Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Straighterline New Proctor Policy Change
JasonBrown Wrote:A law firm rep contacted me after posting this. We are now in the process of gathering information for a class action and will possibly be filing suit if they decide to get this changed.

If they decide to yank my credits from earlier this year, you can add my name to the lawsuit. As far as I'm concerned that's a breach of contract in spirit at least. I followed their rules that existed when I signed up and paid my money in full. To try and get more money out of me now is just shy of extortion. Hopefully since these credits already appear on my ACE transcript and I've transferred them to TESC that won't happen, although I'm not officially enrolled at TESC yet.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Maybe if SL takes a look at this thread, and gives this a second thought, everyone can be saved some trouble.
I would doubt that they will go back and have people re-test from the far past. You may find them doing it with people who pass an excessive amount of classes this month, especially after this was announced, but I don't think anyone that has any credits on an ACE transcript need worry. JMHO Smile
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
I’m out of work in a few minutes so I can devote more time on this topic/thread. But is anyone interested in starting a petition for this cause? We can create one online. If we get a lot of people to vote on the petition, most likely it will be thrown out.

This also reminds me when Bank of America was charging a $5 fee a month on top of the fees they already have. A lot of people hit BoA’s facebook page, and a lot of negativity , BoA decided to throw that charge out the window. When a company gets a lot of negative feedback from loyal customers, it becomes a problem.

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
Boooooooo. Even BEFORE this, I've only ever said that I "don't hate" SL but would never go so far as to say that I thought it was a great company...now? Forget them. First off, they are not even a college, so unless a college openly accepts ACE evaluated courses, this is a total roll of the dice. Secondly, competitors like (ALEKS) charge a fraction of the cost for the same type (better IMO) of computer-class. I'm just completely unimpressed with SL in all areas (including the multiple troubles I had during the 3 courses my son took), and this just takes the cake.
I'll sign a petition. The biggest reason's I went with SL was because of the low cost, go at your own pace, no hassle's or jumping thru hoops to get credit transferred to ACE, and no additional cost to complete the course. Essentially that's why I didn't go with Penn Foster because SL had a more stream line to credit and success, with this change you have additional steps, fees, hardware and software needed to run Proctor U, internet connection speeds, and you have to take time off and schedule a proctor session. If SL could guaranty that credit would transfer to non partner's or would let you select your own proctoring service like a non-profit entity (library, local CC...etc) I would gladly pay additional fees, but paying a for-profit company to watch me take a test, give them access to my computer and show my personal information to some stranger... now that's a no go. How do I know that the people they hire are legit? Do they do a LiveScan or background check?
I'd be willing to sign a petition... but I probably couldn't do so legally. I'm minor (17). hilarious
Dang you're young my friend! Signing a petition online is free and you don't need any sort of identification to sign it. All you do is basically hit "Vote" lol.

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
bldclot2 Wrote:This move is more about making money than academic integrity. Even the community college courses I have taken in the past have never required proctors, and yes I understand that they are trying to validate their service and be more appealing to future institutions, but why make proctoring mandatory if not all current partner schools require it.

Does Straighterline get any of the $30 when you use ProctorU?
cookderosa Wrote:Boooooooo. Even BEFORE this, I've only ever said that I "don't hate" SL but would never go so far as to say that I thought it was a great company...now? Forget them. First off, they are not even a college, so unless a college openly accepts ACE evaluated courses, this is a total roll of the dice. Secondly, competitors like (ALEKS) charge a fraction of the cost for the same type (better IMO) of computer-class. I'm just completely unimpressed with SL in all areas (including the multiple troubles I had during the 3 courses my son took), and this just takes the cake.

Yeah, I'll recommend folks look at other options now myself. The part that really irks me is that I chose SL because of the low cost and speed to finish credits I could have taken CLEP or DSST exams for instead. Those at least are far more transferrable but at the time SL seemed like a quicker option since it didn't matter to TESC which option I went with. I'm really unhappy about this and will be in a litigious mood if they try and yank my credits. :mad:
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College Algebra no Proctor smilingtimes 11 2,437 09-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: QuickDegree223
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 631 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Proctor U (Proctor FU) with Coopersmith... still just as bad studyingfortests 11 1,934 05-22-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 830 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 666 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 672 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
  Columbia College - Missouri, Second BA policy vintage_jacket 9 1,111 09-08-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,073 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  In ‘Historic’ Vote, UVA Students Vote to Change 180-Year-Old Honor Policy LevelUP 0 841 03-10-2022, 08:40 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 883 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM