Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline
I was thinking of having my daughter who is a junior in high school take some online classes from Straighterline to earn some college credits. While researching this option, I came across people saying that these credits won’t transfer into many B&M colleges. Anybody have any insight into this? I don’t want her to waste her time if they won’t transfer. Thanks!!
There are colleges that she can transfer these and similar non-traditional credits to, and Straighterline lists many of these schools on their website.

But it is also true that most colleges will not accept them. If she has an end goal in mind and you know where she's planning on going, you should check with that school first to make sure it's not a waste of time.

In high school, she might want to focus more on AP or CLEP exams instead. Those are much more versatile and more widely accepted (though still not guaranteed to be accepted everywhere --- Just more widely accepted).
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Muldoon
https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/
This list shows where straighterline already has transfer agreements. If she's planning on one of those colleges: GREAT! Otherwise, don't count on it.

If dual enrollment courses are available in your daughter's situation, that would be my #1 recommendation. Next would be AP courses. Finally, CLEPs.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(11-25-2018, 11:35 PM)MNomadic Wrote: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/
This list shows where straighterline already has transfer agreements. If she's planning on one of those colleges: GREAT! Otherwise, don't count on it.

If dual enrollment courses are available in your daughter's situation, that would be my #1 recommendation. Next would be AP courses. Finally, CLEPs.

I think even some of those colleges are very particular in what they will accept, and you should verify with the school before taking anything.  Things change regularly, and Straighterline doesn't always update their website when they do.

I agree that dual enrollment or AP is a better bet.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-25-2018, 10:18 PM)Marylunde Wrote: I was thinking of having my daughter who is a junior in high school take some online classes from Straighterline to earn some college credits. While researching this option, I came across people saying that these credits won’t transfer into many B&M colleges. Anybody have any insight into this? I don’t want her to waste her time if they won’t transfer. Thanks!!

Are you guys homeschooling or is she a public/private student? I ask because as a homeschooler, you can use SL for her curriculum and specifically pick a partner college that will guarantee transfer. In that case you are working toward her degree ahead of time (homeschooling for college credit- my specialty!)

OTOH, if she is a public/private school student, you're going to have to consider that adding to her course load for limited transfer credit might not be a good use of resources. In that case, she may already have access to dual enrollment or AP courses, both are going to align with what she's already doing - and not add to her workload.

As a high school junior, she may be starting to have a good idea of potential careers, and if so, you can do some background research into what type of education is required and where she might be able to get her education. Having some of those questions answered in advance will improve your chances of selecting college credit options that are efficient and save her time/money in the long run.

Also, if you tell me what state you're in, I can help you look into possible free tuition options (not every state has those for high school students, but some do)
CLEP's are the most versatile and easiest to schedule. AP's are good too, but the tests are known to be more difficult and they are only offered once a year on specific dates in May. Whereas, CLEPs can be taken anytime, so it would be easier to take the tests as she learns rather than waiting until May.
(12-02-2018, 01:23 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 10:18 PM)Marylunde Wrote: I was thinking of having my daughter who is a junior in high school take some online classes from Straighterline to earn some college credits.  While researching this option,  I came across people saying that these credits won’t transfer into many B&M colleges.  Anybody have any insight into this?  I don’t want her to waste her time if they won’t transfer.  Thanks!!

Are you guys homeschooling or is she a public/private student?  I ask because as a homeschooler, you can use SL for her curriculum and specifically pick a partner college that will guarantee transfer. In that case you are working toward her degree ahead of time (homeschooling for college credit- my specialty!)

OTOH, if she is a public/private school student, you're going to have to consider that adding to her course load for limited transfer credit might not be a good use of resources.  In that case, she may already have access to dual enrollment or AP courses, both are going to align with what she's already doing - and not add to her workload.  

As a high school junior, she may be starting to have a good idea of potential careers, and if so, you can do some background research into what type of education is required and where she might be able to get her education.  Having some of those questions answered in advance will improve your chances of selecting college credit options that are efficient and save her time/money in the long run.

Also, if you tell me what state you're in, I can help you look into possible free tuition options (not every state has those for high school students, but some do)
(03-28-2019, 01:35 AM)mrswicker12 Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 01:23 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 10:18 PM)Marylunde Wrote: I was thinking of having my daughter who is a junior in high school take some online classes from Straighterline to earn some college credits.  While researching this option,  I came across people saying that these credits won’t transfer into many B&M colleges.  Anybody have any insight into this?  I don’t want her to waste her time if they won’t transfer.  Thanks!!

Are you guys homeschooling or is she a public/private student?  I ask because as a homeschooler, you can use SL for her curriculum and specifically pick a partner college that will guarantee transfer. In that case you are working toward her degree ahead of time (homeschooling for college credit- my specialty!)

OTOH, if she is a public/private school student, you're going to have to consider that adding to her course load for limited transfer credit might not be a good use of resources.  In that case, she may already have access to dual enrollment or AP courses, both are going to align with what she's already doing - and not add to her workload.  

As a high school junior, she may be starting to have a good idea of potential careers, and if so, you can do some background research into what type of education is required and where she might be able to get her education.  Having some of those questions answered in advance will improve your chances of selecting college credit options that are efficient and save her time/money in the long run.

mrswicker, I don't think your question posted. Can you please ask it again?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 520 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 171 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,098 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 327 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 305 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 707 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 432 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 625 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,163 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,085 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138