Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stock market crash
So my brother, who is a total whiz in math, algorithms, economics etc, sent me an email today that he got out of the stock market altogether. He sold everything today and will watch the coming carnage unfold from the sidelines. He said that this is the big one, the crash that will lead to a 50-70% evaporation of the US markets in the next 1-2 years, coupled with high unemployment rate and everything that follows. So I am passing it on. Don't say you weren't warned.
Hope on the wave and ride it down, then ride it back up.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
Only people that get out of the market altogether miss the crash - but then the rise that follows. If you look at 100 years of history, the stock market has gone up, up, up - with minor downs along the way.

Since I have 25 years before I retire, I'm going to continue to invest, knowing that there will be several up and downs along the way, and I'm fine with that. If I was retiring tomorrow, then maybe I'd pull some out...maybe not.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-05-2019, 09:09 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: So my brother, who is a total whiz in math, algorithms, economics etc, sent me an email today that he got out of the stock market altogether. He sold everything today and will watch the coming carnage unfold from the sidelines. He said that this is the big one, the crash that will lead to a 50-70% evaporation of the US markets in the next 1-2 years, coupled with high unemployment rate and everything that follows. So I am passing it on. Don't say you weren't warned.

If he is a true market whiz and if he believes a bear market is coming then he will be betting on the downside by either going short or buying deep out of the money index option PUTs. There is fear in the market right now but we need to break above January's level on the VIX before I can agree. Right now, after a large down day it goes right back up and recovers the next day. I would be very surprised if there is truly any upcoming "carnage", implied volatility 4 to 6 months out is not signaling that. If your brother turns out to be right then I will be back here kindly asking for his next stock tip.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • ChilliDawg
My brother got burnt with tech stocks in 2000, then learned and improved his analysis. Last time, he got out in August of 2008, so he has some street cred with me, but, then, he was the genius that I admired in my childhood, so I am admittedly biased. He says this time it is different from all of the other years since he started trading in the 1990s, and to ignore all the people who try to keep people calm and to stay in the market if you are in it for the long run (retiring in 20 years +). That this will be a once-in a generation transfer of wealth and it is these days that it is decided how we individually will fare.  I will be happy to return to this thread in 2-4 years from now and either admit a mistake or collectively lick our wounds (because, of course, my husband does not want to listen). I would not listen to a random anonymous homeschooler poster's brother either.
I normally don't listen to any doomsday prophesies, just in general.

If he turns out to be wrong, I'll have lost money that I can never recover by pulling out when it's going up...and if he turns out to be right, I'm diversified, I'm still putting money in for the next 25+ years, there is still other ways to make money during this time...there's not a lot of downside to continuing as I've been doing. I'm going to guess others will feel the same.

Also, I'm not certain what he's saying really. Is he saying it's going to go down, and never recover? Because if that's the case, we'll have much bigger problems than our stock portfolios. That will be the least of our concerns.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • bluebooger, Life_One, Sapientes
Weeeeee, here we gooooo. I saw the bubble, but I had no idea what the pin would be. Now I know. Crazy times.

(some day, we will all ride back up again together).
As long as you don't take all of your money out right now, you'll be fine. My parents and in-laws are counting on their 401(k)'s for income now, and are not worried at all. They are taking out the required minimums, and leaving the rest alone until it goes back up.
(08-05-2019, 09:09 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: So my brother, who is a total whiz in math, algorithms, economics etc, sent me an email today that he got out of the stock market altogether. He sold everything today and will watch the coming carnage unfold from the sidelines. He said that this is the big one, the crash that will lead to a 50-70% evaporation of the US markets in the next 1-2 years, coupled with high unemployment rate and everything that follows. So I am passing it on. Don't say you weren't warned.

your brother is a moron             
now is the time to buy
Now is, but August 2019 wasn't particularly
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Market Research Analysts? Levi 0 641 02-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Levi
  Another Ray of Sunshine In the Job Market! Basket Weaver 4 1,308 12-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Basket Weaver