Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting school and looking for advice
Hello,

Finally about to bite the bullet and get school completed. I started almost 7 years ago, with not so great grades, and never made it past my freshman year. Now I am in a point with my career where I am capped unless I get a degree.

I have decided I need to get into school, with online being the best option. However numerous other variables are still in the air.

Which school is best?
CLEP, DSST, and other testing programs are attractive as it will reduce the duration and cost of schooling, but how do I know what to take?
I have read about people pursuing MULTIPLE degrees at once through the testing programs, is this practical and achievable by most?

I appreciate the time and assistance.
Each school will have it's pros and cons, you have to decide which school has the degree that fits your goals the best.

Here's a good start to researching how this all works: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Welcome to the forum!

Did you get any credits from that freshman year? If you got at least a D (with a C or above in English Composition) list those courses along with the number of credits ("English Composition I 3," "American History I 5," etc.) Also let us know if they were quarter or semester hours, and if they were from a community college or university.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
dfrecore Wrote:Each school will have it's pros and cons, you have to decide which school has the degree that fits your goals the best.

Here's a good start to researching how this all works: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html

This thread has a bit of outdated advice that isn't applicable anymore.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:This thread has a bit of outdated advice that isn't applicable anymore.

Yes, but it certainly helps to explain how it all works, even knowing that. For someone completely new to the forum, you've got to start somewhere.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Yes, but it certainly helps to explain how it all works, even knowing that. For someone completely new to the forum, you've got to start somewhere.

how about the updated versions on the wiki? Smile

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Unfortunately schools are closed right now for the holidays so I can not request an unofficial transcript.

Off my memory I had a C or better in entry Sociology, History I, History of Music (elective) and entry English.

All are semester hours at a university.
Yay, those will fit into almost any degree. Do you need a BSBA?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Hello,

Finally about to bite the bullet and get school completed. I started almost 7 years ago, with not so great grades, and never made it past my freshman year. Now I am in a point with my career where I am capped unless I get a degree.

Which degree do you need? Or will any degree do? Are you in the career you'll stay in forever, or will this be a career change?

I have decided I need to get into school, with online being the best option. However numerous other variables are still in the air.

What are the variables?

Which school is best?

The one you graduate from. Seriously. There is always the upper 1% and then there is the 99%. Be part of the 99% and be happy.

CLEP, DSST, and other testing programs are attractive as it will reduce the duration and cost of schooling, but how do I know what to take?

You must choose exams that are equivalent to the courses you need for your degree. If you need US History, there's a CLEP for that. If you need underwater basket weaving, there is no CLEP. Plus, you have to make sure the college you choose lets you use CLEP.

I have read about people pursuing MULTIPLE degrees at once through the testing programs, is this practical and achievable by most?

Hummm.....not around these parts. Maybe an associates and then a bachelor's, but double degrees are challenging and can be very expensive.
i would prefer a business degree with a focus in marketing or hospitality (I work in hotel sales)

Cost, time it will take to graduate, and how it will translate in a job interview are high on my list when choosing a school.

At the end of the day I want to get a degree, preferably applicable to the business world, in as quick a time as possible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 698 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,763 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 252 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 681 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,637 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 348 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 462 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 271 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,162 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,767 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM