Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months
Hi! 

I am starting the WGU general MBA in the November term. My goal is to finish within one term. I have learned so much and been encouraged by everyone here, so I thought I'd return the favor by posting. 

A little background, in case you're comparing your situation to mine:

I have a Bachelor's in business (emphasis in Accounting) that I earned from TESU in 2013 thanks to the wisdom in this forum. I was able to earn 2 1/2 years worth of credit (CBE & online courses) in 9 months and finished just before baby #2 was born. Now that she has started kindergarten I get to go back to school! Yay! (Yes, I'm a super nerd.)

I should be able to devote 25-30 hours a week to my studies, less my kids' school holidays and sick days. The school year has started pretty rough, so let's hope for a healthy 6 months.  

For the past 3 years, I have been working as a writer a few hours a week writing blog posts for financial advisors. Between my writing experience, Bachelor's in business, and the fact that I'm a pretty good test taker, I don't think I will have a problem finishing within one term.

Everything is all set to go, now I'm just waiting for October 15 when I can access everything.
[-] The following 7 users Like amilitab4k9's post:
  • alexf.1990, GoodYellowDogs, Jdesign, Kaskadian, Life_One, MSK9, Muldoon
Congratulations on the decision to go back to school. Have you seen this blog post by someone who finished in 4.5 months?

https://felixwong.com/2015/04/how-i-did-...hs-at-wgu/

I've heard its a bear. Good luck!
(09-19-2018, 09:59 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: Congratulations on the decision to go back to school. Have you seen this blog post by someone who finished in 4.5 months?

https://felixwong.com/2015/04/how-i-did-...hs-at-wgu/

I've heard its a bear. Good luck!

Yes, I've done a lot of research on it. I doubt I can beat 4.5 months, but that would be really cool!
I applied recently and was thinking of starting at the same time and doing the same in 1 term.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • Jdesign
(09-20-2018, 03:09 PM)jjsafari Wrote: I applied recently and was thinking of starting at the same time and doing the same in 1 term.

Let me know if you do, we could help push each other along.
[-] The following 1 user Likes amilitab4k9's post:
  • Johmford
Hi!  

Sounds like you've got a solid plan.  With the hours you're planning to put in I bet you can achieve it!

I started the WGU MBA in IT Management on September 1st.  My goal is to complete the program in 8 months, but my stretch goal is to get it done in one term.  I work full time and have to take a break from studying for a few weeks around the holidays.  I've already completed the first three courses and am almost through the fourth.  So a one term finish might be in the cards for me.  We'll see.  

Good luck to you.  Keep us posted on how it's going.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

(09-25-2018, 06:33 PM)Kima Wrote: Hi!  

Sounds like you've got a solid plan.  With the hours you're planning to put in I bet you can achieve it!

I started the WGU MBA in IT Management on September 1st.  My goal is to complete the program in 8 months, but my stretch goal is to get it done in one term.  I work full time and have to take a break from studying for a few weeks around the holidays.  I've already completed the first three courses and am almost through the fourth.  So a one term finish might be in the cards for me.  We'll see.  

I'm also considering the MBA in IT Management. If you don't mind, can you share why you choose that over the MS in IT Management? How do you like it so far? How are the courses structured so far? Mostly written papers or exams or a mix of both?

Thanks. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(09-25-2018, 06:57 PM)Merlin Wrote:

I'm also considering the MBA in IT Management. If you don't mind, can you share why you choose that over the MS in IT Management? How do you like it so far? How are the courses structured so far? Mostly written papers or exams or a mix of both?

Thanks. Smile
Hi Merlin,

So far I'm really enjoying the MBA in IT Management courses (Except for Marketing - blah!).   I went the MBA route instead of the MS route because I'm a bit burnt out in my very technical database architect role.  I want to open up other less technical career options.  Of the four courses I've taken, three have been paper-based and one was test-based.  For the three paper-based courses I've written nearly 100 pages.  

I have no doubt that choosing the MBA program at WGU was absolutely the right choice for me and was one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

I wish you the best of luck making the right choice for you!
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

Sounds like you've got a good pace going. I'll bet you can get it done in one term even taking the holidays off. Keep up the good work!
(09-25-2018, 09:13 PM)Kima Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 06:57 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Thanks. Smile
Hi Merlin,

So far I'm really enjoying the MBA in IT Management courses (Except for Marketing - blah!).   I went the MBA route instead of the MS route because I'm a bit burnt out in my very technical database architect role.  I want to open up other less technical career options.  Of the four courses I've taken, three have been paper-based and one was test-based.  For the three paper-based courses I've written nearly 100 pages.  

I have no doubt that choosing the MBA program at WGU was absolutely the right choice for me and was one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

I wish you the best of luck making the right choice for you!

Merlin / Kima,
I am pretty much in the same boat at Kima  as far as choosing the MBA ITM instead of the MS IT. Someone on this forum, or elsewhere, summed it well - the MS IT is lots of IT classes with a few business classes thrown in, while the MBA ITM is lots of business classes with a few IT classes thrown in. In my career I really don't think another IT class is going to make much difference, but business classes are very helpful. Plus if I ever decide to venture out of IT, an MBA regardless of concentration will be very helpful. 

- AlbinoSmurf
Goal: MBA in IT Management, WGU

AA Information TechnologyUniversity of Phoenix, 2008
BS Business Administration in C.I.S., Thomas Edison State University2018
MBA Information Technology Management, Western Governor's University, In Progress

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest online masters degree under 12 months Sdmj33 30 9,187 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
Question Saylor starting an MBA program?! jch 40 4,490 09-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Starting my WGU MSML Oct 1st mohelena02 33 5,032 04-06-2023, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Online JD Starting Fall 2023 - 1-week residency sanantone 2 831 12-11-2022, 01:00 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Upgrad/SSBM Geneva - Global DBA - 36 months, $11K USD bjcheung77 10 3,093 04-03-2022, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Marian U Wisc MPath Flex: 4-Wk Term Competency Masters, Pay By Sem Hr Jonathan Whatley 5 1,144 03-05-2022, 04:47 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Walden Tempo Learning - June 7, 2021 Start - MBA FREE Term bjcheung77 17 2,823 07-15-2021, 10:09 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Finishing my Bachelors- I have 16 months of my GI Bill Left for a Masters Kerrihoran 2 992 12-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Kerrihoran
  Goal Achieved: 20 Grad. English Credits/Harvard Poetry Series Complete eriehiker 8 2,151 05-30-2019, 10:34 AM
Last Post: ChilliDawg
  Goal Achieved: 18 Graduate Credits/Economics eriehiker 11 3,321 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM
Last Post: eriehiker