my friend obtain an undergraduate certificate concurrent to working on a BSBA ? Dowew 3 1,058 06-12-2018, 01:11 AM
  Help! Advice needed! TESU enrollment expiring. Lewis.Yim 15 4,370 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: sheptr
  Looking for advice about finishing my degree needdegree123 20 2,950 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie seeking advice please AJ127 4 1,670 05-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Last Post: AJ127