Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Straighterline New Proctor Policy Change
http://www.change.org/petitions/straight...aminations

The petition is now up. I copied and pasted some information used in the thread for the description , if any changes please let me know I'll edit it.

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
I just read this thread today. And this is really bad for new and old students. While some people are able to finish courses in a month it is because they studied with anticipation and where able to learn the material faster, other people like me are not as fast but like the service that straighterline provides (study anytime, not going to a classroom, learning something new). Still I was able to finish many courses in a reasonable period of time (3 weeks or more). Now all the Straighterline courses are not a walk on the park. They have the same level as any live college classroom without the human interaction in the classroom. It is not fair to demand additionals steps from either old or new students. Whether they finish a course fast or they finish the course slower. I am very upset about this change. I am person that took certain courses at the beginning to complete my degree like everybody. But as far as a few months ago I was taking some courses just to have some fun and learn about the topics that I was interested in. But I am lucky enough no to need them to complete my education.
I really hope that they reverse this planned change.
Signed just now Smile

Ace_King Wrote:Petition | Straighterline: Stop the new policy requiring PROCTORED examinations. | Change.org

The petition is now up. I copied and pasted some information used in the thread for the description , if any changes please let me know I'll edit it.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

How is one to get on if they finished the program months ago in a short time frame, ie 1 week. They have more than likely sold their books onwards. So they have to go and re-purchase the book again and have to relearn everything.
As others have said on here, you may have finished a course in 2 days or 2 months. You do it in your own time, some people do not have employment, some have prior knowledge so it doesn't take long to get through it.
They shouldn't try and fix something when it is not broken.
Leave the option to have proctoring if your school "REQUIRES" it. They will lose some loyal customers for sure
Set yourself goals, not limitations
I would like to suggest another thread with an eye-catching title, like Sign Petition to Stop Straighterline Proctoring.
So maybe more folks on here might see it.
In light of the changes it further reinforces that ever since the site was determined to not be using https properly, I was not keen to use their services.
And while they claim they fixed it, the reality is they did not. Its not a truly secure designed and implemented solution. It was just an https overlay to the existing site.
And now this is just cement in the coffin for them as far as I am concerned.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
I just signed the petition.
Ace_King Wrote:Dang you're young my friend! Signing a petition online is free and you don't need any sort of identification to sign it. All you do is basically hit "Vote" lol.
I am, and sometimes my inexperience and lack of wisdom speak loudly. I didn't now anyone could sign it so I'll definitely check out it.

What I REALLY don't like is that they're flagging the accounts where the student moved through rather quickly. Having talked with them in past (before even signing up) the average time for someone to complete a course was 40 days. I'd bet very FEW people on here spent that long.
Also what stinks is that you're at risk for being flagged if you speed up and spend double to triple the time in the next few weeks (before 11/1) to finish up some courses. That's if you want to avoid spending an additional $90 like me.
And how about this? What happens if Procter U can't get you in and your month with SL ends by then? No only are you forced to spend the 30 bucks for proctoring, but another 100 bucks for another month of SL.
Just looking at the proctoring side of things, I dislike the fact that they not only have to take a picture of you, but of your I.D.! I'd rather have my local proctor (or librarian, etc.) verify everything and let me take the test. I'd rather sacrifice my my comfort then my identity. The fact that they only have ONE option for proctoring and EVERY possible course will now have it as a requirement.

I hope SL nows that for ever school they think they'll be gaining, they'll be losing a dozen times more students. Just look at the commotion this thread alone has caused. In just over 20 hours, over 38 posts and not 1 is in support of it (I doubt a thread here on IC since it began has had 38+ posts inside of 24 hours).
This is their facebook site: StraighterLine - Baltimore, MD - Educational Service, Adult Education | Facebook
Please let them know you disagree with this new rule change
IrishJohn Wrote:If they decide to yank my credits from earlier this year, you can add my name to the lawsuit. As far as I'm concerned that's a breach of contract in spirit at least. I followed their rules that existed when I signed up and paid my money in full. To try and get more money out of me now is just shy of extortion. Hopefully since these credits already appear on my ACE transcript and I've transferred them to TESC that won't happen, although I'm not officially enrolled at TESC yet.

We got 9 people right now signed up right now and are working on getting more people. There are also a group of people working on a complaint for false advertising. This will definitely be going through once the change is made.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College Algebra no Proctor smilingtimes 11 2,266 09-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: QuickDegree223
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 599 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Proctor U (Proctor FU) with Coopersmith... still just as bad studyingfortests 11 1,887 05-22-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 811 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 607 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 649 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
  Columbia College - Missouri, Second BA policy vintage_jacket 9 1,067 09-08-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,053 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  In ‘Historic’ Vote, UVA Students Vote to Change 180-Year-Old Honor Policy LevelUP 0 829 03-10-2022, 08:40 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 864 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM