Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline English Comp
(08-02-2018, 02:50 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I also recommend Sophia for anything. Their platform is EXCELLENT. I wish they would add more courses.

I think, though I can not confirm, that Sophia develops their own curriculum. I do know that SL buys theirs from a third party. IF that's true, it makes sense that Sophia can improve user experience as they go whereas SL, being a retailer of sorts, might not have the capacity for improvement within the product.
(08-02-2018, 02:50 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I also recommend Sophia for anything. Their platform is EXCELLENT. I wish they would add more courses.

I generally avoid Sophia primarily on the basis of cost. If they lowered their prices to be ≤ $100 per course, I'd consider taking more courses with them for sure as their platform is good. As it is, I can't justify it since everything they have that I need I can also get from SL or Study.com, and at a much-reduced overall cost.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
**Ding ding, I just LOVE Sophia courses as well, just that they're expensive. If you can get the "HalfOff" coupon for Phoenix, take the courses and then transfer it in... it's $75 for the 3 credit course for Ancient Greek Philosophers and $149 or something for the rest... not too bad for the new course, but about double the cost for the other providers. If they had other courses that were all $75-$100, then it would be worth it.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
@merlin it is expensive. I wont recommend if for say Bio or Envi sci But if the length of time to finish a course is long like the math or economics or you need time for whatever reason its actually cost effective (a similar model to ed4credit).

A course costs $329. Lets say a student is really bad at math but needs college algebra or statistics. If they take Sophia college algebra they have 2 months to finish it and an extra one month if they need it, so they take 3 months to work on it. They spend $329. 3 months of the same course at SDC is $600 and 3 months at SL is like $359-$429 (instructor led) for the same course. Not to mention that you have a flexible start and once you buy like 3 courses you pay half price and a lot of other deals like payment plans etc. Its a premium platform.

And if you value quality instruction over price you cant go wrong, the cost is steep but now that I need to do a quality calc I course. It would have help if Sophia had one and I wont mind the price. Cause SL calc exams dosent align with instruction, SDC is watered down non-STEM garbage and Saylor is all over the place. So if sophia had one I would definately do it.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • a2jc4life
(08-02-2018, 11:18 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @merlin it is expensive. I wont recommend if for say Bio or Envi sci But if the length of time to finish a course is long like the math or economics or you need time for whatever reason its actually cost effective (a similar model to ed4credit).

A course costs $329. Lets say a student is really bad at math but needs college algebra or statistics. If they take Sophia college algebra they have 2 months to finish it and an extra one month if they need it, so they take 3 months to work on it. They spend $329. 3 months of the same course at SDC is $600 and 3 months at SL is like $359-$429 (instructor led) for the same course. Not to mention that you have a flexible start and once you buy like 3 courses you pay half price and a lot of other deals like payment plans etc. Its a premium platform.

And if you value quality instruction over price you cant go wrong, the cost is steep but now that I need to do a quality calc I course. It would have help if Sophia had one and I wont mind the price. Cause SL calc exams dosent align with instruction, SDC is watered down non-STEM garbage and Saylor is all over the place. So if sophia had one I would definately do it.

Getting a little side tracked, but I thought I'd mention that after they Grant you an extra month for a course, they will also give you a final 15 day extension as well. So a full 3.5 months if you really need it.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • a2jc4life, cookderosa
So far, the grading process has been better this time around. Any comments and downgrading I'm getting are valid (in terms of the rubric), and make contextual sense.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 391 25 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 100 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,742 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 262 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,202 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,744 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 666 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir