Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline - Financial Aid Survey
I don't know what Straighterline has up it's sleeve, but I got a survey today via email asking me if I was interested in using Financial Aid for their courses.  Interesting!

Also, when you fill out the survey, it gives a promo code SPECIALTHANKS for $25 off of any course.
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toastmaster's post:
  • cookderosa
I received the same email and completed the survey. I know the Obama administration had a program going piloting financial aid for alternative sources of credit. I don't know if that will continue under the current administration.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-22-2017, 09:04 PM)sanantone Wrote: I received the same email and completed the survey. I know the Obama administration had a program going piloting financial aid for alternative sources of credit. I don't know if that will continue under the current administration.

Didn't know that was a thing. Of course, I didn't know alternative credit was a thing until my last day at CC...
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Got this email as well. I am not crazy about them going to Financial Aid. For one thing, it is one of the few online college credit sources where you do not have to fill out all these forms and wait for FA to kick in or reimburse or etc. Also, (perhaps I am being pessimistic) I feel that when Colleges go by Financial Aid they assume everyone can get it and apply toward their schools when not everyone can. Part of me wonders if SL would end up raising their prices even more but then again, affordability is their selling point. I am still hesitant and think dabbling in Financial Aid will complicate things a little bit.

The reasoning for it would be if you had say the Pell grant you could easily pay for a good bit of your degree with it without shelling out some money.

Any other thoughts about it?
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

(08-23-2017, 03:44 PM)teacher2 Wrote: Got this email as well. I am not crazy about them going to Financial Aid. For one thing, it is one of the few online college credit sources where you do not have to fill out all these forms and wait for FA to kick in or reimburse or etc. Also, (perhaps I am being pessimistic) I feel that when Colleges go by Financial Aid they assume everyone can get it and apply toward their schools when not everyone can. Part of me wonders if SL would end up raising their prices even more but then again, affordability is their selling point. I am still hesitant and think dabbling in Financial Aid will complicate things a little bit.

The reasoning for it would be if you had say the Pell grant you could easily pay for a good bit of your degree with it without shelling out some money.

Any other thoughts about it?

The way it'll probably work is that you'll receive financial aid through the school, and SL will have a consortium agreement. As with anything, you can always opt to pay out of pocket.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Can't get the song out of my head..... Students all over the world -join hands. Start a debt train, debt train..... oh wait, maybe those aren't the right words.
The intention would be to reduce student loan debt by paying for cheaper courses and to stretch grant money further. Otherwise, people with no cash will opt to only take traditional courses because they're covered by financial aid. Most of the money I used to pay for alternative sources of credit came from leftover financial aid. I didn't have the cash to pay for anything when earning my first BA.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • varJosh
(08-23-2017, 10:10 PM)sanantone Wrote: The intention would be to reduce student loan debt by paying for cheaper courses and to stretch grant money further. Otherwise, people with no cash will opt to only take traditional courses because they're covered by financial aid. Most of the money I used to pay for alternative sources of credit came from leftover financial aid. I didn't have the cash to pay for anything when earning my first BA.

Same.  It's really frustrating to me that I can get financial aid for expensive, time-consuming courses, but if I want to be more efficient with my time and money, I'm on my own.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 524 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 175 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,492 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 335 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 324 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 711 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 437 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 639 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,172 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,091 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138