Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stay Enlisted or go Officer?
peace123 Wrote:Clep101,

If you do not mind answering these questions.
Did you break your back prior to enlisting or was it after enlisting.
What is a permanent record ?

My youngest son age 15 wants to be in the military, but I have always believed due to the rods in his back he would not be eligible.

Peace123

Sent you a PM.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Does the Army have a Limited Duty Officer program like the Navy? In the last place I worked, nearly every officer from the assistant division O to the Department Head was a LDO. The department head was an O-5, coming up for O-6 when I left, and I believe he had 25 years or so in, all the way from E-1 to E-9 before he started on the officer ranks.
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
JanusthePhoenix Wrote:Does the Army have a Limited Duty Officer program like the Navy?

Nope. The closest thing the Army has are Warrant Officers.
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
clep101 Wrote:Well, as I was reading the OCS application, I discovered that I qualify in everything except in one area. I have to be able to run, and not have a permanent profile. As I have a busted lower back and a permanent profile, I cannot do that. So now, I think I will go Direct Commission route. I have to bust my butt to finish my Masters in Public Health so I can go into the Preventive Medicine field. I talked to the Officers in the field and said that a Masters in Public Health will get me picked up. I'll be doing Occupational Health and Safety type work. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks again for the feed back.

If you're able to pass a commissioning physical, you should be alright.

If you haven't yet, check out armyocs.com. There's a lot of great information on there, plus a few of the moderators are in USAREC and AMEDD as current or former recruiters.
Jesse
HawkGuy Wrote:If you're able to pass a commissioning physical, you should be alright.

If you haven't yet, check out armyocs.com. There's a lot of great information on there, plus a few of the moderators are in USAREC and AMEDD as current or former recruiters.

Thanks, I think I'll check out AMEDD and see what they're requirements are for the field I'm looking at.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
clep101 Wrote:What do you guys think?
I've been in the Army 13 years and will finish my BS this March. I am also getting promoted to E-8 Master Sergeant in the next couple of months.
I have been debating whether or not to apply for Officer Candidate School and get my butter bar. I can apply now and go Officer in the next few months I think, or finish my Masters in Public Health and get a direct commission in a about 1 1/2 years.
What to do, what to do?

Simple, Warrant Officer. Did it after 18 years as an enlisted Soldier. Spend another 19 years as a Warrant, got out as a CW4.
I respect the advice of you guys here, and since this is something I know nothing about I'm really enjoying reading this thread!
Ok, so here is my question- if you were a young man starting over, what route would you take?? If you wanted good job security, respect, and a nice pension- what IS the road to get you there?? And where do degrees fit in to the plan??
cookderosa Wrote:I respect the advice of you guys here, and since this is something I know nothing about I'm really enjoying reading this thread!
Ok, so here is my question- if you were a young man starting over, what route would you take?? If you wanted good job security, respect, and a nice pension- what IS the road to get you there?? And where do degrees fit in to the plan??

If you mean military options only, the route with the highest potential is to get a 4 year degree somehow and apply for OCS in whatever branch and specialization you would prefer. Within that option, the best career choice would be to attend one of the military academies. That's where most of the big wigs came from. I personally would not opt for that one though...that's like 4 years of boot camp/A school. :eek:
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
I've never been in the military nor am I an expert on this subject. I would've thought becoming an officer would be a no brainer, but hearing views from the inside is insightful. I had never heard about the lack of respect thing within the military of officers going through OCS, this is a first for me. However, I believe in the world outside of the military an officer in the armed forces is looked upon with a lot of respect. I personally respect the enlistees too but I know a lot of people who don't feel the same way. My HS friend is a Major or Colonel (I forget) in the Marines and my other HS friend's brother is a Colonel in the Air Force. When they walk into a social event with their uniforms on, they do get a lot of "oohs" and "aahs". Good luck with your decision.
cookderosa Wrote:Ok, so here is my question- if you were a young man starting over, what route would you take?? If you wanted good job security, respect, and a nice pension- what IS the road to get you there?? And where do degrees fit in to the plan??

Knowing what I know now, I would have done better in HS and tried to get accepted into West Point. Failing that, I would have gone to a good school and done ROTC. That way, I'd have come out with no student loans, a degree, and a job for the next 4 years. After several years in the service, I'd apply to a top 20 business school and earn an MBA. After the MBA, I'd follow it up with a 20-30 year career, then use my B-School connections to land a sweet job on the outside to supplement my already sweet pension.

Good job security, check. They can't fire you haha.
Respect, check. Military officers were among the most respected professions in a recent survey.
Nice pension, check. Retire with 20 years in as a MAJ and take home 48k/yr. Put in 30 years retiring as a LTC gets you 121k/yr. After taxes.

Edit: Degrees are important because they get you to where you want to go. You can't be a military officer without a bachelors degree. Most senior officers have masters degrees too. I would recommend a B&M school over online to any young person simply because of the people you meet and the friends you make. A college roommate can becomes a lifelong friend. Online classmates, probably not so much.
Jesse

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Officer Packet HonuDiver 7 1,354 08-31-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Enlisted to PA not through the military Mattjones 2 1,593 03-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  opinion on officer route? Zachcleigh 10 2,871 12-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  I have my BA however I'm still trying to get my CCAF for my officer packet 05478391 3 1,651 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Officer program Spencebr 16 3,163 12-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Last Post: pstreaV
  Army Aviation Warrant Officer transfer credits? gshelley61 9 6,959 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Last Post: gshelley61
  Pro's of Enlisted over Commissioned? 15%Luck 14 3,415 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  stay or pull out nj593 16 2,815 11-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Last Post: jwilson08
  Joining Navy As An Officer retake 6 2,460 03-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Last Post: LordRayner82
  Commissioned Officer as Proctor? HollyHill 2 1,742 03-31-2009, 12:36 AM
Last Post: JBjunior