Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Staying enrolled at TESU
I applied and was accepted in November 2017. My understanding is that I will have to enroll in a TESU course by November 2018 in order to stay enrolled. Does registering for a TECEP serve the same purpose? I have no plans to take a TESU course if at all possible, but I also want to lock in my degree requirements now and not have to apply again.

Second question, if a TECEP serves this purpose, would I then have another year of enrollment from the date that I registered for the exam or the date that I took it? Thanks!
Yes, taking a TECEP works fine for establishing or continuing enrollment for another year. I think the year starts from the date the course term begins.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(07-11-2018, 01:02 PM)monroe18 Wrote: I applied and was accepted in November 2017. My understanding is that I will have to enroll in a TESU course by November 2018 in order to stay enrolled. Does registering for a TECEP serve the same purpose? I have no plans to take a TESU course if at all possible, but I also want to lock in my degree requirements now and not have to apply again.

Second question, if a TECEP serves this purpose, would I then have another year of enrollment from the date that I registered for the exam or the date that I took it? Thanks!

Davewill already answered your questions. However, as a FYI, if you are planning to graduate from TESU with a bachelor's degree (and for many associates degrees as well), you'll have to take a minimum of one 3 credit course at TESU, which is the capstone for the degree itself. There is no way around that. You may also need to take a 1 credit cornerstone course as well if it isn't waived.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • cookderosa
(07-11-2018, 01:50 PM)Merlin Wrote: [quote pid='264602' dateline='1531332138']
Davewill already answered your questions. However, as a FYI, if you are planning to graduate from TESU with a bachelor's degree (and for many associates degrees as well), you'll have to take a minimum of one 3 credit course at TESU, which is the capstone for the degree itself. There is no way around that. You may also need to take a 1 credit cornerstone course as well if it isn't waived.

[/quote]

So the one year would just continue from November, since that is the original term of enrollment? So I would need to register for the TECEP prior to November 2018, then my enrollment would continue through November 2019?

I'm enrolled in the Data Science and Analytics program which currently doesn't have a capstone. One of the reasons I want to stay enrolled, just in case they decide to add one. I also have the Cornerstone course waived.
[-] The following 1 user Likes monroe18's post:
  • Merlin
(07-11-2018, 02:35 PM)monroe18 Wrote: So the one year would just continue from November, since that is the original term of enrollment? So I would need to register for the TECEP prior to November 2018, then my enrollment would continue through November 2019?

I'm pretty sure the extension date would be one year from the beginning of the term in which the TECEP is registered for. So if you register for the November term, then it will renew in November, but if you register for the October term, it will renew next October. Also keep in mind that there is normally a grace period, so if you miss the deadline for November registration you may have 30 more days. Though that may only affect currently enrolled students renewing, not sure if it works the same for applied students.

(07-11-2018, 02:35 PM)monroe18 Wrote: I'm enrolled in the Data Science and Analytics program which currently doesn't have a capstone. One of the reasons I want to stay enrolled, just in case they decide to add one. I also have the Cornerstone course waived.

Ahh, I didn't realize that degree didn't require a capstone. Probably because the bulk of the degree is based on statistics.com material. Then again, I wasn't even 100% sure they carried this degree over since I thought I'd read that they pulled it. But maybe that was just for the grad cert.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I would take a TECEP for one of your gen ed requirements, like Technical Communication if you need speech, or English Comp I or II, or Technical Writing (all fairly easy) or something really easy like Applied Math or Computers.

Don't wait until November, start a bit earlier since you don't want that to end with you thinking you had until the end of the term or something funky. Just sign up, take it, and be done with it. Then remember to do one again next year.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 393 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,002 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,025 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,900 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
  Enrolled by Dec 31 Sparklette 12 2,157 12-16-2022, 10:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,264 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Financial aid for ACE credits ---> TESU? CourtneyBrooke 11 1,355 01-31-2022, 04:36 PM
  "My Valuable, Cheap College Degree" from Athur Brooks, TESU grad now Harvard Prof mahaganapati 10 2,756 12-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 861 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore