Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best prep for MBA
Hi all.  I have my BALS from TESU and am interested in getting an MBA.  Study.com was good for me before.  Do you think going through several of their business courses would give me enough background to knock out an MBA at WGU?  Guessing I'd start in 6-7 months.  Are any of the competitors (e.g. Saylor) significantly better?  There is always the, "Free", route but I'm not sure how to structure that.  It needs to be self-paced and not too long per class.  Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
(07-30-2019, 03:07 PM)jb111 Wrote: Hi all.  I have my BALS from TESU and am interested in getting an MBA.  Study.com was good for me before.  Do you think going through several of their business courses would give me enough background to knock out an MBA at WGU?  Guessing I'd start in 6-7 months.  Are any of the competitors (e.g. Saylor) significantly better?  There is always the, "Free", route but I'm not sure how to structure that.  It needs to be self-paced and not too long per class.  Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Hi 

Did you check the MBA school waiver the gmat? If the school does not waive ; you may need to prepare to take the GMAT first.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA

Completed: WGU MS-CIA & Masters University Isabel I, ENEB
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

if it were me I would do a BA in business first. i know that goes against conventional wisdom but trying to make a big step up in the complexity of material under a 6 month time crunch just doesn't seem enjoyable to me.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

If already have years of business experience you might not need to prepare too much. I always thought MBAs were for people who already had business experience or knowledge.
Thank you. I will do a little more digging.
(07-30-2019, 03:07 PM)jb111 Wrote: Hi all.  I have my BALS from TESU and am interested in getting an MBA.  Study.com was good for me before.  Do you think going through several of their business courses would give me enough background to knock out an MBA at WGU?  Guessing I'd start in 6-7 months.  Are any of the competitors (e.g. Saylor) significantly better?  There is always the, "Free", route but I'm not sure how to structure that.  It needs to be self-paced and not too long per class.  Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

The Study.com courses aren't going to replace hands-on business experience, but they will introduce you to the material and give you a leg up if you really pay attention to what they teach you. If you're going to WGU, they don't have any specific course prerequisites, but other schools may require you to take specific courses if you're not coming in with a prior business degree. For those prerequisite courses, they usually won't allow ACE courses.

WGU does require a bachelor's degree and a resume showing at least 3 years of experience in business. Other schools require much more.

That said, having experience with the core MBA subjects (HR, Business Ethics, Marketing, Business Communications, Operations & Logistics, Financial & Managerial Accounting, International Finance, Global Economics, and Statistics, plus whatever your specialization is in) will make the courses go a bit faster since you'll already understand the concepts. At the masters level, the material is basically the same, but it is more about understanding when and how to use those concepts.

As was mentioned above, an MBA is really designed for people who already have significant business experience or at least a strong background in business from an undergrad business degree. That said, there are plenty of people who get MBA's who come from non-business backgrounds (healthcare and education are big at WGU for example). The less business background you have going in, the harder the courses are going to be. For example, at WGU there are a number of people in the program that I know who are flying through the courses (myself included), and I know there are also people who are struggling to meet their minimum requirement of 3 courses per term because it is taking them 2-3 months to get through a single course because they either don't have the background and experience, or don't have the writing skills and stamina needed to push through quickly.

I'm starting my MBA capstone this week and will be done within a single term, but I have a BSBA and 30-years of business operations experience. The only thing slowing me down is my non-school obligations (which keep piling up on me, unfortunately).

Many non-executive MBAs are 2-year programs designed for people who are coming in without business experience. Executive MBAs are usually a year or so, but they are designed for people with significant business experience. If you don't have a business background or business degree and have your heart set on an MBA, then I'd say go for it as long as you can meet the entrance requirements and don't mind taking a while to get to the end.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • jb111
Thank you all.
You could do the free stuff first if you wanted to try to get some of those out of the way: Modern States, OnlineDegree, ACDC Econ, Khan Academy, Saylor, etc.

I would also say that when you're ready for Study.com, you don't have to do the accelerator membership, since you don't actually need the credit, but the knowledge.

Look at the courses you're going to take, and then go to the BSBA and see what the courses are that would get you ready for the MBA - econ, accounting, finance, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jb111
edX has a MicroMaster called 'MBA Core Curriculum' - https://www.edx.org/micromasters/USMx-UM...Curriculum
You can take the program for Free (you won't earn the MicroMaster, but you'll gain the knowledge); this could be a good way to get exposed to the topics (it does align with general MBA subjects - regardless of school affiliation. Financial Accounting = Financial Accounting, no matter where you learn it)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

allvia Wrote:edX has a MicroMaster called 'MBA Core Curriculum' - https://www.edx.org/micromasters/USMx-UM...Curriculum
You can take the program for Free (you won't earn the MicroMaster, but you'll gain the knowledge); this could be a good way to get exposed to the topics (it does align with general MBA subjects - regardless of school affiliation. Financial Accounting = Financial Accounting, no matter where you learn it)

This is exactly what I recommend, either though edX or other free MOOC providers, you may not get the college credit at the graduate level unless you go for the MicroMasters, but that's not what you're looking for. You should go through all the "crash courses" you can through MOOC, Youtube, other self study methods, maybe even sign up for the FREE Smart.Ly MBA program courses, etc... to get the Basics pat down.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com acquires Enhanced Prep (K-12 tutoring, College Prep Provider) bjcheung77 5 803 03-05-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Question How good are the Study.com TECEP prep courses? Merlin 10 4,016 11-12-2020, 07:42 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Anybody use SDC for clep/dsst prep? SCYankee 7 1,229 01-30-2020, 04:18 PM
Last Post: diminutive
  Study.com DSST test prep courses Sb2013 3 1,070 06-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Straighterline C++ final exam prep. justinhemi 5 2,235 04-11-2019, 10:50 AM
Last Post: justinhemi
  Study.com CLEP/DSST Prep mysonx3 2 1,228 10-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Last Post: Cliff
  Study.com CLEP Prep? leland.kirk 2 1,334 06-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  Study.com Praxis 2 test prep? acamp 1 4,128 05-06-2018, 11:10 PM
Last Post: KAnn
  Study.com UExcel World Conflicts Since 1900: Study Guide & Test Prep npk32 9 3,509 02-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsh1138