Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StraighterLine monthly membership is billed automatically—cancel before
(04-04-2019, 06:39 PM)Merlin Wrote: Yep, SL has always been that way. If you're super annoying you can sometimes get them to refund a subscription if you miss the cutoff by a day or two, but 99% of the time it will not work since they have a no refunds policy.

This is why we always recommend that people cancel their SL subscription immediately after they sign up if they don't intend to use it for more than one month. If you cancel immediately all it does is cancel autorenewal... you can still use the subscription through the duration you paid for.

This is also important if you are planning to use a subscription discount coupon; your current subscription must end before you can sign up for a new one with the coupon.

Thanks for the tips!
Hello! Does anyone have a referral code or any sort of discount code for Straighterline? I have seen promos in the past where a free cpurse has beem offered, but am not able to find one presently.

Thanks in advance for any pro tips on this!
(05-31-2019, 10:31 PM)WHOASIS1 Wrote: Hello! Does anyone have a referral code or any sort of discount code for Straighterline? I have seen promos in the past where a free cpurse has beem offered, but am not able to find one presently.

Thanks in advance for any pro tips on this!

Try different codes from this thread, starting on the last page:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-SL-Coupon-Code
Yep, that auto renew got me when i was first starting out. SL is like the gym. They make money when you forget to cancel, but don't use their services. Lol
(06-01-2019, 05:27 PM)saraholson Wrote: Yep, that auto renew got me when i was first starting out. SL is like the gym. They make money when you forget to cancel, but don't use their services. Lol

Really? THAT's how they "make their money?"
They made plenty of money on me- I've sent them thousands of dollars and my family has accumulated hundreds of credits since 2012 and I've never forgotten to cancel.
Auto-renewal is a known tactic businesses use to increase customer retention. They know not everyone will remember to cancel. That's why we get emails about everything under the sun except "reminder: your subscription will renew on X date and you'll be charged X amount". Companies don't send those types of emails because they are hoping we won't remember to cancel.

Here is an article (amongst many) on the subject:https://www.inc.com/andrew-griffiths/how...olicy.html

I have worked in collections for about 15 years and one of the main things companies push is getting people to sign up for autopay or auto-renew. Autopay reduces delinquency and auto-renew keeps membership numbers up. 

It's not insulting to straighterline to indicate that factually, they are choosing auto renew as a path to make more money (like every other business online nowdays). 

Yes, I forgot to cancel the very first month I had a SL sub (2 years ago now) because I didn't realize i could continue using the service if i cancelled in the middle of my membership. I thought it would cut off access. So I waited until what i thought was the last day, but it turns out it was actually one day prior that i should have cancelled. It's an easy mistake to make when you are totally unfamiliar with these providers. I don't think there is any shame in someone forgetting. I also don't think there's any shame in SL having this policy. BUT it does mean that posts like this one (from the OP, trying to warn others who are new) are valuable and should be appreciated
(06-02-2019, 03:53 PM)saraholson Wrote: Auto-renewal is a known tactic businesses use to increase customer retention. They know not everyone will remember to cancel. That's why we get emails about everything under the sun except "reminder: your subscription will renew on X date and you'll be charged X amount". Companies don't send those types of emails because they are hoping we won't remember to cancel.

Here is an article (amongst many) on the subject:https://www.inc.com/andrew-griffiths/how...olicy.html

I have worked in collections for about 15 years and one of the main things companies push is getting people to sign up for autopay or auto-renew. Autopay reduces delinquency and auto-renew keeps membership numbers up. 

It's not insulting to straighterline to indicate that factually, they are choosing auto renew as a path to make more money (like every other business online nowdays). 

Yes, I forgot to cancel the very first month I had a SL sub (2 years ago now) because I didn't realize i could continue using the service if i cancelled in the middle of my membership. I thought it would cut off access. So I waited until what i thought was the last day, but it turns out it was actually one day prior that i should have cancelled. It's an easy mistake to make when you are totally unfamiliar with these providers. I don't think there is any shame in someone forgetting. I also don't think there's any shame in SL having this policy. BUT it does mean that posts like this one (from the OP, trying to warn others who are new) are valuable and should be appreciated

I'm not going to argue the merits of their business plan- their program costs $99 per month plain and simple black and white. If you want 1 month, buy 1 month. If you need 6, buy 6. SL isn't being in the least bit shady here. I can't imagine them being any more transparent.

Seriously, advocating for the consumer is my jam, I'll be the first to call out SL if they do something wrong (you can search my posts, you'll find I've done so on numerous occasions, especially when they were experimenting with participating in financial aid- which was a total scam) I literally spend every single day teaching parents how NOT to be take advantage of by a college system.

But this is not that. This is a person's mistake, nothing more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 421 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,522 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 105 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,783 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 264 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 274 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  SDC Cancel before grade finalized Milky_Way 2 384 12-10-2023, 11:55 AM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 669 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 417 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 583 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM