Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stay Enlisted or go Officer?
creationstory Wrote:seems good, too bad i'm not in the navy. i'm AF, so i'm wondering what is sta-21?

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

Basically, if you're a sh!t hot sailor who can complete a degree in 3 years, the Navy will pay all your tuition and pay you E-5 BAH for you to go get your degree and get commissioned for like 6 years I think. It is a good deal, but really competitive and kind of fixed like I said.
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
JanusthePhoenix Wrote:https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

Basically, if you're a sh!t hot sailor who can complete a degree in 3 years, the Navy will pay all your tuition and pay you E-5 BAH for you to go get your degree and get commissioned for like 6 years I think. It is a good deal, but really competitive and kind of fixed like I said.

This Navy program sounds like the Army's "Green to Gold" program, where we can apply and the Army will pay you E5 pay to include BAH to complete your degree and come back as an Officer. I might be off on the details.

GoArmy.com > Army ROTC > Enlisted Soldiers
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
clep101 Wrote:This Navy program sounds like the Army's "Green to Gold" program, where we can apply and the Army will pay you E5 pay to include BAH to complete your degree and come back as an Officer. I might be off on the details.

GoArmy.com > Army ROTC > Enlisted Soldiers

And the Marine Corps' MECEP program - same deal:

https://www.marines.usmc.mil/G3/Officer/...rement.htm
M.S. University of Wisconsin-Platteville In Progress
M.S. University of Maryland University College 2011
B.S. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 2008

CLEP's passed:
College Mathematics
English Composition (w/o essay)
Information Systems and Computer Applications
Natural Sciences
Social Sciences and History

DSST's passed:
Ethics in America

General Anthropology
I think its a good program I am going to route a request just for the hell of it. Worse they can say is no. I will also have my commanding officer recomendation. Were buddies =p not really.. but he goes out of his way to tell me I am doing a great job.
6 Month Planner
Princples of Marketing
Macroeconomics- Taking online Current grade 88%
Princples of management- Currently studying 1st
College Algebra- 48
Intro To fiction
Intro To Computing- 440/400
Accounting
A&I- PASS! 52/50 Big Grin
Astronomy- Finish class 90%
English Comp- 54 passssss!
Freshman Comp- 56/50 =D
Well since I am a Army NCO Corp demoted from SSG(P) to 2LT thru OCS I will give my opinion.

First thing to note is that you still have to serve 10 years as an officer to retire as one. If you would do say 8 and make MAJ you would still retire as a MSG.

Second OCS sucks!!! It is like basic, PLDC, BNCOC, ANCOC all wrapped into one and they treat you like 1st week basic through most of the course. Many senior NCO's quit OCS because they do not want to be treated like that again? I had serious trouble with that myself! But hey that is how the Army conducts a school to train a Officer in a short period of time. If you go to OCS do not expect to be in charge because you know what is going on? My 1st day of OCS the guy they made Co comander had 9 weeks service time.

Another option you should check into because of your degree is the Public Health Service. They are a unarmed service but follow the same retirement/pay as the military. They are strictly direct commissioned officers, use the Navy rank structure ans as far as I know strictly CONUS. I am looking into this myself as an option?
notaseal,

I wouldn't buy into the whole "fixed" bit for sta 21, I think that is a load of bull. I do agree that as a branch, someone has a better chance of being selected who is closer to their degree completion (personally I would say between 1 and 2 yrs banged out) I don't know how much you know about the program, but keep in mind you have to attach to a NROTC unit and will not do the summer cruises like the other midshipmen. The only reason paygrade may play a role is due to sustained performance (if you haven't heard that yet, big Navy cares a big deal about it) not to mention proving that you are a proven investment (many junior Sailors seem to find trouble easier then saltier senior ones). If you haven't yet, def get your stuff together for fy 10 boards, get your pins if your at a command that can get them (both if on a cvn) and hopefully your evals are great. It is an uphill battle without a doubt, but with the drive I am sure you could get picked up if not fy 10, maybe fy 11 with the added experience and hopefully rank. If you want to see some stats on those selected for fy 09 and those applying for fy 10, check out Airwarriors.com. Keep in mind it is primarily an aviation website, but it has a lot of good gouge. If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM, Good luck.
Chris
~IYAOYAS!

DSSTs
Intro to Law Enforcement 57
Principals of Supervision 53
Organization Behavior 49
Human Resource Management 50
Intro to Business 53
Ethics in America 431
Art of the Western World 50

CLEP
College Mathematics 46

Saint Leo University, BA Criminal Justice Cum Laude (3.83)
Applying for Fall 10 Auburn University MBA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Officer Packet HonuDiver 7 1,344 08-31-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Enlisted to PA not through the military Mattjones 2 1,591 03-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  opinion on officer route? Zachcleigh 10 2,860 12-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  I have my BA however I'm still trying to get my CCAF for my officer packet 05478391 3 1,644 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Officer program Spencebr 16 3,158 12-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Last Post: pstreaV
  Army Aviation Warrant Officer transfer credits? gshelley61 9 6,947 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Last Post: gshelley61
  Pro's of Enlisted over Commissioned? 15%Luck 14 3,414 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  stay or pull out nj593 16 2,803 11-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Last Post: jwilson08
  Joining Navy As An Officer retake 6 2,456 03-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Last Post: LordRayner82
  Commissioned Officer as Proctor? HollyHill 2 1,740 03-31-2009, 12:36 AM
Last Post: JBjunior