Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Anti-cheating
Look, I like to take my classes the honest way, but it doesn't seem like anything stops me from cheating on the graded exams before the final. Am I missing something? Is there something I don't understand here?
What stops you from cheating on homework assignments at a traditional brick and mortar? The final proctored assignments attempt to keep you honest, but cheaters are going to cheat if they really want to, just like at a traditional school.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • Life_One, Toastmaster, YankeeDoodle
(12-22-2018, 04:14 PM)jsd Wrote: What stops you from cheating on homework assignments at a traditional brick and mortar? The final proctored assignments attempt to keep you honest, but cheaters are going to cheat if they really want to, just like at a traditional school.

I wonder what the future attempts to ensure academic integrity will bring.
(12-22-2018, 03:59 PM)YankeeDoodle Wrote: Look, I like to take my classes the honest way, but it doesn't seem like anything stops me from cheating on the graded exams before the final. Am I missing something? Is there something I don't understand here?

Your graded exams (pre-final) are open book. You ARE allowed to look up the answers. Read the cover page before taking the exam for the full parameters of what you are/are not allowed to do.

What stops you? Same thing that stops anyone from doing anything wrong - integrity. As with all things in this life, having it is a choice.
Just an FYI, my last course I took at a B&M was open book tests. Even the final. Now, if you didn't read the book and think you can answer a TON of questions in 2 hours, you're dead wrong - so it didn't pay to "cheat" by not reading beforehand. But really, if teachers word questions correctly, they can stop you from cheating in that way, without having to implement anything.

I read every chapter, took notes, and then brought those into class and was able to get an easy A on every exam. But you could easily tell the people who hadn't read, furiously flipping through 4 chapters, trying to find the info, sweating profusely, looking completely panic-stricken. I'm pretty sure they didn't get an A on the exam (it was several people each exam that did it).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Sapientes, YankeeDoodle
Likewise, I just got done taking six classes at a CC and of them only one had any element that wasn't open book, and even for that class it was only the final that was closed book - all exams during the quarter were open book
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • YankeeDoodle
Most of my TESU online courses had open book midterms and finals. No notes, and you had to have a paper book. The proctors were fine with my having Post It flag marked pages, though. I agree that if you aren't already familiar with the book and material, open book isn't going to help you much. It's mainly good for fiddly stuff that you would otherwise have to painstakingly memorize.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Sapientes
(12-23-2018, 11:02 AM)davewill Wrote: Most of my TESU online courses had open book midterms and finals. No notes, and you had to have a paper book. The proctors were fine with my having Post It flag marked pages, though. I agree that if you aren't already familiar with the book and material, open book isn't going to help you much. It's mainly good for fiddly stuff that you would otherwise have to painstakingly memorize.

I don't think any of my TESU classes had open book exams! I do recall the worst hand pain of my life after my Social Psychology final - I had to ice it for 2 days. No lie. I'll take computerized any day!!
Here's another b&m example. I live in a notorious party school college town and work with a young woman with a journalism degree that doesn't strike me as being mathematically inclined. Out of curiosity, I asked what math courses she was required to pass in her degree program. Just one algebra class.
"How did you do?" "Terrible. I bombed every exam." "Wait, how did you pass if you bombed every exam?" "I passed based on my homework." "How were your exams so bad if your homework was strong enough to pass you?" "Oh, I had [fiance] do all my homework. He loves math." ".....So you cheated?" "..... I guess so. Everyone does it." "Wait wait....is that how all these rocks for brains party kids stagger out of here with a degree? They just find a nerdy kid to do their homework for them?" She looks at me incredulously. "Of course! Duh. You didn't know that? Everyone knows that."

Such an obvious disparity between homework and exam results over such a large sample size is far too anamalous for the faculty to not realize what's going on. They obviously don't care enough to do anything about it, which in the big picture, makes them complicit.

What's to stop you from cheating? Nothing but the desire and/or ability to actually learn something. Classes and colleges don't really have academic integrity. Individuals do. Or don't.

You really don't cheat the exam or the class or the college. You only cheat yourself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Sapientes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 524 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 175 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,460 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 333 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 323 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 711 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 437 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 635 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,169 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,090 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138